Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 49619 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #540 on: January 13, 2020, 03:29:51 pm »
Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon

I really loved the original Age of Mythology back in the days. I like the basic Age of Empires playing style (which I think came close to perfection in Age of Empires II), and Age of Mythology has that, and also soothes my interest in history and mythology, in addition to making the civilizations distinct, compared to Age of Empires. It also is somewhat faster-paced than the previous games, without compromising on the building and economy parts, which is really nice.

The original game had Greek, Egyptian, and Norse civilizations, and The Titans expansion added the Atlantean civilization, which is really a rehash of the Greek civilization as far as deities are concerned. I always thought that was a waste, and the Atlantean civilization is not well-designed IMO. I would have preferred a Mesoamerican civilization. This most recent expansion, Tale of the Dragon, adds the Chinese civilization. I think it is a good choice, and the civilization is well-designed as well.

The attentive readers will notice that the game is by nature anachronistic. Egyptian, Greek, and Norse cultures of the varieties in the game existed literally millennia apart from each other. The game is supposed to take place so long ago, "a time when history and myth are one".

Mild spoiler:
Spoiler
The new campaign, following the Chinese, was challenging, however it disappointed me in that I don't think the ending really wrapped up the story.
[close]

I hope for further expansions of this game. A Mesoamerican civilization would be very cool. But there are surely other options as well.

I certainly plan to replay the original campaign, following the trails of Arkantos, Ajax, Amanra, and the others. That campaign, though suffering a bit from being too repetitive at times (most of the time it is build a base, attack the enemy), has a very well-mad story IMO, and those who know about Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythologies will often recognize various parts of the campaign.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 14, 2020, 10:16:01 am »
Jedi: Fallen Order.
Boy, is this game great. Of course I am playing on Story Mode because I don't enjoy being repeatedly kicked in the head, but the gameplay is incredible, the graphics are magnificent, the plot is amazing and I actually care about the characters.

Yeah, I loved the game, though I think its strongest elements were the story, characters, and settings.  The gameplay was close to being truly special but it is a bit imprecise which led to a lot of frustrations on my part at Jedi Master level.  I'm no hardcore gamer, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a lack of skill as sometimes I could cut through a whole squad of shock and storm troopers in seconds, and other times I would struggle to land a single hit on one.  It was never so bad that I was ready to quit, save for the final boss, but everything else about the game kept me coming back for more.  Also, I rather like a narrative heavy game where completing everything isn't some sort of endurance challenge and is instead fun.  I'd put this game at a 8.5/10.

Thanks for the recommendation. Bought this for the boy's birthday and we are all loving it. Highlights include: The train set-piece at the beginning; giant arachnids; BD-1; story and acting; metroid-style level design. Is that a Sarlacc in the breaker's yard? Hoo boy. Fun fun fun.

We started out on Jedi Knight mode but I have now started again on Jedi Master just for kicks (hopefully not in the head).

A very well realized vision of the Star Wars universe.

'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
Is that a Sarlacc in the breaker's yard? Hoo boy. Fun fun fun.

There's lore about it. Look in your database.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 16, 2020, 02:19:36 pm »
I recently purchased Pharaoh (and Cleopatra), originally from 1999, on Steam for the meager price of 4.99 EUR, a true gem of childhood.

I played a few rounds with custom missions (not campaign), and I don't recall the game being so hard. It is very easy to go into debt, and very hard to get out of, and if you stay in debt for too long, eventually the armies of the Pharaoh will attack you, in which you are pretty much screwed. It was also a bit frustrating. How can people leave my city because there aren't enough jobs, meanwhile many of my industries are severely understaffed? ???

But still, the game is addictive. I will have to read up on some strategies for it. There should be an optimal amount of houses to build in order to neither get a shortage of workers or too much unemployment.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 16, 2020, 07:33:40 pm »
I recently purchased Pharaoh (and Cleopatra), originally from 1999, on Steam for the meager price of 4.99 EUR, a true gem of childhood.

I played a few rounds with custom missions (not campaign), and I don't recall the game being so hard. It is very easy to go into debt, and very hard to get out of, and if you stay in debt for too long, eventually the armies of the Pharaoh will attack you, in which you are pretty much screwed. It was also a bit frustrating. How can people leave my city because there aren't enough jobs, meanwhile many of my industries are severely understaffed? ???

But still, the game is addictive. I will have to read up on some strategies for it. There should be an optimal amount of houses to build in order to neither get a shortage of workers or too much unemployment.

I love that game! It was the only one of that city-builder series that I played obsessively. It's good to know that the complete game with the expansion is available on Steam. I'm considering getting myself a gaming PC again.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 17, 2020, 03:58:09 pm »
You should absolutely get it, it is a real treasure of a game!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 17, 2020, 04:45:13 pm »
You should absolutely get it, it is a real treasure of a game!

Got to get a PC capable of running it first, and I'm waiting for my new promotion to start before I do that. But it's absolutely on my list.
Self-described nerd.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 19, 2020, 04:28:46 pm »
My thinking right now is that one should get industries producing products for exporting ASAP, maybe even before getting food production running. Exporting (and possibly gold mining) seems to be where you can make significant money. Taxation doesn't seem to bring in much money, and if you raise the taxes too much, lots of inhabitants will be pissed off and leave the city, often leading to a shortage of workers, which in turn often causes massive problems.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 26, 2020, 04:34:16 pm »
AoE II: Definitive Edition. I'll give it some time.

How is it? If I have the HD Edition, is it worth upgrading?