Author Topic: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)  (Read 47957 times)

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
Re: Games We've Recently Played (And Wot We Fink)
« Reply #525 on: November 25, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
Metro Exodus 10/10 - My only complaint is that it could have been longer. Taking the Metro Series and adapting it to a semi-open world with multiple weapon upgrades and new systems including a day-night cycle has really taken it to the next level. The need to balance your weapons for power and stealth is fantastic, to clean them to prevent jams... The fact that monsters don't drop any loot encourages running and ads realism. Characters are well developed and motivation and story is strong. Graphics and gameplay are top-notch. Being able to solve problems in multiple different ways adds to the immersion. Can't recommend more highly.

The Outer Worlds - 9/10 - Another game that could have been longer. Bethesda adapts a new property taking much from fallout. Story and immersion is top notch. I only wish there were more noticable indications of dropping health such as red on the screen. Too often I don't notice that I'm dying until I'm dead. But once you learn to pay attention, a rich, immersive shooter/RPG that surpasses the fallout games in many ways.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #526 on: November 25, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
AoE II: Definitive Edition. I'll give it some time.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline HighPockets

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #527 on: November 25, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »

dammit! Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #528 on: November 25, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »

dammit! Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in.
Want to play this in 4K.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »
Disco Elysium - 11/10

It's basically an hilarious CYOA detective novel presented as an all-story/text isometric RPG with heavy political themes.  The only combat is negotiated by dialog options and skill checks. 

The writing's very entertaining. 

They play off all the early-game exposition as you have drunk yourself into an amnesiatic state and everyone else being very nice and understanding about it.

At one point, it lets you kill yourself in the middle of an argument to prove a point.  The, uh, protagonist is very Hunter S. Thompson meets [Mel Gibson sticking a gun in his mouth in Lethal Weapon]. 

At another point, you can shake a rich person down for money.  "You look rich.  Can I have some money?"  She goes for it but she thinks it's a bribe.  It's not.  I'm Comrade Cop.  Gonna be a Big Communism Builder.  I asked her for money because I'm a worker and she's a leach. 

They must've had a great time writing this.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #530 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:06 PM »
Disco Elysium - 11/10

I've been really tempted by this game, but I'm probably going to wait for a good sale.  Your glowing review is definitely making me rethink that plan though.

personate-rain
personate-rain