Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 36085 times)

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #435 on: January 31, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
Witcher 2

7.5 / 10

What a wonderful game. Great characters and great story. I love how there really is no good or bad per say and everybody are assholes.

The gameplay is cumbersome and annoying, and by far the worst thing about the game. (probably the only bad thing about the game) But it is so clunky and unresponsive that makes this game suffer when it shouldn't.

I started reading this to the tune of Hakuna Matata

Witcher 2. What a wonderful game.
Witcher 2. Ain't no passing craze.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2018, 06:00:54 AM »
Witcher 2

Welcome back man.  We missed you.
Yeah Thanks. I'm on a Low SGU Forum diet.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2018, 07:16:04 AM »
Witcher 2

Put everything on ignore except Mafia Games, we need more players.  8)
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »
Witcher 2

Put everything on ignore except Mafia Games, we need more players.  8)
Kinda like forgetting the fruits and veggies and taking in all the juicy LDL Cholesterol.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #439 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
Uncharted Lost Legacy 9/10
These games hit all my sweet spots.
This one is a shorter  game using the Uncharted 4 engine and the first where you dont play as Nathan but rather as Chloe from Uncharted 2, who is a really interesting character.
She is teamed with Nadine (a villain from Uncharted 4) as they search for an artifact in India during a civil war.
The gameplay is more Uncharted. You like it or you dont. The story is really cool and the chemistry and banter between the main characters and beautiful scenery is enough in itself to make me want to replay it.
The villain is a bit shit but still fun to beat up.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #440 on: March 06, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
Braid - 9/10

Gonna go BACK INNNNN TIIMMMMMMEEEEE!

While it doesn't have nearly as much replay value as Jonathon Blow's more recent game, The Witness, this is a nearly perfect puzzle game.  The central mechanic of the game involves manipulating time and causality.  This would seem like a recipe for an incoherent mess of a storyline or glitch-filled levels, but everything is carefully crafted for consistent and satisfying gameplay.  There's four different "flavors" of level, and I think that in each set I got at least one epiphany moment where a seemingly impossible puzzle became clear.  Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the game is something that mirrored the Portal series  - you feel like you understand the rules perfectly, but can never quite get to the point where the physics are truly intuitive.

Storytelling is purposely vague for most of the game until
(click to show/hide)

Minor complaint - one solution for a puzzle could have been taught better.  And one of the "secret" challenges in the game is BS.

Offline clutzyninja

• Brand New
« Reply #441 on: March 07, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
Heat Signature. 
An insanely fun indie game.  It's a top down shoot 'em up, nothing special graphics-wise, where you can pause or slow-mo whenever you like.  You are a "Breaker."  Someone that invades starships to steal something/assassinate someone/rescue or abduct someone/hijack the ship.  You have a fantastic array of tools and upgrades from swords, guns, teleporters and hacking tools.
The game shines when you use the pause feature to take out groups of guards with orders of magnitude more precision than you could in real time.
Highlight: teleport into a room with 6 guards.  Smack one with a wrench, throw the wrench at another, shoot the third, teleport the gun of the first to your hand and shoot a fourth, the 5th shoots at you, so you use a "swapper" teleporter to switch your position with his, causing him to shoot himself, then turn to the last who you just teleported next to and slice him with your sword. 
"lowlight":  Needing to get the attention of a guard in the next room, so I throw the wrench against the wall, agsint which it promptly bounces off and hits me in the face, knocking me out cold.  The guard comes in, throws my unconscious body out an airlock, I remote control my ship to pick up my body before I suffocate, sneak back in and knock the guard out on his next patrol.

I love this game, lol

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #442 on: March 07, 2018, 10:46:05 AM »
Into the Breach - 9/10 (Early Access)

Tactical/strategy rogue-like from maker of FTL.  SO GOOD!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:05:16 PM by wastrel »

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #443 on: March 07, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
Subnautica 9/10

Probably the finest survival game that has been made so far. Apart from some technical issues, it is simply brilliant. The story is pretty great, the atmosphere and mechanics are great, the graphics are beautiful and the sound design is amazing.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: March 08, 2018, 04:21:30 AM »
Borderlands 2 - 9/10

The first multiplayer online game Ive played in 16 years. The first one Ive put more than 3 hours into.
Its awesome! The world building in this game is absolutely incredible, its a Mad Max/Fallout style world with a pretty tight storyline and some great characters and archetypes to play as. The game is co-operative, which I LOVE and I dont have to play with people I dont know.
The driving sucks but its not a huge part of the game.

The box art put me off this for ages, but its a really great game that makes me wish for a tv show or movie in this world.

Offline clutzyninja

• Brand New
« Reply #445 on: March 08, 2018, 04:58:47 AM »
Subnautica 9/10

Probably the finest survival game that has been made so far. Apart from some technical issues, it is simply brilliant. The story is pretty great, the atmosphere and mechanics are great, the graphics are beautiful and the sound design is amazing.

I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

Seconded.  Subnautica is incredible.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
Borderlands 2 - 9/10

The first multiplayer online game Ive played in 16 years. The first one Ive put more than 3 hours into.
Its awesome! The world building in this game is absolutely incredible, its a Mad Max/Fallout style world with a pretty tight storyline and some great characters and archetypes to play as. The game is co-operative, which I LOVE and I dont have to play with people I dont know.
The driving sucks but its not a huge part of the game.

The box art put me off this for ages, but its a really great game that makes me wish for a tv show or movie in this world.

I really enjoyed the borderlands games. Some of the quest get really long but a lot of fun.

I'm starting a new build in fallout 4. I never got that far first time around, just got distracted with over watch then had my laptop stolen. This time I'm doing a agility/luck build and using the VAT a lot. My wife is out of town for a week so plan to spend much of the weekend gaming.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #447 on: April 08, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
So I just realized I've been on 2d platformer bender for over a year at this point, with 500+ hours according to Steam.  While I don't consider myself a sufferer from depression, this is clearly a sign of masochism and self-loathing that few here can match.   >:D

~~~~100% completion~~~~
Braid - on par with Portal for mind bending physics
Spelunky HD - perhaps the highest replay value thanks to being a rogue-like
Cuphead - Contra-esque bullet hell, plus amazing artwork and music
1001 Spikes - best level designs that are essentially elaborate routing puzzles

~~~~Games I've beat but can't 100%~~~~~
Super Meat Boy - precision wall-jumping that will make your fingers bleed
N++ - slower-paced wall jumper than meat boy but a harder game to beat, mainly because there are 1200 levels

~~~~For insane people~~~~~
I Wanna Be The Guy - everyone has their limits, fuck this game

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:13:54 PM by Sawyer »

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #448 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
The Long Dark 9/10 - Amazing Canadian Wilderness Survival Game... meaningful difficulty levels... wolves... hypothermia... blizzards... warmth and fire-making... layer clothing for wind and waterproofness... awesome.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #449 on: June 24, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »
I already mentioned this on the Steam thread, but Stephen's Sausage Roll is perhaps the most deceptively difficult puzzle game I've played.  You roll sausages onto a grill without burning them.  That's it.  No jumping, no strafing, no skewering the sausages and then pulling them (at first), no special powers to levitate a sausage.  Many early levels have only 2 or even just 1 sausage, but they can still take 20+ minutes to solve.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353540/Stephens_Sausage_Roll/

This is yet another game I've encountered where I wonder if it's possible to "map" the puzzle mechanics to an already existing game, because the physics appear so simple and predictable.  Yet I'm stumped to come up with an analogous game, digital or physical. 

I doubt it's worth the full price, but at $6 I'd recommend it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:18:29 PM by Sawyer »