Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 26848 times)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #375 on: January 06, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Playing Destiny on the Xbox One. Had rented it on the 360, before, without expansions, so I was capped below the max level.

Now I can access end-game content, and it's cool, but I can see an endless MMO grind before me. It is way addictive. I have my first 350-power weapon, which is pretty cool. I think the random drops get better as your light level goes up? It's kind of a cool mechanic, but it also means your progress is slowed down, and the only time you get a real boost is when you have enough legendary marks to buy high-level items, like my new gun.

But more importantly, the gameplay is so tight. I don't know how Bungie made those guns feel so good to shoot with. Missions and PvP are endlessly interesting.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #376 on: January 06, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
Mini Metro (on iOS, but also available on PC) - 10/10

I spent more time with this game than with my family over the holidays.  That should be enough of a review.

This game will inevitably build in your soul a hatred of circles.

I played the hell out of that when it was in beta, I had to walk away because it was such a time sink.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #377 on: January 09, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »
Transport Fever

7/10

I think it's more like a Transport Mild Cold.  It scratches that Railroad Tycoon itch, but not in a way that's super satisfying.  The sandbox game generates a random terrain that's often infuriatingly difficult to optimize.  The level of difficulty varies somewhat depending on how lucky you were with the generator seed.

These kinds of games tend to be pretty glitchy and there's a fair share of "what the ..." moments when building rails or roads where the algorithm picks a terrible path, especially if you're making really long segments.  But it's more stable than I remember the last Tycoon being, so there's that.

The depth of the stuff you play with, from production chains to transport is a mixed bag.  They have ships and planes which is cool, but the production chains are not particularly varied.  On the other hand that's kind of a blessing given how the random map generator flings steel mills far away from from iron and coal mines sometimes.

The bottom line is that if you just need a Railroad Tycoon game, it'll do.  If you also need depth and polish, it won't.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #378 on: February 03, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »
I noticed somehow that I have skyrim game of the year edition that I never played. I don't remember buying that version but it's in my steam account and haven't played skyrim in a very long time so have been giving it a go. There's actually different colors! It looks great and has been fun to come back to. My laptop is from 2011 and all I have to game on so till I upgrade can't get into overwatch or fallout 4 yet.  One day...

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »
Kicked the shit out of Streets of Rage 2.
Had a go at Streets of Rage 3.
How did these games get worse as they went along?
I love that the game intro tells you the crisis and takes the time to say that the main black character is 'busy'.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
Mad Max game on Steam. It's like RAGE but better, really feels like a Mad Max game should. Arkham Asylum-esque melee combat and the vehicle combat is pretty fun too.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
Anyone played Frog Fractions 2.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »
MGSV: The Phantom Pain 6/10

The good- Quite realistic gameplay.
VERY well researched.
Some of the ways you can finish a mission are really satisfying.
Best dog side kick in any game.

The bad- Embarrassingly awful and cringe worthy story, dialogue and character concepts.
Intrusive storyline and annoying exposition.
Why set it in the 80s if you are going to give the character super tech on par with todays weapons and computers? Why take his hand away if you are going to invent a bionic arm to replace it with in the first scene?
Why make boss enemies that can defy the laws of physics to the point that it feels SO videogamey to beat them? The game is set up incredibly well with a brilliant combat system, but you cant use it against these invincible enemies and are forced to spam stupid, repetitive actions to get to the next level.
Pretentious storyline
(click to show/hide)
ugh.

Im a completionist so I wanted to finish all the mgs games. Thankfully Kojima isnt allowed to do any more.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »
Played through the Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands: Open Beta this weekend. If you played the Mercenaries game on Xbox, you might enjoy this one. It really does capture the feeling of massively outclassing enemy fighters in terms of tech and tactics. On the whole, feels like an okay Ghosts game. I dunno, 7/10? Passing grade, not amazing, will pick up on steam sale.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »

Heh, I'm totally with you there. I loved the gameplay (and sticking balloons to goats doesn't get old ever), but had to put the game down after a while because of all the infuriatingly dumb shit around it.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Harry Black

« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »

Heh, I'm totally with you there. I loved the gameplay (and sticking balloons to goats doesn't get old ever), but had to put the game down after a while because of all the infuriatingly dumb shit around it.
I liken it to getting a blowjob during a really bad movie but where your partner stops pleasuring you to watch all the worst scenes.
The final mission and cutscene is absurd.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
Started Horizon: Zero Dawn last night. Only about 2 hours into it but REALLY enjoying it.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »
Breath of the Wild has been dispatched! I am stupidly excited. I will have it in a day or two.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
Started Horizon: Zero Dawn last night. Only about 2 hours into it but REALLY enjoying it.

Man, I want that game. Not going to buy a PS4 for it, though. Exclusives are bullshit. :(

Apparently it's the most expensive Dutch media production in history (something that is only of interest to Dutch people and even then, not to all that many of us, but there you go).
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
i want both... but owning neither platforms yet, that would turn into an $800+ investment.

I thought I was settled on eventually getting a PS4 for zero dawn, god of war, red dead. But man, Nintendo just threw me a curveball.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

personate-rain
personate-rain