Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 39278 times)

Offline gcason

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - 8/10

The game is about 4 years old now, so this review isn't exactly breaking news but I only recently got around to playing. You are a ranger, trapped in a wraithlike state between life and death fighting the Mordor orcs. It can accurately be said that this is pretty much Assassin's Creed set in Middle Earth.
There is enough plot to keep the game moving forward, but the heart of the matter is sniping, stealth killing, and swashbuckling the nasty orcs. Several LOTR characters make appearances, especially Gollum. Combat is fun and somewhat challenging. Sniping orcs from long distances is great fun. There are orc captains that advance throughout the game. Wait for a sale and it's really low-risk.

My name is gcason and I approved this message.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2018, 03:43:29 PM »
Went back to guild wars 2 after a long time of not playing. There is a lot I like about it. I like how they do a shared bank, crafting, fast travel, local events and grouping just by being around and all the customization. You really can go down a rabbit hole. The make it to easy to get lev 80 boost and find that for the characters I've done that with regretted it. Sure they are leveled up but the map isn't and feel like a lot is missed a lot. I'm kind of a sucker for constantly being able to change skills and traits with out a penalty. There is a ton of content and not paid for the last two episodes and still have stuff to do. I also love that there is no monthly fee and pretty easy to pick up if I have 20 minutes to kill or 2 hours.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »
Dwarf Fortress, still weird and incredibly complex. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »

I tried that once. I had absolutely no clue what to do or how to proceed. I had read tutorials and walkthroughs but they didn't help. It was by far the most obscure game I've ever attempted to play. I love reading stories about it though. :)
Self-described nerd

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #454 on: August 02, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »
I wish someone would remake Spore with just a little more oomph.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #455 on: August 02, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

I tried that once. I had absolutely no clue what to do or how to proceed. I had read tutorials and walkthroughs but they didn't help. It was by far the most obscure game I've ever attempted to play. I love reading stories about it though. :)
I need to have the df wiki open in the background to play and keep switching back and forth.  Its actually much easier now*, someone created an ap that does most of the setup for you along with an app thats a sort of spreadsheet for directing your dwarfs.  Just so we are clear, I need 3 additional programs to play. 

*Than it used to be, not actually easy, just less user unfriendly.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #456 on: August 02, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »

You mean actually making the game as was advertised instead of folding several casual mini games together and calling it a simulation?

I think that topped my all time list of disappointing games, competing with the Atari 2600 version of PacMan.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #457 on: August 03, 2018, 02:59:42 AM »

You mean actually making the game as was advertised instead of folding several casual mini games together and calling it a simulation?

I think that topped my all time list of disappointing games, competing with the Atari 2600 version of PacMan.

Agreed. The game that was promised, was not the game that they delivered. I had that on my wish list and never bothered buying when I saw what they served up.  >:(

Online Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #458 on: August 23, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
Every once in a while I pick up and play rim world. That is such an awesome game. I love the things that happen in the game. It's amazing how this kind of things happen and how deep the stories can go. I had to sacrifice one of my turkeys cause it lost both legs to frostbite. A while back, one of my best colonists was very old, and kept having heart attacks.

"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #459 on: August 23, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
Every once in a while I pick up and play rim world. That is such an awesome game. I love the things that happen in the game. It's amazing how this kind of things happen and how deep the stories can go. I had to sacrifice one of my turkeys cause it lost both legs to frostbite. A while back, one of my best colonists was very old, and kept having heart attacks.

I have become deeply saddened by events in that game.  Like, really, in real life ,I became sad at a pawn dying.  It doesn't help that I often name pawns after family members, friends, and pets.

ETA: Was just reminded of one of my favorite stories was of a really old pawn with a ton of injuries who was in constant pain, and due to an old brain injury just barely on this side of consciousness.  She had a chemical interest, so turning off drug use had no effect, and she grew a Smokeleaf habit, but the loss in consciousness ended up putting her down, needing medical attention.  For the next year or so, until she was killed by an escaping prisoner, was spent in a medical bed until the effects of Smokeleaf wore off, only to get up, grab a joint, and be down for the count again, forcing another pawn to save her, and usually have to feed her two because she grabbed a joint before eating.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:43:27 PM by wastrel »

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #460 on: August 23, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
I have become deeply saddened by events in that game.  Like, really, in real life ,I became sad at a pawn dying.  It doesn't help that I often name pawns after family members, friends, and pets.
Hahahah, oh God, why would you do that to yourself? It would be like making all your guys in X-Com a perfect likeness of your spouse.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #461 on: August 23, 2018, 07:18:57 PM »
I love rim world, its one of my goto games when I want to forget about everything else for 2-22 hours  >:D Its fun every time.

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2018, 06:01:43 AM »
I'm playing Dragon Quest XI, PS4 Pro. It's one of the best turn-based JRPG's I've ever played. The only aspect of it that's poor is the music, which is a tinny MIDI collection of mostly uninspired tracks that don't always match the tone of the scene they're paired with. Otherwise it's fantastic.

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2018, 02:34:44 PM »
Europa Universalis IV was on sale for $10 so I bought it, installed it, played it for 5 minutes and decided i didn't have 2 months to figure out how to play then opened Planet Coaster instead, they had a new content pack (vintage).  One day I will sit through all the you tube videos it Will take to get the hang of EU 4. by then i'm sure 5 will be out and I will have to do it all over again.

I love Planet Coaster, by far the best theme park simulator/builder ever made.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #464 on: September 07, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
Bad part about EU4 is that there is a ton of DLC that greatly expands the game, but it is incredibly expensive to get it all.

personate-rain