Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56114 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2016, 03:38:30 am »
I feel "Black Sails" belongs here. Starz. Wannabe Game of Thrones on pirate ships.
Characters stop a lot to logic through their political maneuverings, or tersely exposite their motivations... they tell, whereas GoT shows. Not only is it artificial, but it rarely makes sense. The only character I "get" is Silver, but he's just winging it, hoping to survive another day. That's relatable. I finished S1, ended on a cliffhanger, but I don't feel the need to continue.

I liked the first two seasons when I marathoned it. this season is pretty dull for me, though.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2016, 04:28:43 am »
I feel "Black Sails" belongs here. Starz. Wannabe Game of Thrones on pirate ships.
Characters stop a lot to logic through their political maneuverings, or tersely exposite their motivations... they tell, whereas GoT shows. Not only is it artificial, but it rarely makes sense. The only character I "get" is Silver, but he's just winging it, hoping to survive another day. That's relatable. I finished S1, ended on a cliffhanger, but I don't feel the need to continue.

Anyone else?
ETA: Ah, I see HarryBlack hit the show already. A lot harder than I did...
I think your summary is more balanced and accurate than mine. I may have been in a bad mood that day?

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2016, 07:52:28 am »
Unfortunately my favorite thing about "Black Sails" is the opening credit sequence.  Everything else is lame as Henning and Harry describe.
Well.  There it is.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2016, 02:04:13 pm »
I'll go a hair further and say just the theme song.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2016, 09:30:19 pm »
If the magicians considered on it's trajectory, it will make it off this list.  Still has a bit of a ways to go though.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • View Profile
    • Anomalina
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2016, 12:43:16 am »
Unfortunately my favorite thing about "Black Sails" is the opening credit sequence.  Everything else is lame as Henning and Harry describe.

Definitely liked the theme song though, yeah.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • View Profile
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2016, 12:14:31 pm »
I'm really giving Primeval a chance, but this show is so full of cliche's and it's just so, so stupid. 

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2016, 03:14:07 pm »
I gave up on Primeval at episode 6.  That show is beyond stupid.  Tiny pterasaurs swarmed like bees, picked up a golfer, flew into solid objects just to be terrifying, and were defeated with a small blow torch.  I don't care how cute that girl is, this show is moronic.  Fuck you.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2016, 03:21:24 pm »
I gave up on Primeval at episode 6.  That show is beyond stupid.  Tiny pterasaurs swarmed like bees, picked up a golfer, flew into solid objects just to be terrifying, and were defeated with a small blow torch.  I don't care how cute that girl is, this show is moronic.  Fuck you.

What was that stupid show were people went back into the dinosaur era to escape some future disaster. It only lasted a season. People had all these powerful guns but they seemed totally ineffective against nearly any dinosaur that ever attacked them. Making you wonder why they even tried.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2016, 03:23:59 pm »

What was that stupid show were people went back into the dinosaur era to escape some future disaster. It only lasted a season. People had all these powerful guns but they seemed totally ineffective against nearly any dinosaur that ever attacked them. Making you wonder why they even tried.

I remember that - I remember thinking "16 year-old Mike would be all over this, but 30-whatever year-old Mike can't be stuffed to watch even the pilot".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2016, 06:04:09 pm »

Anyone else?
ETA: Ah, I see HarryBlack hit the show already. A lot harder than I did...

Extremely accurate review. A+, would read again.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:14 am »

I think that was Terra Nova.  This is one where mysterious portals are appearing all over the UK and creatures from the past are arriving in them and some team of biology nerds is trying to send them back through the portals.  When I stopped, the teaser for the next episode was for a creature from the future. 

The characters are largely flat and the premise could've held promise, but the whole package was an unfocused mess.  Heavily cliched writing, frequently awkward music, stupidly unrealistic animal behavior, generally poor-quality CG, and totally invented menaces, which, in only about 5 episodes, featured the bee-swarm-like Pterasaurs, giant spiders that apparently "chew their food," clearly invented lifeforms--including a giant parasite that made a guy crazy, someone living by jumping through the time portal things, and countless scenes totally lacking in tension or excitement.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2016, 10:33:06 am »
This is one where mysterious portals are appearing all over the UK and creatures from the past are arriving in them and some team of biology nerds is trying to send them back through the portals.
Heavily cliched writing, frequently awkward music, stupidly unrealistic animal behavior, generally poor-quality CG-

sounds like the only glimpse of an episode of Warehouse 13 I ever had the displeasure of seeing,

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »
I enjoyed Warehouse 13, mostly because I don't think it was ever meant to be taken seriously.  Not great but I was entertained.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:00 am »

A while back I made a thread about that totally impervious dinosaur meme.  I am sure that taking down a dinosaur with guns would be difficult but probably not much harder than an elephant or a rino.   I am sure a group of 3 or 4 experienced hunters or soldiers could do it.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.