Author Topic: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got  (Read 86460 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Post The Science-and-Skepticism-i-est Images You've Got
« Reply #1080 on: October 04, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »
How good a ship do you need to send them on a one-way trip, really? A waste of good fuel, maybe?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #1081 on: October 04, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »
How good a ship do you need to send them on a one-way trip, really? A waste of good fuel, maybe?
I'd send them to see those reclusive natives in the Indian Ocean and load that ship up with politicians.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1082 on: October 05, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »

InSight on a Cloudy Day
Image Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech, Mars InSight
Explanation: Clouds drift through the sky as the light fades near sunset in this three frame animated gif. The scene was captured on sol 145 beginning around 6:30pm local time by a camera on the Mars InSight lander. Of course, InSight's martian day, sol 145, corresponds to Earth calendar date April 25, 2019. Under the 69 centimeter (2.3 foot) diameter dome in the foreground is the lander's sensitive seismometer SEIS designed to detect marsquakes. Earthquakes reveal internal structures on planet Earth, and so tremors detected by SEIS can explore beneath the martian surface. In particular, two typical marsquakes were recorded by SEIS on May 22 (sol 173) and July 25 (sol 235). The subtle tremors from the Red Planet are at very low frequencies though, and for listening have to be processed into the audio frequency range. In the sped up recordings external noises more prevalent on cool martian evenings and likely caused by mechanical shifts and contractions have been technically dubbed dinks and donks.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1083 on: October 05, 2019, 03:23:36 PM »

EDIT:

Took me way too long to spot the error.

EDIT 2:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:44:51 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1084 on: October 05, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »

You can generally start from the assumption that things like this have snuck in division by zero somewhere, and then look for that specifically.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1085 on: October 05, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »

You can generally start from the assumption that things like this have snuck in division by zero somewhere, and then look for that specifically.

There was a lot of drinking this week.
Mooohn!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1086 on: October 05, 2019, 08:36:22 PM »

Jupiter and the Moons
Image Credit & Copyright: Derek Demeter (Emil Buehler Planetarium)
Explanation: After sunset on October 3, some of the Solar System's largest moons stood low along the western horizon with the largest planet. Just after nightfall, a pairing of the Moon approaching first quarter phase and Jupiter was captured in this telephoto field of view. A blend of short and long exposures, it reveals the familiar face of our fair planet's own large natural satellite in stark sunlight and faint earthshine. At lower right are the ruling gas giant and its four Galilean moons. Left to right, the tiny pinpricks of light are Ganymede, [Jupiter], Io, Europa, and Callisto. Our own natural satellite appears to loom large because it's close, but Ganymede, Io, and Callisto are actually larger than Earth's Moon. Water world Europa is only slightly smaller. Of the Solar System's six largest planetary satellites, only Saturn's moon Titan, is missing from this scene. But be sure to check for large moons in your sky tonight.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1087 on: October 05, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »
I recently got to see that for myself for the first time in my adult life through a friend's telescope. That and the rings of Saturn. One of those things that make you go "holy crap it's actually real!". }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #1088 on: October 06, 2019, 06:17:26 AM »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1089 on: October 06, 2019, 06:24:58 AM »
Is it okay to post the APOD images here or should I start a new thread? Either way works for me. (I won't do big blobby clouds of gas, just ones that strike me.)

Offline Ron Obvious

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1090 on: October 06, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #1091 on: October 12, 2019, 11:27:52 PM »
Awesome example of how to lie with statistics:

"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1092 on: October 13, 2019, 07:47:30 AM »
Conclusions aside, there's something very satisfying about that visualization method.
Mooohn!

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1093 on: October 13, 2019, 07:51:34 AM »
Unfortunately,  here in the US, we do often vote by "land".
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1094 on: October 13, 2019, 08:54:23 AM »
Yeah but even if you adjusted the resulting sizes based on relative electoral college voting power, it would still effectively refute the "impeach this" version of the unedited county map that's supposed to look like the vast majority of the country supported Trump.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

personate-rain