Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 693418 times)

Online seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12540 on: January 20, 2020, 01:15:56 PM »
The Hudsucker Proxy 1994
8/10

I saw this in the theater when it came out, and maybe once again since.
It bombed when it came our, got mixed reviews.
I always liked it, its one of my favorite Coen Bros comedies.
It is a send up of a couple of Frank Capra movies, with several allusions to other movies and other scenes all through it. (Meet John Doe, It's a Wonderful Life, Metropolis and others).
Though it takes place in the late 1950s it seems more stylistically like movies of the mid to late '40s
Jennifer Jason Leigh does an awesome take on the fast-talkin' reporter ala Barbara Stanwyk, Katherine Hepburn & Rosalind Russell.

Paul Newman plays a villain character, and displays six pack abs at one point, pretty impressive for a guy who was almost 70.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #12541 on: January 20, 2020, 07:21:46 PM »
1917 - 9.5/10

This movie had it's nits to pick and didn't quite go as deep into portraying WWI fighting as much as I was hoping, but that is really all I have negative to say about it.  Everything was just masterfully conceived, executed, and acted and it deserves every accolade that it has coming to it.  The cinematography alone puts this film on another level, but the visuals, set design, lighting, and performances were all just about pitch perfect.  I can't get into too much more without spoiling the experience, so just take my word for it; see this movie.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12542 on: January 20, 2020, 09:21:29 PM »
1917 - 9.5/10

This movie had it's nits to pick and didn't quite go as deep into portraying WWI fighting as much as I was hoping, but that is really all I have negative to say about it.  Everything was just masterfully conceived, executed, and acted and it deserves every accolade that it has coming to it.  The cinematography alone puts this film on another level, but the visuals, set design, lighting, and performances were all just about pitch perfect.  I can't get into too much more without spoiling the experience, so just take my word for it; see this movie.
Utter chaos. Milk. Utter chaos. That's war.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12543 on: Today at 03:40:17 AM »
1917 - 9.5/10

Yep, brilliantly made movie. Mendes does that thing where they cut sneakily to make it all look like a single shot, and he does it well. I agree with the 9.5/10.
Mooohn!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12544 on: Today at 06:28:51 AM »
Convenient uprights and trees were used for scene cutting in the filming of "1917". Wannabee filmographers are going nuts on Youtube with analysis of them. Get ready for an shit storm of failed efforts to repeat the effect.

Still don't know if that was an Albatross or not.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

personate-rain