Author Topic: Dish TV launches $20/mo. internet TV  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
Dish TV launches $20/mo. internet TV
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »

From CNET: Dish's new Sling TV Internet TV service starts at $20, features ESPN, Disney Channel, CNN, TNT, and other channels

According to the article, it will entail:
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • Disney Channel
  • ABC Family
  • Food Network
  • HGTV
  • Travel Channel
  • TNT
  • CNN
  • TBS
  • Cartoon Network
  • Adult Swim
  • The "best of Internet video" with Maker Studios (???)
With options for additional "add-on packs" for news and kids programming, +5$ each. 

(I'd pay $5 for the CSPANs)

And availability will be via, "an array of internet-connected devices, including:"
  • PC
  • Xbox One
  • Roku media streamers
  • Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
  • iOS
  • Android smartphones and tablets
This at the same time I'm reading about Google asking the FCC for pole-access?  My, oh my!
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Fanatically anti-bigot
    • View Profile
Re: Dish TV launches $20/mo. internet TV
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
Wow.  This could be big.  I know Apple's been trying to bring something like this to AppleTV, with an a la carte pricing strategy, but they've met massive resistance from content providers worries about losing their guaranteed payments from cable providers.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »
The floodgates are about to open.  A la carte subscription service will soon be in reach.

This is the best possible thing for consumers.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 12:34:10 AM »
Absolutely.  I'm reading they've targeted this quarter for release and they're planning a sports add-on, too.  If people can use this to watch the Sunday game?  Dear god...

COMCASTO DELENDE EST
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 12:47:37 AM »
The floodgates are about to open.  A la carte subscription service will soon be in reach.

I'm honestly not sure how great a la carte's really going to be. ESPN will be huge, of course, and I'm sure all the old people will subscribe to FOX, but I also feel like a lot of decent stations that ride along and get decent ratings because they're there will fall by the wayside when people say "sure, I like FX or the USA Network, but do I really like them enough to *pay* for them?". One advantage of cable as it's set up right now is that all that somewhat enforced competition for ratings (somewhat enforced in that the cable networks with their local monopolies dump a *lot* of them out on the market) has created something of a golden age for television IMO and I hate to say it but there's a very good chance that a la carte will tip the proverbial cart over.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:05:23 AM »

I'm honestly not sure how great a la carte's really going to be. ESPN will be huge, of course, and I'm sure all the old people will subscribe to FOX, but I also feel like a lot of decent stations that ride along and get decent ratings because they're there will fall by the wayside when people say "sure, I like FX or the USA Network, but do I really like them enough to *pay* for them?". One advantage of cable as it's set up right now is that all that somewhat enforced competition for ratings (somewhat enforced in that the cable networks with their local monopolies dump a *lot* of them out on the market) has created something of a golden age for television IMO and I hate to say it but there's a very good chance that a la carte will tip the proverbial cart over.

I kind of agree, but all those additional programming stations have driven the price of even basic cable through the roof.  You cant get into a decent cable/satellite package for less than $100 anymore which is ridiculous.  Something needs to happen to shake things up.  Dish has proven to be that company lately and I hope they keep on keepin on.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
Or, even better, I'd like to see some actual competition between, say, dish and cable, because I feel like the real result of open competition is something that's not necessarily a la carte at all but perhaps a lower-cost version of the all-in-one packaging. In turn, when the USA Networks and Starzz channels of the world can't count on the cable companies for their revenue stream, they will be forced to find ways to make money elsewhere.