Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56117 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #345 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:46 pm »
I was never blown away by mad men either. I would put it on sometimes as background noise but found it pretty boring and not sure why so many people raved about it.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 14, 2016, 02:24:15 pm »
I was never blown away by mad men either. I would put it on sometimes as background noise but found it pretty boring and not sure why so many people raved about it.
I found the initial mystery intriguing, but I came to realise I was watching a well acted soap opera with nice costumes.
I went two seasons without anything happening that I gave a shit about.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2016, 12:52:13 pm »
Just watched the first two MacGyver reboot.

Meh.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2016, 01:03:32 pm »

Meh.
You are twice the person I am.  I had to shut the 1st episode off.  Deeply diappointed. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

Meh.
You are twice the person I am.  I had to shut the 1st episode off.  Deeply diappointed. 

I can certainly understand why people wouldnt like it.
I dont get how people are comparing it unfavourably to the original though. Having recently rewatched the entire original series, there are huge parts of each season that are basically unwatchable! Even the best episodes are just meh.
Its always been a pretty poor property.
But one that I just cant stop at least trying to watch!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2016, 08:54:09 am »
Marcella on Netflix (an ITV production).

Tries to be kind of a cross between Happy Valley, The Fall, and Denmark's The Killing. Fires on a cylinder or two short. Lots of characters to keep track of. Lots of relationships. Keeps you guessing mostly to the end, although I'm not the smartest person when I watch these shows.

Lots of idiot plot moments, however. Stuff I don't think cops would ever actually do.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2016, 01:32:07 pm »
Marcella on Netflix (an ITV production).

Tries to be kind of a cross between Happy Valley, The Fall, and Denmark's The Killing. Fires on a cylinder or two short. Lots of characters to keep track of. Lots of relationships. Keeps you guessing mostly to the end, although I'm not the smartest person when I watch these shows.

Lots of idiot plot moments, however. Stuff I don't think cops would ever actually do.

Agree 100% with your assessment.

Goliath - New Amazon Prime show starring Billy Bob Thorton as.. you guessed it.. a foul mouthed alcoholic asshole.. who happens to be a disgraced lawyer. I've only watched 2 episodes so far, and I'm intrigued enough by the plot to watch the rest, but there's something about it. Great actors who are not doing a great job acting. Tells me there's something off about the director. It's got outrageous things that happen constantly. A bit too often for it to feel right. It's almost like a dramedy, but not enough funny things happen for it to meet that label.

Sort of like the issues described above with Marcella. It's not quite all there.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2016, 09:32:44 pm »

Meh.

I dont get how people are comparing it unfavourably to the original though. Having recently rewatched the entire original series, there are huge parts of each season that are basically unwatchable! Even the best episodes are just meh.

I'm not surprised that the original series doesn't hold up. At the time it was an entirely new kind of heroic action - at least it was for me. It was iconic enough to become a verb, even. In that sense the concept of the show is better than the show. Sadly, the concept of the reboot is also much better than the show.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 18, 2016, 10:18:45 am »

Meh.

Nostalgia!  I also tried to watch a few episode on Netflix, mostly difficult  I agree with Brillington though, it was sorta different from most other TV/Film.  We hadn't had a nerd action hero since the 50s.  In some ways it was like a smarter version of the A-Team. 

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2016, 10:19:23 am »

Meh.

Nostalgia!  I also tried to watch a few episode on Netflix, mostly difficult  I agree with Brillington though, it was sorta different from most other TV/Film.  We hadn't had a nerd action hero since the 50s.  In some ways it was like a smarter version of the A-Team.

Oh my. I never thought of that connection. I did love the A-Team back in the day.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:34 am »
Stuff I don't think cops would ever actually do.
Describes pretty much every US cop show. 

ETA:  Probably most non-US cop shows too, but I generally only get to see the best of those.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:33 am »
Stuff I don't think cops would ever actually do.
Describes pretty much every US cop show. 

ETA:  Probably most non-US cop shows too, but I generally only get to see the best of those.

if you ever get the chance. compare C.O.P.S (America) with Police 10/7 (New Zealand) :)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 19, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »
Goliath is getting better. On episode 5 now and I'm liking it more and more. It's only an 8 episode season which I prefer to the typical streaming-show 12-13 episode run.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 21, 2016, 10:23:19 am »
did he really just say 'I hate trees'?

American Horror Story is looking pretty dubious right now

Spoiler
Spoiler
two axe wounds to the abdomin ... think I'll go for a walk down the hallway.
[close]
ep 2 looking equally ridiculous, but I'm commited to the season.

Spoiler
couple one-armed hits with a shovel kill someone? it wasn't exactly a king hit.

as if that wasn't unbelievable enough, a psychologist knows how to build a gazebo in an afternoon? and if she knew covering over her grave would mean she's stuck here, why not go downstairs and say something
[close]
ep 3 not looking much better. grrr.

up to ep 7 now
Spoiler
so, it seems like all of his patients are already dead or die... I get that there are illusions going on, like the young maid, but does this extend to his bank account? 'cause I doubt dead people pay for therapy.
[close]

ep 8...
Spoiler
'we don't need to be prisoners to this house anymore' ... oh no, there's ghosts in my car. oh well, if I can't drive I'm sure as fuck not gunna walk/bus/Uber, ::runs back into the house instead of down the road::
[close]
ep 10... :)
Spoiler
well, at least I didn't see that coming :)
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:33:49 am by GodSlayer »
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there you'll be able to see farther."

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 29, 2016, 05:42:22 pm »
I just finished Quarry. Yes, I know I should have stopped watching, but I somehow just cant stop with things I hate. Its the only reason I workout or get up in the morning.
I think knowing it was only 8 episodes kept me going and I have a fascination for bad writing (not that Im actually very good myself. But one can appreciate).
I think what really grabbed me was that this show only had to be one very simple thing in order to be awesome. The most simple and explicitly stated thing in the books it was based on (affable and ruthless man kills for money. Complications ensue), but they went a different way. And that would have been fine...
Except we ended up with an unlikeable and incompetant protagonist, who cant seem to get anything right, who makes emotional decisions constantly and isnt even smart enough to bring a spare mag to a gunfight.

We have Buddy, a really fascinating character played by Damon Herriman of Justified, who was amazing and compelling as a jaded and competent hitman, depressed about his lack of options as a gay man in Memphis in the 70s. His story goes fucking NOWHERE.
We have Jamie Hector (who played Marlo in The Wire) who is barely there but hints at a better show that we didnt get to see.
We follow characters who have no bearing on the plot. We look at events as they unfolded in the 70's, the munich olympics, the election at the time, race relations and homophobia.
None of it is relevant to the annoying story of Mac (Quarry) being utterly shit at life and yet being The Brokers seeming pet project and valued above his genuinely incredible team of killers, detectives and marksmen.
Macs marriage problems and his wifes worries about his ptsd only serve to make the episodes longer and the annoying emphasis on the 70's Memphis music scene just seemed like the showrunner had a pet project he had wanted to make and this was his only shot.
The show does capture the aesthetic and dirty feel of my early childhood memories-unshowered men with moustaches drinking and smoking in brown rooms and driving brown cars around nowhere locations. So it probably got the feeling of the era right?
But we still have to be battered with the fact that Mac has modern sensibilities- He is colour blind (the character in the book was mildly racist), he leans democrat and the fucker even puts butter in his fucking coffee.
This is all before I get to the convoluted and annoying plot that revolves around the heroin trade, of Quarry being picked for the job while being in Vietnam and of the annoying cop sub plot that, again, goes fucking nowhere.

This is high concept TV that just fell flat on its face in every episode. Over directed and under edited.