Author Topic: Android Wear  (Read 998 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Android Wear
« on: December 25, 2014, 11:46:03 PM »
So for Christmas this year, my wife splurged and got me the Asus Zenwatch which I think actually looks better than the Moto360 despite being a non-round entry into the smart watch arena.  The style I think is just worlds above the rest and the watch band is comfy as hell.  I know a couple of you have some Android Wear watches and I am curious what you think of it and how you've gone about using your watch on a day-to day basis.  So far I've used it to text a couple of times, receive some notifications instead of checking my phone, for an alarm to wake up, and used it as the navigation display instead of my phone.  I was pretty happy with all of it so far though the truncated navigation direction cause me some confusion at one point, but I'm not quite sure what else to do with it.  What do you guys do with it?

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Android Wear
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
I would add a few more questions if I may?
How is it for texting? Is it easy to type on?
Is the battery any good? I presume that by farming out certain features you would prolong the life for the phone and the watch?
Are there any apps specific to wearable tech?

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
I can answer these to an extent already.

How is it for texting? Is it easy to type on?

You don't type on it, you use Google Now which from my understanding is like a better version of Siri (don't use Apple phones so I cannot compare).  You simply tap the watch face and say "Send text to blah; How are you today?" and then it pauses for a second so you can review it and cancel if need be, then sends it.

Is the battery any good? I presume that by farming out certain features you would prolong the life for the phone and the watch?

I'm still testing mine for the first time as it wasn't fully charged yesterday, but I had it fully charged last night right around when I posted this thread, had some limited use of it between then and now, and I'm at 42% right now.  Conversely, yesterday I had charged it to about 83% at noonish, played with it a bunch, used it for navigation, and I was down to less than 15% by the time I got to work at 10ish.  It definitely seems that the notifications can drag the battery life down quick since the navigation was basically like a few dozen notifications being sent.  Beyond my experience, I read a few reviews that seem so suggest my watch is better than the leading competitor in this dept.  One review said that the reviewer got 2 days use out of it with level 3 (out of 5 brightness), moderate use, and the always on feature selected (makes the screen dim when not being viewed but it never goes black.  Unselected, it means the watch goes black after a few seconds of not looking at it), while the Moto 360 was said to have lasted less than a day with the brightness the same, and the always on feature turned off.

Are there any apps specific to wearable tech?

There are definitely apps for the phone that tie directly into the watches use of varying convenience.  For instance there is a remote camera app that mirrors the phone camera to the watch and lets you take a picture by tapping the screen or simply twisting your wrist.  There are a ton of watch face options (including an apparently unending stream of hideous ones IMO) which is an awesome feature for me as it's almost like getting a new watch over and over again.  I've also seen some apps that install directly onto the watch like a custom app launcher which makes managing the watch from the watch a lot simpler by providing easier access to brightness control, alarms, settings, watch face selection, and so on.  I've even seem some games that run on the watch, but honestly have zero interest in trying them out.

For my part, I'm more interested in learning some less common uses or tips for the watch that others have stumbled across.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
Hmmm.
Not for me for the moment but Im very interested in where it goes.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
I got a moto360 a few weeks ago and I like it quite a bit.  Being able to change the watch faces is almost worth it alone to me.  I have always been in to watches and have laid down quite a bit for them in the past so the price to me actually seems pretty reasonable.  My main uses have been for checking emails/texts as they come in to see if I need to pull my phone out of my pocket or screening phone calls.  The navigation feature is nice but it really drains the battery if using it on an extended trip with a lot of directions.  I have used it to send texts on occasion but you have to be kind of careful, if it misunderstands you you dont have much time to cancel the text so you can end up sending some pretty silly texts.  I do use it to check sports scores and weather as well.   I am currently using a STNG themed watch face which is cool cause it has the temp, time, date, and battery level. 

The biggest gripes I have?  The battery life is weak to me.  I may be spoiled on that because I have a couple of citizen watches with the ECO drive which is basically a forever battery.  A full day is about the most I can expect out of this watch.  Not the end of the world though, just have to remember to put it on the charger at the end of the day.  There are not really any clear directions on how to use the faces and how to find the ones you want.  Its somewhat cryptic.  I have it pretty well figured out now though.  Facerepo.com seems like the place to go to get faces. 

personate-rain