Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 57386 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #360 on: October 29, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »
I just finished Quarry. Yes, I know I should have stopped watching, but I somehow just cant stop with things I hate......

This is high concept TV that just fell flat on its face in every episode. Over directed and under edited.

That is disappointing. I was waiting for it to finish before starting it.

I haven't read your points in between the two sentences I quote. I'll at least watch the first couple to see if it is worth watching to the end.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »
I just finished Quarry. Yes, I know I should have stopped watching, but I somehow just cant stop with things I hate......

This is high concept TV that just fell flat on its face in every episode. Over directed and under edited.

I haven't read your points in between the two sentences I quote. I'll at least watch the first couple to see if it is worth watching to the end.
Oh give it a look!
 Id love to hear an alternate take on it.
The reviews Ive read are pretty good, but many sites try not to review stuff the dont like so who knows.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2016, 07:01:06 AM »

Oh give it a look!
 Id love to hear an alternate take on it.
The reviews Ive read are pretty good, but many sites try not to review stuff the dont like so who knows.

It is next on my queue after I finish Luke Cage and Black Mirror (S3).

I'll at least give it a try.

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 02, 2016, 01:02:25 PM »
I really enjoyed Humans season 1 on BBC. It wasn't great TV. I was really annoyed with the season 2 premier. I don't like the direction the plot is going. I think it's not a well enough written show to cover the subject of androids gaining humanity.

I'm much more bothered this season with the new android jobs they are introducing. There's a couple new jobs that are done by robots that they introduced (I don't remember seeing anything like this in season 1) that make very little sense for a humanoid android to be doing: Sweeping the park, mining with a pick-axe, moving goods around a warehouse. Having human arms and legs seems like an incredibly inefficient way to do these tasks. It really bothers me.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 02, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
The Good Place is pretty great, but I have a feeling it won't stay on the air long enough to graduate to the Very Best TV list.

But I give it my highest recommendation. Watch it.  Kristen Bell is putting in an Emmy worthy performance so far.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 02, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
The Good Place is pretty great, but I have a feeling it won't stay on the air long enough to graduate to the Very Best TV list.

But I give it my highest recommendation. Watch it.  Kristen Bell is putting in an Emmy worthy performance so far.
I just got caught up on it. Im hoping Ted Danson is enough to buy it more time.
Im really on the edge of my seat with the last reveal, not many sitcoms can do that.

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »
Red Oaks, a coming-of-age comedy series on Amazon, is worth watching. Intelligent plots, well-produced and acted, with no annoying laugh track. 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #367 on: November 07, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
The Crown. Meh. Doctor Who as Prince Philip. Princess Margaret as one saucy minx! An interesting walk, so far, through some 1950s history. 7/10.

Offline Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
Fuller House, you could teach class on bad sitcoms based on this show.   I know, I knew that going in still, it's aggressively bad, like a direct to syndication sitcom from the early 80s bad.  Worth watching an episode for that reason alone. 

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:50 AM »
Fuller House, you could teach class on bad sitcoms based on this show.   I know, I knew that going in still, it's aggressively bad, like a direct to syndication sitcom from the early 80s bad.  Worth watching an episode for that reason alone.

Full House perfectly executed what it was trying to do.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
Full House perfectly executed what it was trying to do.

They meant to make it that bad  ???

Online Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »
The OA.

Honestly, I can't say it better than Vox did
http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/17/13903980/the-oa-review-netflix
The important thing is that The OA defies description. To talk about it is to rob it of some of its weirdo power. I can’t precisely tell you if I liked or hated this show. I don’t even know. I liked some of it. I hated some of it. But I enjoyed watching it because I couldn’t believe it was a real television program.

There are a few things that will immensely piss off skeptics
Spoiler
namely the fact that the show is driven by two anti-skeptical themes.. NDEs and a strong anti-psychopharmacology message
[close]
, but if you can will yourself to ignore those things and watch it as a show set in a fantastic world (fantastic in that non-natural things happen) maybe you'll get some enjoyment out of it. I binged it this weekend so I can't claim to have hated the experience of watching it, but I don't love the show as a whole.

Anyway.. watch it I guess.. or don't.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
I can't believe "2 Broke Girls" is still going.

Its six fucking seasons in. SIX. It jumped the shark on episode one, and its still going.
To be honest, it makes me angry that it exists and that it is hugely popular.
Its just so hollow and vapid....

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
my mom loves 2BG (or...watches it, anyway) and Big Bang Theory, and 21/2Men. all the big name insipid sitcoms
"Skepticism is the first step on the road to philosophy."

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 18, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
I mean, Im by no means an elitist. I like stupid TV shows. I like stuff that is just okay, im not even that picky.
But that show is just so, for a lack of a better term, stupid.

Its just a paint by numbers show. I can just imagine the writers room.

"Okay guys, then get this, the BLACK guy says something like "you crazy crackers"
"hiLARIOUS jon"
"Then the perverted foreigner is all like "I would love to bite that cracker"
"oH! INSPIRED!"
"Then the girls look at each other and say something snarky and pause for a 5 second laugh track"
"End scene! Great work today guys!"