Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 41693 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #540 on: March 26, 2018, 05:55:58 PM »
Agreed.  Plays well to theories he's actually in some kind of pre-afterlife sorting space, though, where you gain/lose karma depending on your conduct. 

But in general, I like reasonable pretexts.  It would've sat much better with me if he was simply picked because he's (a) gruff and highly capable and (b) sufficiently out of his mind to see him
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
Its better than the comic though!

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
Been watching Troy: Fall of a City on Netflix

Another retelling of the Iliad which became famous when a bunch of wypipo started screaming about casting black people for different roles.

It looks all right, athe acting is OK, though the polt is quite plodding. Overally, a remarkably meh series. My biggest gripe is that it's disappointingly heteronormative. Maybe it will change later on (I am around halfway into it), but it just has no man on man action whatsoever, which is particularly  jarring for the story featuring the greatest gay power couple of ancient literature.

Edit: finished it. There was one romantic scene between Achilles and Patroclus, but even that got a woman involved fairly rapidly. Come on!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:25:18 AM by Rai »

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #543 on: May 04, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
Longmire, murder mysteries set in Absoroka County Wyoming, America's Midsomer.  Its ok, I only compare it to Midsomer as they're both fiction rural counties with alarmingly high murder rates.   Longmire has a much more serious tone. 
So, I'm near the end of this series.  The last season or too suck because all the characters have become dumbass versions of what they started out as.  Except for the chief of police on the reservation.  He and the fat put upon deputy are the only sympathetic characters left. 

I only keep watching because we're almost done.  It sad how often that happens to me. 

Edit, finally finished, the last episode sucked.  It was a regular length episode with 20 minutes tacked on to the end just to let you know that if it had continued, it would have jumped the shark in every possible way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:02:56 AM by Ah.hell »

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #544 on: May 05, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
The Rain. Danish series just released on Netflix about a world it which the rain suddenly becomes deadly when you get wet (mostly - see spoiler tag for more on this strange plot point).

The trailer looked awesome and there was some hype about this show. It's kind of fun but the insane number of plot holes and incredibly stupid characters constantly doing the literal dumbest thing in any given scenario make the show incredibly hard to watch. I'm on episode 3 and I'll keep watching just because I've got nothing better to do right now and the episodes are like 35 minutes long.

Not really a spoiler but I'll put the 2 plot points that drive me the most crazy:
(click to show/hide)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #545 on: November 19, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
Narcos: Mexico just doesn't work all that well.

The characters feel flat and uninteresting. Diego Luna remains completely unimpressive (like he was in Rogue One), playing Félix Gallardo as a passive, almost submissive bore (his one scene with Wagner Moura was a big mistake, it just highlights how much the series has fallen).  Michael Peña, who is a decent actor, is also not interesting as a one-dimensional, always upset Kiki Camarena. The rest of the characters are even less developed and hardly interesting. There is hardly any space for any female characters who pop in an out without much consequence.

The series still continues its highly problematic depiction of the drug wars, with heroic American police solving the problems of the backwards, inept and corrupt Latin-Americans, but only when they can finally start breaking the rules. The role the US Government played is still downplayed.

All in all, rather disappointing, but still a moderately enjoyable watch.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #546 on: January 18, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
I'm not a comic book fan. I have no idea the difference between DC/Marvel. I liked the Xmen. I liked Batman vs Superman. I never read The Watchmen but I saw the movie a number of times and liked it. That said, I've seen 1 1/2 eps of Titans. I kind of like it so far. It remind me of The Watchmen, in a way. I like, as a premise, Robin is estranged from Batman. They didn't see eye to eye on something and he's set up shop in Detroit (Toronto seems to their filming location).

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #547 on: January 18, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
The "Last Kingdom" on Netflix.  Its fun, a little stupid, most of the conflict exists because the main  character is a poster child for a Gillete ad.*  The do a pretty good job of making everyone look pretty dirty.  They are all way to good looking and have all their teeth though.

*The one about toxic masculinity. 

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #548 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
Nicole Byers' show on netflix is dumb, but it makes me laugh
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #549 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »
Nicole Byers' show on netflix is dumb, but it makes me laugh
Is that "Nailed It"?  If so, I pretty much agree.  Its the sort of thing I'm glad exists but I'm not really motivated to watch more than on episode.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #550 on: January 21, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
oh man did i make an egregious typo
I meant this show

https://www.facebook.com/looselyexactlynicole/

this is very different but also funny
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #551 on: January 21, 2019, 05:59:01 PM »
Im at the back end of Netflix The Punisher season 2.

Its honestly not great. Frank still cant seem to make it through any fight without getting beaten half to death or getting shot at least once.
The interpersonal drama shite is cranked up from the last season and is just as tedious.
More over though, we are expected to invest in Franks development and redemption when
(click to show/hide)
Non of the characters are making decisions that make any kind of sense.
Jigsaw is supposed to be a hideously scarred monster but here has some sexy hollywood scars that he never shuts up about.
The last straw is Franks utter inability to plan ahead and think through basically any situation. He shows up to one confrontation, knowing he will be facing multiple very tough guys and just....forgets(?) to bring a gun?

Ugh. I just want to get through this.