Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56118 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #315 on: August 25, 2016, 12:25:36 pm »
Watched all three of the new Amazon comedy pilots.

I Love Dick   6/10   Well acted and directed but ugh so pretentious.  It's a Jill Soloway show, so if you liked Transparent worth checking out, but not for me.

The Tick      7/10  Not what I expected at all.  Very different from previous incarnations of the Tick.  The world is a lot more real and the main character seems to be Arthur this time around.  The Tick himself was as lovable as ever but barely in the episode.  Willing to give a few more episodes a chance.

Jean Claude Van Johnson.  9/10  I laughed my ass off but I am worried that there's not enough material here for an entire series.  The pilot was great though if you view it as a one off. 
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 25, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
The Tick      7/10  Not what I expected at all.  Very different from previous incarnations of the Tick.  The world is a lot more real and the main character seems to be Arthur this time around.  The Tick himself was as lovable as ever but barely in the episode.  Willing to give a few more episodes a chance.

It is interesting.  There's certainly a "there" there.  I didn't like it as much as I love the old live-action show, but it was interesting.

I'm not sure about "Arthur the victim" versus the more usual "Arthur the dreamer".  We'll see.

Pete S. is performing just fine as the Tick, but Patrick Warburton WAS the Tick personified.
Well.  There it is.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 25, 2016, 12:48:29 pm »
I'll give any version of the Tick a chance but Warburton was born to play the tick. 

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2016, 09:42:00 am »
The Last Ship

A not-horrible/not-great sci fi genre story with fairly high production value.

The crew of the fictional US Navy destroyer USS Nathan James is out at sea and at "emissions control" condition for four months conducting a secret mission.  Mission ends.  Turns out while they were gone, 80% of the planet is wiped out by a viral pandemic.   Also turns out, their secret mission/cargo was the potential cure for the virus.  Can they get it to enough people to save humanity?

Michael Bay acts as exec producer.   It's hammy and overwrought, but looks great. Much of the first season was shot aboard the USS Dewey, USS Halsey and at Naval Station San Diego while I was stationed there. I have distinct memories of a sizeable chunk of Navy Station San Diego being shut down for filming, fudging up parking for many Sailors.

I watched a few episodes of season one this weekend.  I probably wont finish.  The type of person who enjoys average broadcast network fare would probably like this just fine.  Action, but not super violent, horror but not actually scary, tension, but no real dread.  I cant detect any new ground in the show that hasn't been covered by better examples of the post-apocalypse genre. 

As a Cruiser/Destroyer guy it IS fun to see action taking place on a destroyer actually shot aboard a destroyer with all the confinement and clutter that entails.  (Most modern Navy flicks feature roomy cavernous ships that anyone who spent real time on board actual combat vessels find amusing.)

Attempts are also made to feature actual combat procedures and terminology.  It's not always super accurate, but there's enough there to recognize that the production is consulting someone who knows what they're talking about.

A nice attempt, but not great.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:12:58 pm by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2016, 12:28:58 pm »
I liked season 1 of The Last Ship. I recommend finishing it.
Season 2 was kind of meh.
Season 3 lost me on episode 1.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 30, 2016, 02:35:45 am »
I liked season 1 of The Last Ship. I recommend finishing it.
Season 2 was kind of meh.
Season 3 lost me on episode 1.

That is about my view on it. Season 1 was good. 2 OK, but nothing special. Season 3 has gone a bit silly and fallen into a few Post-Apocalyptic tropes in recent episodes
Spoiler
A Cabal of like minded individuals has secretly taken over the US government, as they don't like the way the country is headed.
They have killed everyone in power that opposes their view, including the President. (Made to look like a suicide)
Set up a puppet President, who does what they say to keep his wife and children safe.
This new government has set up prisons/camps to house those that oppose them.
Built a wall to segregate their part of the US from the rest of the country and leave them to fend for themselves.

Only one person from the former Presidents staff is still alive, a former sailor from "The Last Ship". (USS Nathan James)
So no guesses to who she will turn to, to overturn the evil government and what the second half of Season 3 will be about.
She is being hunted by hitmen from the evil Cabal.
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:40:45 am by Tassie Dave »

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 30, 2016, 07:58:30 am »
I'd put Alphas season 1 on this list, and Alphas season 2 on the best list.
The show is basically a live action x men comic, but season one is more of a procedural while season 2 has more of a season long story arc.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 30, 2016, 10:15:13 am »
I'd put Alphas season 1 on this list, and Alphas season 2 on the best list.
The show is basically a live action x men comic, but season one is more of a procedural while season 2 has more of a season long story arc.
A pretty good version of the "what if superheros exist in a more realistic world" story.  I think it just got lost among the rest of those shows and movies that have come out recently.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2016, 09:04:16 am »
Colony.  A bit of a slow start. But they establish reasonably well from the start characters may die. Season 1 wraps up and the alien stuff is still a mystery. Really not so bad.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2016, 09:52:46 am »
Dark Matter

handguns, bow-ties, consciousness duplicating 'teleportation', FTL space travel... not sure what year or alternative reality this is set in.

think I should just re-watch Firefly instead.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:54:20 pm by GodSlayer »
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2016, 10:55:10 am »
Dark Matter

think I should just re-watch Firefly instead.
Thats how I feel about Killjoys.

Saw The Tick and I LOVE it.
The direction they are going with Arthur is really awesome imo and Im super (geddit?) excited to see more!

Edit-
I dont think Quarry is going to make it to being a great show.
The series only has 7 episodes to work and they are wallowing too much in the relationship drama and Quarry's tortured soul.

He isnt the cool customer from the books.
He looks like a flippin idiot with that moustache.
He is nowhere near as cunning or competant as his literary counterpart.

What made the books cool was that he had no real name, no one he loved and no regrets whatsoever.
They have taken all that away and made it a small town crime drama. The action was really good, but it was 5minutes of a 55 minute show.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 06:23:37 pm by Harry Black »

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • View Profile
    • Anomalina
« Reply #326 on: September 20, 2016, 02:55:59 am »
The Walking Dead must be on here already...

I gave up on it 2 years ago, but just checked back in 'cos they put S6 up on Netflix.
Yeah, fuck this show. It's just watching people die really laboriously, over and over again. The deaths are so clumsily-staged, random, deliver no lesson, and no emotion. Just, "Oh. Okay". And everytime Rick or Glenn stop to make a speech, it makes me want to grab a gun, hop the gate, and take my chances in the field. God, the dialogue is hack.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #327 on: September 20, 2016, 08:16:24 am »
To my tastes, Walking Dead isn't perfect. Each season starts charging out of the gate and then about mid "season" the plot gets bogged down in some minutiae and you're like "fuck". They work hard to make it a character driven show, vs a monster of the week. They do okay in that. To me.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 20, 2016, 08:37:23 am »
The Walking Dead must be on here already...

I gave up on it 2 years ago, but just checked back in 'cos they put S6 up on Netflix.
Yeah, fuck this show. It's just watching people die really laboriously, over and over again. The deaths are so clumsily-staged, random, deliver no lesson, and no emotion. Just, "Oh. Okay". And everytime Rick or Glenn stop to make a speech, it makes me want to grab a gun, hop the gate, and take my chances in the field. God, the dialogue is hack.

I feel the same way but I got there at the start of season 2.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:36 am »
To my tastes, Walking Dead isn't perfect. Each season starts charging out of the gate and then about mid "season" the plot gets bogged down in some minutiae and you're like "fuck". They work hard to make it a character driven show, vs a monster of the week. They do okay in that. To me.

This is kind of where I am.  It will have a run of shows that are just great then a run of shows that are tedious as hell.