Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 48919 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #555 on: January 28, 2019, 03:15:51 PM »
I watched Gillian Andersons new netflix thing Sex Education.
I found it infuriating.
Schools in the UK are very different to the US. But this show tries to make this an American show but with British accents for some reason.
The dialogue and word choices are American. The style of classes, the way the kids eat lunch, the fact that they dont wear uniforms... its all just trying so hard to be a US teen comedy and its grating.

It didn’t seem American at all to me.

Everyone was way to polite.

I thought it was an interesting perspective on British education and culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welp.
Having lived in Britain and grown up on British tv, I can say the only 'British' thing about it is the accents.
It isnt any sort of perspective on British education because the showrunners have admitted they based it on John Hughes.
Check out the Inbetweeners though for a much more accurate depiction of how brits often experience school.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #556 on: February 16, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
My wife has been watching criminal mind. God that is a horrible tv show. She even makes fun of it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #557 on: February 17, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »
the masked singer is totally silly fun.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #558 on: February 18, 2019, 09:42:26 AM »
My wife has been watching criminal mind. God that is a horrible tv show. She even makes fun of it.
Fucking terrible, my wife and I have watched every season though.  Every case is solved by the "hacker" violating numerous constitutional amendments and laws with her hacking magic skills.

I'm pretty sure every character has been kidnapped and tortured by a serial killer multiple times. 

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #559 on: February 18, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »
Fucking terrible, my wife and I have watched every season though.  Every case is solved by the "hacker" violating numerous constitutional amendments and laws with her hacking magic skills.

I'm pretty sure every character has been kidnapped and tortured by a serial killer multiple times.

It's like watching a car crash. You know it's coming but you can't turn away.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #560 on: February 18, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »
I was going to write that i have no idea why we need so many police procedurals and then remembered how many shows i watch about superhumans beating people up.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #561 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:21 AM »
Black Sails

It was off to a good start, and then quickly slowed down. The first maybe 4 episodes dragged, and I could see people giving up on the show at this stage. Past that point and through all of season 3, it was pretty good. Except one episode, which was slow and that was basically the point of it, but I could easily skip it on a rewatch.

Season 4 episode 1 was the first episode where I found myself questioning the writers. So yet again they were going to turn the situation around, which they'd managed to do several times before, but this time it just didn't make sense. I didn't see why the characters would react or not react as they did, and the overall story loses its grip on me.

The same happens in season 4 episode 3, but more so. Maybe what happened in the episode should've happened, had to happen because of how they were relying on history, but how they got to that point took me out of the show.

For the rest of the season I wasn't that into the show anymore, it was more about watching the story through. It was worth watching, but they also managed to have me not wanting more once it was over.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #562 on: February 22, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Black Sails gets soooo much better as it goes along. I loved it. I rank it as one of my top ten favorite TV series of all time. I was totally sick of pirates after the (seemingly) fifty Johnny Depp crap movies. But this series made 'em cool again. I would love to have seen a spin-off series on Captain Jack and Bonnie, my two favorite characters...but then I recall what their real world fates were and think maybe not.   

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #563 on: February 22, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
It spins me out because I saw Jessica Parker Kennedy play a naive teenager on the Flash.  She is NOT that character on Black Sails.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #564 on: February 22, 2019, 05:48:45 PM »
I hated Black Sails. All of the intrigue seemed forced and the whispery tough guy shit really wore on my nerves.
I promised a friend I would watch the first season and tried the second one because he insisted thats where it "gets good".
Life is just too short.
I am surprised its not more popular though as it seems of high quality, just not for me.

I did notice with some amusement though, a scene where that dude with the abs is smoking opium and you can see the make up contouring his abs is really badly done in that one shot.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #565 on: February 25, 2019, 03:17:29 AM »
I hated Black Sails. All of the intrigue seemed forced and the whispery tough guy shit really wore on my nerves.
I promised a friend I would watch the first season and tried the second one because he insisted thats where it "gets good".
Life is just too short.
I am surprised its not more popular though as it seems of high quality, just not for me.

I did notice with some amusement though, a scene where that dude with the abs is smoking opium and you can see the make up contouring his abs is really badly done in that one shot.

The first season of Black Sails is a horrible slog, but it truly gets better and by the end, becomes the best queer anarchist revolutionary pirate show that was ever made. I can't recall any other mainstream show with such a strong anti-imperialist and anarchist message.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #566 on: February 25, 2019, 08:16:49 AM »
....the best queer anarchist revolutionary pirate show that was ever made...

What are your top five queer anarchist revolutionary pirate shows?

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »
It spins me out because I saw Jessica Parker Kennedy play a naive teenager on the Flash.  She is NOT that character on Black Sails.

IMDB tells me that this person is one year younger than me.
That is too old to play a naive teenager on the flash.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2019, 10:09:23 AM »
The first season of Black Sails is a horrible slog, but it truly gets better and by the end, becomes the best queer anarchist revolutionary pirate show that was ever made. I can't recall any other mainstream show with such a strong anti-imperialist and anarchist message.

My main take from the show was that they're all terrible people, or people fighting for terrible leaders and causes. Making a case for why piracy wouldn't be that big of a leap.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #569 on: February 25, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »

My main take from the show was that they're all terrible people, or people fighting for terrible leaders and causes. Making a case for why piracy wouldn't be that big of a leap.

My main take was that capitalist imperialism destroys everything and everyone, and makes monsters out of people just because it exists. It is too strong so fighitng it is futile, but at least you can give it an honest try. Plus, lots and lots of amazing, murderous gays.