Author Topic: Subscriptions and accounts.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Subscriptions and accounts.
« on: December 30, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Going to Rebeccas Patreon page and seeing one of my favourite youtubers appeal for donations has gotten me thinking. Is this model sustainable?
Right now Im subscribed to about 10 youtube channels which costs me nothing and I pay for an online streaming service. If I wanted xbox live and playstation network that would be an extra thing with content exclusive to them.
It seems like more and more we are having common conversations about this show or that or whatever content it is we are discussing. But with the amount of money required to catch all this media, I dont think its feasable for me to have them all.
I subscribe to channels I like because that goes to their ad revenue, I watch and they try to sell me stuff. Fair enough. But now I feel like every content creator is essentially busking and it gets annoying to be asked for money at the end of every piece of media I consume and while sgu would be top of my list of things I would pay for (because I believe strongly in what they are doing and feel they make a small difference), what I feel is most worthy of my number 2 spot changes depending on my mood.

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Subscriptions and accounts.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »
I prefer being asked for money, rather than just have people it from me without asking, which is what happens with advertising.

Advertising isn't magical free money. It ultimately is tacked on the price of everything we buy.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:58:52 PM »
I don't think things quite work like that. In the end, you still end up paying what the market has decided you're willing to pay for the product. Advertising can influence the price by, for instance, making a product that costs a company pennies to make a premium product you purchase for the brand as much as anything else (hi, Coke and Pepsi) but as often as that what it does, when it does work, is cause more people to buy the product, thus increasing the total profits.

Nevertheless I do like the idea of Patreon and hope it continues. I don't really consume a lot of RW created product so I don't know that I'll pay for it but there are definitely other YouTube artists or podcasters that I'd support that way.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
I consume nearly everything she creates. And I felt that by subscribing to her youtube channel I was showing support. Likewise comicbookgirl19 for example.
I hope Rebecca does well from it but Im not sure how good something would have to be before I commit to regular payments considering the amount of creators online I dip in amd out of rather than watching tv.