Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56113 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2016, 03:12:28 am »
I tried "Transparent" on Amazon and as much as I want to like it for the story, I can't stand the cast. Moira is wonderful, but the children just UGH! Like just one...give me one character who's core character motivation is something other than "LOOK AT ME BE DAMAGED AND STUFF"

"Bosch" also Amazon was good well acted, but still written by a paperback author and still hits all the tropes you'd expect it to, but in a way that I didn't hate. Think of it as Law & Order but done really well.

Might start back up on "Man in a High Castle" soon. Full disclosure, never read it, but I like the author and premise. Didn't totally get sucked in to the first few episodes, so I might blow an Audible credit and see if the book makes the show better.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2016, 05:20:34 pm »
The 100 is not good.
It's terribly written, cliché ridden, badly acted, Dawson-casted, fan-servicing, badly written... And did I mention badly written?

It does get better as time goes on. Many stupidities remain and there is always someone wearing the annoying git hat, but it does get much better than how it began.
Maybe its the cynical old man in me but, man, CW shows are all full of beautiful young people.  It could be test written and acted show on tv but the pretty is just do much for my suspension of disbelief.  Which after about 6 eps, that show still poorly written with mediocre acting but still too pretty to look at.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2016, 05:23:55 pm »
I can deal with pretty for the most part, but the acting and writing better be up to scratch or i will be taken out of it by knowing why you cast that person.
Maybe its because less gets asked of women as actors but with CW in particular, the male actors are mostly atrocious!

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2016, 05:28:08 pm »
The 100 is not good.
It's terribly written, cliché ridden, badly acted, Dawson-casted, fan-servicing, badly written... And did I mention badly written?

It does get better as time goes on. Many stupidities remain and there is always someone wearing the annoying git hat, but it does get much better than how it began.
Maybe its the cynical old man in me but, man, CW shows are all full of beautiful young people.  It could be test written and acted show on tv but the pretty is just do much for my suspension of disbelief.  Which after about 6 eps, that show still poorly written with mediocre acting but still too pretty to look at.

It doesn't really start getting significantly better until the second season (especially after the death of one particularly horrible character), though there are promising signs around the last third of the first.

That being said, I am rather annoyed with season 3 at this stage.

As for young and beautiful people, practically every TV show is like that these days. And in the case of the 100, the vast majority of annoying pretty teenagers will be replaced by annoying not that beautiful adults. 
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline moj

• beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2016, 09:36:03 am »
Vinyl, I want to like it and it to be good. But it really just sort of makes me glad I don’t remember the 70’s. It seems really horrible. The ways they make the lead exemplify the rock in roll attitude just to me make him into a self-absorbed rapey d-bag. The sexism, racism the mostly horrible music, it feels authentic, but isn’t really likeable.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »
Lip Sync Battle

Just some silly fun.  It's a reality TV show that is refreshingly non-serious.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:12 am »
Lip Sync Battle

Just some silly fun.  It's a reality TV show that is refreshingly non-serious.

My wife loves this show.

I find it mildly amusing.....though the crowd going bananas for some hunky actor dressing in drag is getting old.  Like, we've seen someone this 10 epsiodes in a row, why are people going so bonkers like it's new, shocking, or even a big deal?

It is nice to see a show that's not trying to be mean to anyone.

Well.  There it is.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2016, 02:06:57 pm »
Vinyl, I want to like it and it to be good. But it really just sort of makes me glad I don’t remember the 70’s. It seems really horrible. The ways they make the lead exemplify the rock in roll attitude just to me make him into a self-absorbed rapey d-bag. The sexism, racism the mostly horrible music, it feels authentic, but isn’t really likeable.

Is Vinyl a "safe for white people to enjoy" version of Empire?
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline moj

• beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 29, 2016, 03:12:09 pm »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3186130/

A New York music executive in the 1970s hustles to make a career out of the city's diverse music scene. Creators: Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, Terence Winter

I've never seen Empire so can't really be sure.

Offline moj

• beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:30 pm »
Love  7.5/10

It’s a rom/com show for people who may not normally like those. It stars Gillian Jacobs from community and in many parts seems like it might be improvised. It’s fun and has a few moments that are really funny is not really consistently LOL funny. Still it’s enjoyable and has characters that draw you in.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2016, 07:49:29 pm »
Love  7.5/10

It’s a rom/com show for people who may not normally like those. It stars Gillian Jacobs from community and in many parts seems like it might be improvised. It’s fun and has a few moments that are really funny is not really consistently LOL funny. Still it’s enjoyable and has characters that draw you in.
I didn't like it, and I got until episode 7 which is rare because usually I either like it enough to watch it all out dislike it enough to quit after two episodes, but this show is different enough that it took me a while to decide.
It had potential, but if tries (and succeeds) to be too real, in an almost endearing way, except that real can get boring, cringy, and sometimes not what you're looking for on TV.

ETA: I didn't like that it was too reminiscent of me, or at least who I was about five years ago, and I didn't appreciate the reminder. And it's not just that - I like my fictional romances fantastical and written in the stars, or at least with an interesting twist. "You're the worst" is a good example because it's really interesting in the context of the characters and who they are. In LOVE it's just two almost normal people, and I found nothing appealing about them as characters or their relationship.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:53:52 pm by Ambious »

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2016, 02:39:41 am »

Is Vinyl a "safe for white people to enjoy" version of Empire?
That's a safe assessment.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2016, 08:57:29 am »
So.....

Gotham.

I've resisted.

Mainly because I watched a LOT of "Smallville" because my wife was a fan.

That show started strong, and by the end degenerated into a non stop train of increasingly ridiculous reasons that we haven't seen Superman appear yet.  They turned Clark into an indecisive coward, because that was the only way it made sense that he didn't fully embrace his destiny.

Is that what we're going to get once Gotham rolls into season 4 or 5?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:21:57 am by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2016, 09:13:37 am »
I had to quit it after the end of the last season. I forget exactly where but the joker tease they did was too much as I really got into the character and then they got rid of him.
Thats fine but they then gave a teaser that reduces the joker of that universe to being a copycat regardless of who he ends up being. Thats just shit.
They take the characters so far that they are irreconcilable with where you know they are supposed to end up.

Id really love a series focused on teen bruce doing his training though, deceiving people about his identity, solving crimes as a beginner, each season could focus on a different skill he has to master.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • View Profile
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2016, 10:39:21 am »

Id really love a series focused on teen bruce doing his training though, deceiving people about his identity, solving crimes as a beginner, each season could focus on a different skill he has to master.

I instantly pictured a show set-up like Dexter, but with Bruce Wayne learning to be a sneaky fighter instead of hiding all the corpses he made.