Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 48891 times)

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #585 on: April 12, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
OA Season 1 left me with mixed feelings. It was like "if season 2 rocks it, season 1 will be a genius set up but if season 2 sucks, season 1 was an equal waste." I've never seen a TV show that really required me to watch the second season for me to make my feelings about the previous season concrete. That said, I'm 2 eps into season 2. I'm enjoying it so far although it's starting to point in a kind of VR cyber crime thriller. If I recall Season 1 left us with the question of whether or not OA was just a BS artist who made everything up based on the book names on her shelf. Season 2 doesn't really much address that. We're just kinda "yep, no, she wasn't shittin' those poor high school kids".

They'll address it but you won't feel any better about the show in general.

It's worth watching but it definitely belongs on the "Not the very best" list.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #586 on: April 12, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »
enjoying season two of amazon's tick series.  I think they improved some of the tone issues in season 1.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #587 on: April 12, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
enjoying season two of amazon's tick series.  I think they improved some of the tone issues in season 1.
I agree.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #588 on: April 12, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »
Posted this in the wrong thread. I posted it in the right one
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:24:06 PM by xenu »
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #589 on: April 12, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
OA Season 1 left me with mixed feelings. It was like "if season 2 rocks it, season 1 will be a genius set up but if season 2 sucks, season 1 was an equal waste." I've never seen a TV show that really required me to watch the second season for me to make my feelings about the previous season concrete. That said, I'm 2 eps into season 2. I'm enjoying it so far although it's starting to point in a kind of VR cyber crime thriller. If I recall Season 1 left us with the question of whether or not OA was just a BS artist who made everything up based on the book names on her shelf. Season 2 doesn't really much address that. We're just kinda "yep, no, she wasn't shittin' those poor high school kids".

Agreed, worth watching season 2 if you saw season 1, but also worthy of being on the not the very best list. Not sure if I'll watch season 3 if they make one.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #590 on: April 12, 2019, 05:29:21 PM »

Agreed, worth watching season 2 if you saw season 1, but also worthy of being on the not the very best list. Not sure if I'll watch season 3 if they make one.

Yeah, can't disagree. Worth watching, but not essential viewing.

(click to show/hide)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #591 on: May 06, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »

finished the season.  It was not as ambitious as S1 but more consistently good.  It really felt like a comic book come to life, for better or worse. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #592 on: May 06, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
Every incarnation of The Tick is less silly than the one before, back to the B&W comics.  I prefer silly Tick.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #593 on: May 06, 2019, 06:05:44 PM »
Every incarnation of The Tick is less silly than the one before, back to the B&W comics.  I prefer silly Tick.

There was definitely an effort to make S2 sillier than S1.  a big chunk of plot revolves around singing baby lobsters.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #594 on: May 06, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »

There was definitely an effort to make S2 sillier than S1.  a big chunk of plot revolves around singing baby lobsters.

I appreciated the effort, but it came off as more weird than silly, if you follow me.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #595 on: May 06, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »

The cartoon was so great.  Most Ticky of the non-comic Ticks

I appreciated the effort, but it came off as more weird than silly, if you follow me.

Ya - Doom Patrol has got that covered for now.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #596 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
I like the tick, both seasons but then I've like pretty much every version of the tick. 

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #597 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »

not sure if i like Doom Patrol or not.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #598 on: May 07, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »

I found it to be trying too hard.

Which I find to be true of all Grant Morrison derived properties.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #599 on: May 07, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »

I found it to be trying too hard.

Which I find to be true of all Grant Morrison derived properties.

I was paying for DC for a bit and i liked all their shows but not enough to keep paying.  I am going to wait for the second half of young justice to be released, then I will resubscribe and binge on them (plus i will be on summer break then)

personate-rain