Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56115 times)

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2015, 03:55:40 pm »
I've probably already brought it up here, but the epitome of poor writing is Ray Donovan. I enjoy the show. It's kind of fun. But I've never seen a show with so many blatant plot holes and important pieces glossed over or ignored. The acting is also really bad with a lot of the main characters (particularly Ray, his wife, and his father). Some of the supporting roles are great actors (the black brother, the brother with parkinson's) but overall it's one dud after another.

I'd love the show if I could watch it every week in the context of an ironic show watching party where we shout at the plot holes as they occur.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2015, 05:44:36 pm »
How to Get Away With Murder

First six episodes left me unable to wait to see what happens next.  Then the big reveal and I'm all, "WTF, that makes no sense, why would they do that"  They're law students, don't they know anything about the law?  And she's a supposedly great defense attorney?  And why the f#$# does a class called 'Defense 100' exist and isn't hiring a bunch of students in your class as interns a conflict of......."

It never made sense but half way through the season its not entertaining enough to make me ignore all of that shit.  Shonda Rhymes is really an expert at going off the rails.

Good thing schools starting, I'll have to be more selective in my TV viewing.

You can really tell a writting style with shows like that (and books, comics). Some people plan out the plot ahead of time. Some people write themselves into a corner and have to go with something ill fitting or cliche to get out... I think thats what happened with "How to get away with murder"

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2015, 12:45:12 pm »
Scream Queens. Some interesting writing, from the "oh, dear, I can't believe they said that." Reminds me of Glee in the first season. Same kind of writing. But, alas, Glee realized people were tuning in for the show tunes and there was major cash to be made on iTunes. So they jettisoned the clever writing and gave us more show tunes. I gave up.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2015, 06:28:24 am »
Quantico- I saw the pilot this week, its basically high school drama in the FBI academy but one of them is a terrorist. They are all super hot, super emotional and written the way a dumb person thinks smart people might be. The actual proceedural parts are incredibly dumbed down and it tries too hard to make the FBI look like a Jason Bourne factory.

Graceland- I was really loving this show even though its always been heavy on the cheese and liberal with realism but season 3 is just dumb. The amount of crimes they are racking up is crazy (supplying alcohol to an underage girl, drugging said girl, accessories to murder and kidnapping?) And I can deal with all that but now one of them had a near death experience and theres all this bullshit about visions and buddhism.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2015, 10:29:31 am »
I've completely given up on Sleepy Hollow.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2015, 10:40:22 am »
I've completely given up on Sleepy Hollow.
Im close but I misght be an episode or two behind you.
Ive gotten so sick of Ichabods inexplicable sex appeal, the shows selective memory for whats already been established (does Crane respect Jackson or not?) and the inexplicable use of what appears to be a pump action crossbow.
Things were looking up once they got rid of the annoying Indiana Jones clone.
Also, I can buy headless horsemen and ghosts but Mills  applied, was accepted to and finished training for the FBI and got posted to her home town all in 9months?
Does Sleepy Hollow even need a field office?
Nope.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2015, 12:54:21 pm »
The Bastard Executioner.

did you enjoy Rome, Vikings, and Game of Thrones?
then perhaps you'd like a boring pastiche while you wait for more period violence. even so, you'll struggle to like this.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2015, 03:21:13 pm »
The Grinder may or may not wind up on my "Best" list. It's a single-camera sitcom that is a pretty extreme parody of lawyer shows, so extreme that it's not always obvious that it's parodizing them or just deciding to wrap the show up using the same tropes that the lawyer shows do. That being said, there were some laugh out loud moments in the first episode (one of which, for me anyway, involved Rob Lowe deciding to bring over his Park and Rec character's liberal overuse of the word "literally") and the cast is kind of awesome (you've got Lowe, Fred Savage, and Sweet Dee from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia). If the writing holds up (and I'm unfamiliar with the lead writer), it could be pretty good.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2015, 03:19:39 pm »
Tried two new shows-
The Assets: Mini series about Aldrich Ames. The acting was off. All the russian characters seemed like cartoon characters and the set up wasnt that exciting.

Strikeback season 3:
Two people close to me love this. I told them I found the first series unwatchable (Chris Ryan sucks) but they told me season 3 is where it gets good. I made it 10minutes in. The dialogue was just so embarrassing. Why cant the brits do spy drama properly?! They dont even do James Bond anymore. This show is like Ultimate Force with production values as far as I can see.

I started the new Homeland season. This show has just decided to go all out and make everything the CIA does, the right thing to do. Anyone who disagrees just doesnt "get it"
It was annoyingly politically biased but pretty entertaining.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2015, 03:22:47 pm »
Yeah, I quit on Homeland too. It's gotten boring and static and NOTHING IS HAPPENING.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:52 am »
I still haven't finished The Killing season 1, it got so boring I forgot where I even got up to. worse than the second season of True Detective.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2015, 11:25:59 am »
I still haven't finished The Killing season 1, it got so boring I forgot where I even got up to. worse than the second season of True Detective.
I skipped every single scene that wasnt the detectives figuring out clues and it became far better. Each episode was also only about 20min then.
But I was still pretty underwhelmed by the end and if you have other options I would take them.

The same friend who recommended it, brow beat me into watching Black Sails which is a prequel to Treasure Island with zero likeable characters and no real point. Most of the actors are rubbish and most of the "look how badass I am" women are annoying. Theres also a weird guy who never wears a shirt and in some scenes you can actually see the make up lines that are his drawn on abs. Im not even joking.
I finished the first season and told him it was awful, but I was annoyed into watching the second season where it "gets good"
Spoilers- It doesnt get good. Its still pointless and drawn out and trying to be edgy by having smelly looking men murder each other for silly reasons to show how ruthless they are.
Its actually less watchable than Da Vincis Demons. Though its existence is not such an affront to my sensibilities.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2015, 10:07:33 am »
The same friend who recommended it, brow beat me into watching Black Sails which is a prequel to Treasure Island with zero likeable characters and no real point.

lol. I didn't mind that show, but, as you say, there isn't exactly any substance, there (which puts it in the ranks of The Bastard Executioner, except it was actually fun to watch). I enjoyed the ride, and would've been happy to watch a season 3 if there was one at the time. I dunno how I'll feel about season 3 without the benefit of marathoning into it.

Spoilers- It doesnt get good. Its still pointless and drawn out and trying to be edgy by having smelly looking men murder each other for silly reasons to show how ruthless they are.

Sons of Anarchy tried to do the same thing, but IMO was so much worse.

Theres also a weird guy who never wears a shirt and in some scenes you can actually see the make up lines that are his drawn on abs. Im not even joking.

lol, never noticed.

hot chick was hot, however. I thought they chose her because of her resemblance ( in my mind at least) to Keira Knightly or whoever it was in those Pirates movies
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:09:57 am by GodSlayer »

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:31 pm »

US or Danish version?

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2015, 12:08:23 am »

US or Danish version?

US.