Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56121 times)

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:42 am »
I gave up on Primeval at episode 6.  That show is beyond stupid.  Tiny pterasaurs swarmed like bees, picked up a golfer, flew into solid objects just to be terrifying, and were defeated with a small blow torch.  I don't care how cute that girl is, this show is moronic.  Fuck you.

What was that stupid show were people went back into the dinosaur era to escape some future disaster. It only lasted a season. People had all these powerful guns but they seemed totally ineffective against nearly any dinosaur that ever attacked them. Making you wonder why they even tried.

A while back I made a thread about that totally impervious dinosaur meme.  I am sure that taking down a dinosaur with guns would be difficult but probably not much harder than an elephant or a rino.   I am sure a group of 3 or 4 experienced hunters or soldiers could do it.

Yeah, the difference between a hunter and a civilian in that case would be that a civilian would overestimate the damage a headshot would cause (lots of skull, tiny bit of brain) relative to a human target.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2016, 01:37:00 am »
I enjoyed Warehouse 13, mostly because I don't think it was ever meant to be taken seriously.  Not great but I was entertained.

it was just 10 years too late for me. whereas I did love Sliders despite its sub-par creativity and graphics, just the right age for that stuff.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2016, 12:22:11 am »
I just finished season 1 of the Netflix Shadowhunters program.

It got better enough to keep me involved until the end. I still gave it 2/5 stars. The acting and directing and writing really do improve dramatically. The twists and turns in the plot are stil 1970s Soap Opera quality moves. I don't think I'd watch a second seasonal if there is one.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:48 am »
I enjoyed Warehouse 13, mostly because I don't think it was ever meant to be taken seriously.  Not great but I was entertained.

it was just 10 years too late for me. whereas I did love Sliders despite its sub-par creativity and graphics, just the right age for that stuff.
I think with Sliders too, there was very little to compare it to so it was much more enjoyable.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • View Profile
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2016, 09:28:48 am »

I think with Sliders too, there was very little to compare it to so it was much more enjoyable.

I couldn't even get into Sliders when it was new.  I've considered giving it a chance, but just remember thinking how much I thought it sucked.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals I auditioned for this job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2016, 10:16:44 am »

I couldn't even get into Sliders when it was new.  I've considered giving it a chance, but just remember thinking how much I thought it sucked.

Originally I found it fun.  Somewhere along the line they slid into a world where everyone's head was up their ass, and they began to think that Story Arcs and Dark Stories were more important than being fun.  And then I think it began to suck.

Offline moj

• beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 11, 2016, 10:22:45 am »
We watched the first two seasons of black sails and didn’t think it was all that bad.  Entertaining enough to have on while we play games on tablets but not something to hold undivided attention. Yes there are some major problems with the show but just like the setting and the world it creates, even if it is a flawed one.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59:44 am »

It got better enough to keep me involved until the end. I still gave it 2/5 stars. The acting and directing and writing really do improve dramatically. The twists and turns in the plot are stil 1970s Soap Opera quality moves. I don't think I'd watch a second seasonal if there is one.

I got about 6-7 episodes in.  I thought I liked it fine, but I've noticed that it's been over a month now and I haven't cared enough to watch any more.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »
We watched the first two seasons of black sails and didn’t think it was all that bad.

neither did I. I was happy to see a third season. but holy fuck, fuck that season, a giant yawn before a finale.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 11, 2016, 02:29:06 pm »

I got about 6-7 episodes in.  I thought I liked it fine, but I've noticed that it's been over a month now and I haven't cared enough to watch any more.

that's where I'm at with The Bastard Executioner, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Galavant, The Man in the High Castle, and probably others I've forgotten.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2016, 06:22:56 pm »
Im watching the Street Fighter anime series from 1995.
17 year old Ryu and Ken tour the world looking for fights and possibly boning each other.
The campiness is delicious!

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:15 am »

Guy travels back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination.

For me, this show started with stunningly terrific promise.  The first three or four episodes were appointment television for me.

Then the show slowly petered out like a balloon with the air being gradually let out.

Good production value, good cast, (James Franco was a blank slate everyman which I don't mean at all as an insult.  It's exactly what he should have been.) and a story that should have been 5-6 episodes instead of 8.

The final episode reminded me of the Simpson's episode "The Itchy, Scratchy and Poochie show".  A title card reading: Poochie died on the way to his home planet should have ended the series.

Well.  There it is.

Offline EvilNick

• Frequent Poster
  • Cosmic Horror Show
    • View Profile
    • From Nothing Game Studios Official
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2016, 08:54:07 am »

The final episode reminded me of the Simpson's episode "The Itchy, Scratchy and Poochie show".  A title card reading: Poochie died on the way to his home planet should have ended the series.

Evidently, that is literally how Quantum Leap ended.

On the 11.22.63 show, I just really can't bring myself to care anymore about the Kennedy assassination, but Stephen King is apparently obsessed with it.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:36 am »

On the 11.22.63 show, I just really can't bring myself to care anymore about the Kennedy assassination, but Stephen King is apparently obsessed with it.

I just like time travel stories, and knew that book was one of King's best reviewed books in decades.  That's why I watched it.  I really don't care about JFK all that much either.

To the stories credit, in King's version, Oswald acted alone.
Well.  There it is.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2016, 10:20:41 am »

I just like time travel stories, and knew that book was one of King's best reviewed books in decades.  That's why I watched it.  I really don't care about JFK all that much either.

To the stories credit, in King's version, Oswald acted alone.

The book was fun. If I remember correctly in the introduction to the book he discusses the evidence for the different theories regarding the assassination and comes to the conclusion that the most standard "Oswald acted alone" is the only one that hold any weight. He doesn't mince words on the fact that the conspiracy theories are based on nonsense, while trying his best not to alienate them as possible readers. He probably still did, but he gave it a valiant effort. I could be wrong about some of these details, I read the book back when it was first published.