Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 43682 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #480 on: April 03, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
Is anyone else playing Subnautica? What a great game that is.

I absolutely adored it and did not find it too grindy. Can't wait for the expansion to be finalised. Probably the best survival game I've ever played.

I still haven't been able to find the power cell charger, so I'm not willing to take my Cyclops (which I have course named Polyphemus) out. Some of those really deep places are utterly terrifying. I also haven't been able to find any more of the

(click to show/hide)

so I'm still missing a lot of the good stuff.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #481 on: April 04, 2019, 05:05:58 AM »

I absolutely adored it and did not find it too grindy. Can't wait for the expansion to be finalised. Probably the best survival game I've ever played.

I still haven't been able to find the power cell charger, so I'm not willing to take my Cyclops (which I have course named Polyphemus) out. Some of those really deep places are utterly terrifying. I also haven't been able to find any more of the

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #482 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
The Witness  8/10

I loved the puzzles and the visuals and the environment. But to me it lacked something, cause when I finished the game it felt I needed more information.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #483 on: April 04, 2019, 09:18:18 AM »
The Witness  8/10

I loved the puzzles and the visuals and the environment. But to me it lacked something, cause when I finished the game it felt I needed more information.

Have you played Braid?  It's also by Jonathan Blow, and has a much more revealing storyline.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #484 on: April 04, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
Also since you're all raving about it Subnautica is 30% off right now.  I still have Celeste C sides to finish, but I'll consider putting it next on my game queue.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #485 on: April 04, 2019, 03:38:29 PM »
Also since you're all raving about it Subnautica is 30% off right now.  I still have Celeste C sides to finish, but I'll consider putting it next on my game queue.

Don't post this.  You bastard.  Now I want it.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #486 on: April 04, 2019, 06:17:20 PM »
The Witness  8/10

The puzzles are fantastic. Unfortunately, I can only play for a short amount of time. It makes me super nauseated.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #487 on: April 04, 2019, 08:44:01 PM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I want to keep talking about this but don't want to derail this thread with a whole bunch of spoilered messages, so I'm going to start a new thread, clearly marked spoiler-full so those who don't want spoilers can avoid it. :)
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #488 on: April 05, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »

Don't post this.  You bastard.  Now I want it.

Dammit, if you buy it with (or already own) Don't Starve together, you get an additional 20% off.

Now it is REALLY hard for me not to buy this.

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #489 on: April 05, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »
The Witness  8/10

Have you played Braid?  It's also by Jonathan Blow, and has a much more revealing storyline.
Yes, Certainly. I played it back when it came out. Basically one of the few downloadable games I actually bought when I had the 360. Played the demo and was hooked right away.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #490 on: April 07, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
I downloaded Borderlands GOTY Enhanced yesterday. It's free on Steam if you purchased the original version. If you've thought about revisiting Pandora, now's the time. The 4K is beautiful and they updated the minimap.
My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #491 on: June 05, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
Convoy - Fuck that game!

But not until I play it a few more times, dammit!   >:D

Its a great game, extremely frustrating in the same way that FTL was frustrating. You cant save properly. You can save and come back to the place you left off but if you die the save file goes away. AAAARRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minor spoiler with helpful game advice

(click to show/hide)

There are some great vehicles you can download. My favorite being the monster truck chainsaw rammer. I'm determined to beat this game at least once but I said that with FTL too and was never able too.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #492 on: June 06, 2019, 08:30:02 PM »
We busted that gate doing 98
Said let them truckers roll
10-4
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #493 on: June 09, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
For some reason I got sucked back into the original Doom games.  I played through the new Sigil WAD as well as Hell Revealed 2.  Did a few levels of Plutonia Experiment as well until I finally got tired of it.

I'm amazed how well a game from 1993/94 still holds up so well.  While a feature of the original two games, newer levels do a very good job forcing you to exploit the monster in-fighting mechanic.  There's also a greater emphasis on recognizing enemy line-of-sight, so you can pick off pesky arch-viles from a pack without getting pelted with fire and missiles.  I don't know if I would recommend actually playing all the way through any of the above custom WADs because they are brutally difficult, but maybe watch some of the speedrunner streams first and then attempt the easier levels.

And after 25 years, I *still* find myself physically leaning to the left or right when an imp fireball catches me by surprise.   :-\

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #494 on: June 09, 2019, 11:43:51 PM »
So I got Shadow of Mordor discounted to $15. I tried it, found the controls to be a little non-intuitive and the minimap hard to navigate. I'll probably go back to it soon. While I was there, just for the hell of it I thought I'd also download Fortnite.

This one I'm probably not going to go back to. I started it up and it told me to register. I said nah, and then it told me that if I don't register now I'll never have another chance. Never? I suppose I'd better then. It told me to go to a website and enter a code that's displayed on screen. So I did that, and received a message "invalid or expired code". With the expiry timer counting down from 10 minutes. I stared at that screen for a moment, tried again, with the same result, then quit.

If it's not easy, I don't care enough about it.