Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 30210 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »
I mean, in practice it's 15 minutes of looting followed by 30 seconds of dying but it's still a fun game! Also I am sooo bad at FPSes. :(
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2017, 07:51:52 PM »
I don't own it, but it is extremely watchable on stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
Prey - 9/10

Been a long time since I devoured a game in the way I did this one.  The best of System Shock/Bioshock/even some Dead Space all mixed together.  With careful play I did eventually reach the "nothing can touch me" point, but thankfully only an hour or so before the ending, so didn't ruin the tension.  That was something to do with the order in which I did some optional objectives - had I done them in a different order, I think you could Superman your way through much of the game.

I did a zero-Typhon ability playthrough, and at some point I will probably do another playthrough.  I fear because the story is relatively linear that it won't be particularly amenable to a replay, but it's well worth the money even for the one time through.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:07:03 PM by TheIrreverend »
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »
SUPERHOT ~ 7/10

Finally sat down to it, and then it was over in like 2 hours... I applaud the originality of the concept and the narrative meta-games, but this was just too short for me to remember it in a year.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
SUPERHOT ~ 7/10

Finally sat down to it, and then it was over in like 2 hours... I applaud the originality of the concept and the narrative meta-games, but this was just too short for me to remember it in a year.

Based on the time I've spent on the game, I'd have to give it an 8 or up. For me, the challenge mode triggers the obsessive compulsive part of my brain quite satisfactorily. It's one of those games I can keep pounding away at while half-watching something else.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:33 AM »
I thought it was an awesome concept in search of a good game. More or less felt like a glorified tech demo to me. Granted, a really fun tech demo, but it never really felt like a full-fledged game. Worth the price though.

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
There's a VR version which I haven't played, but which I imagine makes it 7000% better.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »
X-Com 2, meh/10.  I'm nostalgic for the original so its cool but I don't think its that great other than that.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2017, 04:32:27 PM »
I am basically playing Fallout Shelter (Xbox One edition) every day. Even though it's a glorified phone app. But it's free, and addicting! And feature-heavy! Did I mention it's free?

If you enjoyed the phone version, this the same but better. There is a lot more to do.

Also trying to play through Dragon Age Inquisition. I wasn't sure at first, but it is getting better and better, actually.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
West of Loathing is the shit.  It is an open world RPG parody in a western setting with surprising depth of gameplay.  The soundtrack is boss, the puzzles are great, and way old school.  And at $11, it is really cheap.  If you but a copy, let me know.  I'll send you my spare horse armor
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:19:26 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #415 on: September 15, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
Been hooked on Echo Arena.  It's sort of like the battle room in Ender's Game in Virtual Reality.  It's Zero-G, you move around by grabbing stuff and pulling, or using small thrusters on your wrists.  You try to get a frisbee into a goal, but can also punch your opponents to stun them.  I've punched my printer and ceiling fan a few times.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »
Lifeline 7/10

Mobile text based game. Spaceship intern stranded on a strange moon starts sending you texts asking for help and advice to survive.
Its fun amd interesting. Theres a cool mystery.
I really enjoyed playing but it missed an opportunity to play up a Martian style scenario and instead gives you an increasingly less lovable character whose decisions and whining dont always endear him.

Honestly, its worth a look. It plays out over 3 days, the character more or less sleeps in real time and its a thing to do when you check your phone.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
Divinity: Original Sin 2 9.5/10

Like Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment/Pillars of Eternity? Well... then you've probably already read reviews and bought this, and good on ya!

It's an isometric tactical RPG tour de force, stuffed to the gills with quests and different ways to complete them, with excellent writing and voice-acting. And the sheer amount of shit you can do is staggering - the completionist in me squeals in delicious terror whenever I accidentally kill a NPC (they can all die!) and cut off a quest in progress.

Best thing: I've poured 30 hours into this so far... and I'm not even off the 'tutorial island' yet.

Teethering and I played the first one in co-op, which was a lot of fun. Hoping to do that with this one, too, and it's already become clear that's going to be a hundred times better.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
fallout 4  only a few hours in but enjoying it.  Its what I was expecting, but so much more crafting, almost to much.

overwatch   Its free to play this weekend but have already purchased it.  like a pretty tf2 tons of fun.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #419 on: September 27, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
Divinity: Original Sin 2 9.5/10

Like Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment/Pillars of Eternity? Well... then you've probably already read reviews and bought this, and good on ya!

It's an isometric tactical RPG tour de force, stuffed to the gills with quests and different ways to complete them, with excellent writing and voice-acting. And the sheer amount of shit you can do is staggering - the completionist in me squeals in delicious terror whenever I accidentally kill a NPC (they can all die!) and cut off a quest in progress.

Best thing: I've poured 30 hours into this so far... and I'm not even off the 'tutorial island' yet.

Teethering and I played the first one in co-op, which was a lot of fun. Hoping to do that with this one, too, and it's already become clear that's going to be a hundred times better.

Very much agree.  I am about 20 hours in, just got my source collar off.  Very, very fun game so far.

personate-rain