Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 53997 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #630 on: September 18, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
Dark season 1 was really good. By the time Dark season 2 came out I forgot all the characters and complex story lines. It's been hard getting back into it. But that's a lot like most of these shows. The crap you forget...
Oh yeah, you need a flowchart to watch it fully. But I just tried to enjoy every scene for itself and the multiple 'aha!' moments from realising who people were and how it fitted together
Oddly enjoyable, last night I uttered an audible, "Oh, its that guy!"

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »
Hrm. American Horror Story 1984. I can't tell the difference between this season and Scream Queens. It's not bad so far, two eps in.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »
Hrm. American Horror Story 1984. I can't tell the difference between this season and Scream Queens. It's not bad so far, two eps in.

Not awful, not great.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #633 on: September 30, 2019, 11:46:51 AM »

I just finished Armageddon and I really enjoyed it. I usually wait till I can binge the whole season but I was thinking of starting 1984 regardless. Does it at least have a decent 1980s feel to it? Any good music?

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #634 on: September 30, 2019, 02:32:53 PM »
I really don't get the love for Transparent.  I tried. I wanted to like it.

I know one of the producer/writers on the show, so I really wanted to like it.  Made it through the first season without actually liking it.  Gave up after that.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #635 on: October 01, 2019, 07:52:14 AM »

I just finished Armageddon and I really enjoyed it. I usually wait till I can binge the whole season but I was thinking of starting 1984 regardless. Does it at least have a decent 1980s feel to it? Any good music?

There's only 2 eps. I think Stranger Things captured the time better. That said, ep 1 does a pretty good job of capturing the 80s feel. By ep 2 they're up at the murder hack and slash stabby camp and it could be set in modern times as far that goes.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #636 on: October 29, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »
Batwoman is not great.
Ruby Rose is likeable and a cool heroine but I think it was a mistake to take the "Batman is missing" angle. I also dislike the focus on media and public reactions to her.

I do like the fight scenes and the supporting cast with the exception of her dad and I wish Luke Fox was not presented as such a nerd. The awkward black nerd is getting to be an old trope. How about a smart dude who is capable and has the potential to be trained as he is in the comics?
The most recent episode featured a high society thief and at this stage I couldnt give a fuck about someone stealing pearls and whatnot.
HOWEVER

The action scenes are really fun and the costume is awesome and I will happily sit and watch a batperson non lethally rough people up for 40min a week.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #637 on: October 29, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
Alice is great.  I do not like Kate Kane, but I am hoping that is because she was written with room to grow.  I can see where she is learning and improving, so let's hope that continues.  Her privilege blindness is really grating, especially when she deflects people who call her on her shit with lines about how "You wouldn't say that to Batman".  I have  a feeling this is just bad writing, and may never change.

If she doesn't leave her married ex alone though, I may have to get out.  Bi erasure and generally speaking the idea that "the protagonist gets the love interest, and fuck everyone else's reality", are dangerous tropes to meddle in. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:45:21 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2019, 07:52:49 PM »
Dark, the German Netflix show.

Moody, sci-fi/fantasy about time travel and the end of the world.  Someone invents a time machine that can travel between 33 years into the past or future.  So, it takes place in 1921, 1954, 1987, 2020, and 2053.  I'm pretty sure at least one character is his own grandfather and there's a book about time travel that wrote itself, which they actually address.  Its dark and moody and darned good but time travel is pretty hard to pull of in fiction and it I'm afraid it will end up like Lost.

"Dark" is one of my favourite shows. It was planned out to run for three seasons, the 3rd and final series is currently being filmed.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #639 on: November 12, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »
Oh my, Mandalorian is BAAD.

It looks like Star Wars, but it is missing the feel and the music and anything that makes Star Wars good. I think it is trying to be a bit of a Western, but that doesn't work either. It has Pedro Pascal, a very charming and charismatic actor but he is constantly hidden under a bucket and doesn't even speak all that much. Taika Waititi plays a robotic robot with an American accent.

I am baffled. This is a show with no characters, no story, no soul and no promise of anything but a cog in the Disney machine. It is a pilot that does not grab anyone apart form the foamy-mouthed Star Wars dudebros with a hard-on for Boba Fett, but it isn't even Boba Fett.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #640 on: November 12, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »

It looks like Star Wars, but it is missing the feel and the music and anything that makes Star Wars good. I think it is trying to be a bit of a Western, but that doesn't work either. It has Pedro Pascal, a very charming and charismatic actor but he is constantly hidden under a bucket and doesn't even speak all that much. Taika Waititi plays a robotic robot with an American accent.

I am baffled. This is a show with no characters, no story, no soul and no promise of anything but a cog in the Disney machine. It is a pilot that does not grab anyone apart form the foamy-mouthed Star Wars dudebros with a hard-on for Boba Fett, but it isn't even Boba Fett.
For some reason I thought it might be.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #641 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:34 PM »

For some reason I thought it might be.

I strongly disagree, and while it has some for sure flaws, it is good with the potential to be really good.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #642 on: November 12, 2019, 08:38:50 PM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #643 on: November 12, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
I'll see your Space 1999 and raise you Blake's 7.

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #644 on: November 12, 2019, 10:23:39 PM »
I'll see your Space 1999 and raise you Blake's 7.

Teenage me loved both those shows.

personate-rain