Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 55435 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #660 on: December 02, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
Welp Titans shit the bed.  Right after they got it cleaned up after that last watery sewage befoulment.
I liked seeing Nightwing finally.
The episode didnt seem any worse than the rest of the season which has consistently been pretty shit, badly written and with an inflated sense of itself?
What in particular did you hate?

For starters
(click to show/hide)

To sum up, they are hitting plot points not character arcs, and it really makes the show suuuuuuuck.

But you didn't think it got better and it showed some promise in the middle when they were talking about Jerico, but Dick hadn't put on his full body hair-suit?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #661 on: December 02, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Welp Titans shit the bed.  Right after they got it cleaned up after that last watery sewage befoulment.
I liked seeing Nightwing finally.
The episode didnt seem any worse than the rest of the season which has consistently been pretty shit, badly written and with an inflated sense of itself?
What in particular did you hate?

For starters
(click to show/hide)

To sum up, they are hitting plot points not character arcs, and it really makes the show suuuuuuuck.

But you didn't think it got better and it showed some promise in the middle when they were talking about Jerico, but Dick hadn't put on his full body hair-suit?

Don't forget THE most important thing:

(click to show/hide)
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
« Reply #662 on: December 02, 2019, 05:22:22 PM »
I dropped Titans after an episode and a half.  Not my bag.

The number of shows where I watched only the first episode, or the first two episodes, is staggering. It's why I usually don't bother any more and get most of my content from YouTube.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #663 on: December 02, 2019, 05:29:51 PM »
I don't have time to watch shows I *like*.  I'll be damned if I'll spend time on a show I'm luke warm, at best, about.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #664 on: December 11, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
Treadstone is a very decent spy action show set in the Bourne universe. Its about a branch of the project that are manchurian candidates and are being reactivated but also flashes back to the original Treadstone dude in the 70s in Berlin.
The cast is a bit too variable in quality to make the show really great and it suffers from the logic issues that most of these things do- The challenge of modern intelligence agencies is not in finding people who are super great at kung fu. But thats all it seems to take in this universe.
Its especially frustrating when these amnesiacs show up to an assassination and the entire thing has been set up for them right down to murder weapons and way in. I want to see a show about these invisible support staff who do all the int gathering and smuggle weapons across borders and do the entire job for them except pull the trigger.
But mostly its a fun conspiracy thing that I would certainly recommend.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #665 on: December 23, 2019, 04:17:53 AM »
The Withcher series is, I guess, all right. Nothing horrible (apart from dragon design) but nothing particularly great either. The timelines are confusing as hell, though.

It is, however, seemingly free of Netflix bloat, which is a good thing.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #666 on: December 23, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »
The Withcher series is, I guess, all right. Nothing horrible (apart from dragon design) but nothing particularly great either. The timelines are confusing as hell, though.

The first few episodes were a bit disappointing, but the season gets a little better as it progresses. And yes, the timelines were very confusing.
Mooohn!

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #667 on: December 23, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »

The first few episodes were a bit disappointing, but the season gets a little better as it progresses. And yes, the timelines were very confusing.

One thing I kinda miss is the monster detective aspect and its proportion to courtly intrigue.

I would totally watch a Witcher series with some semblance of an overarching plot, but mostly about monsters of the week in different backwater villages. Just solid side quest content, really.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #668 on: December 23, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

One thing I kinda miss is the monster detective aspect and its proportion to courtly intrigue.

I would totally watch a Witcher series with some semblance of an overarching plot, but mostly about monsters of the week in different backwater villages. Just solid side quest content, really.

Yeah, they could've done more with that angle.
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #669 on: December 26, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
I found the Witcher to be decent and it gets better as it goes, but its just getting good when it ends.
The timelines should have been flagged more clearly as it was not fun figuring out that there WERE multiple timelines and then going back to try and piece things together.

As with many netflix originals, it was really in need of a final edit or script doctor. I didnt enjoy any of the stories aside from Geralts but he is very under developed as a character.
As fantasy fluff goes, its all I really needed but it could have been a level up if it hadnt tripped over itself trying to be too clever.

Edit- The bard was VERY annoying btw.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #670 on: December 26, 2019, 02:20:46 PM »
Yeah, the timeline jumps were a bit awkward/rough. 

Aside from that, though, it really scratched an 'high-fantasy action/adventure' itch for me. 
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #671 on: December 26, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
Yep! Its an itch that has been hard to scratch until recently and I do prefer it to the Game of Thrones tv show as a piece of high fantasy.

Just watched Dont Fuck with Cats on netflix.

Very interesting 3 episode docu series that got me hooked. Was fun how the makers gave you hints and left a beat for you to figure out the next step as if you were along for the ride in this fb group.
It left one or two dangling threads that will bother me and I wished throughout that they had not named him. But its a fun ride.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #672 on: December 26, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
Yeah, the timeline jumps were a bit awkward/rough. 

Aside from that, though, it really scratched an 'high-fantasy action/adventure' itch for me.

Yeah, me too, especially now that GOT is over. It also somehow reminded me of Legend of the Seeker.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #673 on: December 26, 2019, 09:26:44 PM »
Yeah, me too, especially now that GOT is over. It also somehow reminded me of Legend of the Seeker.

Haha, I had the same thought.

Things Witcher needs for season 2:
  • Move past the 'multiple timeline' hullabaloo
  • 9 foot tall New Zealanders cast as wizards
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #674 on: December 26, 2019, 11:12:00 PM »
.....It also somehow reminded me of Legend of the Seeker.

Haha, I had the same thought.

Things Witcher needs for season 2:
  • Move past the 'multiple timeline' hullabaloo
  • 9 foot tall New Zealanders cast as wizards

Are you referring to Bruce Spence? He is more Aussie than Kiwi. Most of his life and career has been here.

personate-rain