Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 26362 times)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
Transparent isn't very good.  The premise has excellent promise and Jeffrey Tambor in the leading role is simply outstanding, but the likeability of the rest of his family makes this show such a chore.  Imagine Arrested Development level of self-involvement minus the laughs to deflate it.

I'm only half-way through the season, so maybe the show will find its stride in the rest of the episodes but at the moment I have to say I'm disappointed.  All the reviews are raving about how awesome it is.
Thank you!  I was starting to feel crazy.  I tried watching and while I actually liked the bits with Tambor, his storyline seems to occupy like 1/15th of each episode I watched. 

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
I feel like the problem is with the writing, which is the reason I'm going to continue watching.  If they just started making these characters more compelling and interesting, instead of annoying, selfish and self-absorbed I could change my mind.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 05:46:37 PM »
i might keep watching just to have on in the background while doing work, i'll see if it grows on me.

I did however like Amazon's other show, Mozart in the Jungle.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
Transparent isn't very good.  The premise has excellent promise and Jeffrey Tambor in the leading role is simply outstanding, but the likeability of the rest of his family makes this show such a chore.  Imagine Arrested Development level of self-involvement minus the laughs to deflate it.

I'm only half-way through the season, so maybe the show will find its stride in the rest of the episodes but at the moment I have to say I'm disappointed.  All the reviews are raving about how awesome it is.

Yeah, I watched about four episodes last night and it never really jelled for me. Great premise, and I hope it gets better. But, like you, I didn't really care much for the characters. Good music, though.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 10:27:21 AM »
i might keep watching just to have on in the background while doing work, i'll see if it grows on me.

I did however like Amazon's other show, Mozart in the Jungle.

Yeah, Mozart in the Jungle redeems itself.  I neaaaaarly quit in the middle of the first episode because.... wait for it... there was too much gratuitous sex.  Thankfully it got better and Gael Garcia Bernal is a lot of fun.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 10:41:47 AM »
I still haven't bothered to watch the 2nd half of the 1st season of Agents of Shield. Yes, I know it's supposed to get better. It's got to get a lot better...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
I still haven't bothered to watch the 2nd half of the 1st season of Agents of Shield. Yes, I know it's supposed to get better. It's got to get a lot better...
This should help. It really only gets good in the last few episodes. Most of it is very skippable.
http://io9.com/which-episodes-you-must-watch-to-catch-up-on-agents-of-1572676925

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 12:33:10 AM »
Was just announced "Benched" has been cancelled.

Sad, I really like Harrington since "Better of Ted".

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
Downton Abbey. Really Americans, it is just a soap opera with great costumes and sets.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
You are all wrong about Transparent... seriously though if you don't like unlikable characters then I totally get the hate. I love unlikable characters. Even if every single character in a show is unlikable. I find it fascinating.

I also watch episodes. It's so dumb.. but I can't stop. And I do laugh out loud quite a bit.

Marco Polo belongs on this list. I didn't watch past the first episode, but from reading reviews it doesn't seem to get much better. Netflix has said they will be releasing something like 30 new shows this year, but that they will be very niche shows and none are intended for everyone.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 07:34:47 PM »
That's okay. Any show geared toward everyone isn't usually all that good.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
You are all wrong about Transparent... seriously though if you don't like unlikable characters then I totally get the hate. I love unlikable characters. Even if every single character in a show is unlikable. I find it fascinating.

I also watch episodes. It's so dumb.. but I can't stop. And I do laugh out loud quite a bit.

Marco Polo belongs on this list. I didn't watch past the first episode, but from reading reviews it doesn't seem to get much better. Netflix has said they will be releasing something like 30 new shows this year, but that they will be very niche shows and none are intended for everyone.

Gets better from 5 and on. Not enough to make the show great, but firmly in the 'meh' category. Not really a fail, but not a success either.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
current seasons simpsons is still in the watchable category, certainly better than many shows

Offline goodthink

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »
current seasons simpsons is still in the watchable category, certainly better than many shows

Seems new shows think showing lots of nudity can replace setting, story and plot. Seems to work to some degree I guess. But some shows buck the trend, like Orphan Black, Black Mirror, Utopia, the knick, and so on. Really would like to see something done with the Culture series on Sci-Fi and more done with Ascendancy.

Sci-fi is lacking real presence. I miss it.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
I honestly find sex scenes on tv shows to be lazy time fillers. Yeah, it can often be a look into the psychology of the character but normally its more a look at the psychology of the director/writer or their perception of their audience.
I find it especially noticeable in period pieces where the sex and the participants bear no resemblance to what I read of sex during these periods. It tells me Im supposed to be turned on and not anything about the story being told. The lack of female body hair is a good thing to point to in that respect.
Supernatural is not something most people would point to as a great tv show but they did two sex scenes that I can recall which both spoke volumes about the characters involved. They did it in tropey ways but the tropes were totally at odds with what we had been shown of these characters to that point.

personate-rain