Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56116 times)

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • View Profile
    • Anomalina
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:05 pm »
To my tastes, Walking Dead isn't perfect. Each season starts charging out of the gate and then about mid "season" the plot gets bogged down in some minutiae and you're like "fuck". They work hard to make it a character driven show, vs a monster of the week. They do okay in that. To me.

The problem is, after the character pool is trimmed by natural selection, you're left with kinda the same character surviving. I can't really tell the difference between Rick, Glenn, Maggie, carl, Morgan, the mayor lady, Rosita, um the black girl with the army jacket, the guy who looks like grown-up 16-year-old Justin Timberlake. They all have about the same stone-faced optimism, because everyone with an interesting flaw or weakness has already been culled by the environment for having it. Carol and Daryl are a little different, and I like them best. The big guy and Mullet are different, but cartoon characters.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2016, 09:39:33 am »
Young Justice
The story of a teenage superhero team mainly featuring teenage justice league counterparts.  This is not Teen Titans.  The stories are excellent and the character arcs are surprisingly deep and fleshed out, but because this is still aimed at young adults, there are some more interesting character stories not dealt with as fully as they could be.  I totally recommend it if you are into the DC animated stuff.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2016, 02:12:50 pm »
The new MacGyver show is one episode in.
Its pretty good. Better than most episodes in the original series at least.
Lots of action, a bit of charm, Mac uses his pocket knife a bunch and disarms a bomb with a paperclip.
Its somewhere between Chuck and Burn Notice.

My bff HATED it. But he has shitty taste.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 08, 2016, 11:37:51 am »
Z Nation is so much better than The Walking Dead. Its not great at all, and it carries lots of the cheesey hallmarks of The Asylum.
But for a company that relies on making intentionally shitty movies with names that sound like popular movies to turn a profit? They are innovating the shit out of it.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 08, 2016, 01:05:17 pm »
That is an odd opinion.  Except for the bit about Z Nation being much better than it ought to be considering its from the Asylum.

Is it weird that I really love that the Asylum exists?

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 08, 2016, 01:11:22 pm »
That is an odd opinion.  Except for the bit about Z Nation being much better than it ought to be considering its from the Asylum.

Is it weird that I really love that the Asylum exists?
I guess I just enjoy watching Z Nation more than TWD. I dont get mad at anyone and it doesnt take itself seriously while actually having an original take on zombies that is going somewhere!

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 11, 2016, 05:29:20 pm »
Actually, I can see where you're coming from.

Bones, started of as an entertaining, light if unrealistic procedural its now in season 11.  The writers on this show should have there fingers removed so they can never right again.  Its so completely lazy.  The characters are all one dimensional caricatures of where they started.   It was never great but it was entertaining but now, its just sucks. In the latest episode I watched, it appears as though one of the main characters has died but there's never a moment where you think they are and it would actually be a better show if the got rid of the two leads.  So, I was hoping he had died.  In that regard, its a lot like the Walking Dead. 

The worst part I can't look away. Some sort of completionist fetish or something. 

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 11, 2016, 05:53:26 pm »
I get like that with some shows too! I cant stop watching, but I dont have the energy to watch something that I know is highly acclaimed.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 11, 2016, 10:43:49 pm »
I'm really struggling to find any new TV shows I can be bothered with.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 11, 2016, 11:01:30 pm »
I have no problem with walking away from a show.  I love giving things up that "waste time."  It's sort of this false self improvement high, where all I've really done is give up on a crummy show.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 11, 2016, 11:22:25 pm »
I'm really struggling to find any new TV shows I can be bothered with.
Then go back. I know there's a ton of highly acclaimed shit I missed the first time around.
Breaking Bad- never saw it.
The Wire- didn't see it
Mad Men- nope, missed that one.

Hell, I'll never have time, let alone new stuff.
(Bonus points for buying the Brisco County Jr box set, though, I made time for that)
Get thee behind me, millennial

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41:03 pm »
Then go back. I know there's a ton of highly acclaimed shit I missed the first time around.
The Wire- didn't see it

seen it
seen it
heard it's overrated/not my thing anyway.

but I see the new season of Black Mirror starts in a couple weeks, so at least there's that

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 12, 2016, 09:20:03 am »
Hell yes, "Black Mirror".

I hear folks often hand the "Twilight Zone" mantle to some genre show or another.  This one actually deserves such consideration.
Well.  There it is.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2016, 08:21:53 pm »
Hell yes, "Black Mirror".

I hear folks often hand the "Twilight Zone" mantle to some genre show or another.  This one actually deserves such consideration.

it helps, I think, that it's made in England. imagine if they tried to do it in America and the executives are like 'ok, give us 20 episodes and maybe you'll get a second season'.

apparently they main guy behind Twilight Zone would just sit at home and dictate his scripts practically start to finish, like it was effortless. ...156 episodes in total. we've seen 7 from Black Mirror so far, 6 more coming this year. I'm glad it's quality over quantity, but I wonder how long they can sustain it.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 14, 2016, 07:07:13 am »
The Wire- didn't see it

seen it
seen it
heard it's overrated/not my thing anyway.

but I see the new season of Black Mirror starts in a couple weeks, so at least there's that

Breaking Bad. IMO is the best TV show ever.
The Wire was good but starting to show it's age when I watched it (Last year)
Mad Men. Binged the first season after everyone was raving about it. Way over-rated and not for me, and I couldn't see why people liked the lead actor. He has been barely adequate in any roles I've seen him in.

Love Black Mirror, but when I recommend it to friends and family, I advise to start at Episode 2 then watch Episode 1 after you've seen a few episodes.
The pig episode can put some people off. I don't know why?  ;)  ;D