Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 56014 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2016, 09:32:07 am »
I mean, Im by no means an elitist. I like stupid TV shows. I like stuff that is just okay, im not even that picky.
But that show is just so, for a lack of a better term, stupid.

Its just a paint by numbers show. I can just imagine the writers room.

"Okay guys, then get this, the BLACK guy says something like "you crazy crackers"
"hiLARIOUS jon"
"Then the perverted foreigner is all like "I would love to bite that cracker"
"oH! INSPIRED!"
"Then the girls look at each other and say something snarky and pause for a 5 second laugh track"
"End scene! Great work today guys!"

Does anyone else remember when two broke girls was actually hailed as a progressive victory due to its inclusive cast and female leads?  That lasted pretty much up to the moment the first episode ended.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2016, 11:28:03 am »
I mean, Im by no means an elitist. I like stupid TV shows. I like stuff that is just okay, im not even that picky.

"Okay guys, then get this, the BLACK guy says something like "you crazy crackers"
"hiLARIOUS jon"
"oH! INSPIRED!"
"Then the girls look at each other and say something snarky and pause for a 5 second laugh track"

Uggghhhh. That show is the pits. 2 1/2 men is equally bad, Big Bang Theory is close.
I recall reading some article --I forget the real subject--but it referred to the brunette actress as a "master of comic timing". I was literally shocked that ANYONE would write that. I  have seen maybe a total of an hour of that show over the years and it amazes me how much every single minuted STILL looks like a pilot episode. Bad jokes, stilted acting. I HATE when you can see the actors pause after every lame joke so as to leave room for the laugh track to go on for 3-4 seconds.
There's no such thing as denial.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2016, 11:49:33 am »
Kat Dennings is actually pretty good, the writing just sucks and the laugh track necessarily throws timing out the window.  I've seen roughly 20 minutes of the show, I still say 2 1/2 men is worse but not by much.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:25 am »

"hiLARIOUS jon"
"oH! INSPIRED!"

Uggghhhh. That show is the pits. 2 1/2 men is equally bad, Big Bang Theory is close.
I recall reading some article --I forget the real subject--but it referred to the brunette actress as a "master of comic timing". I was literally shocked that ANYONE would write that. I  have seen maybe a total of an hour of that show over the years and it amazes me how much every single minuted STILL looks like a pilot episode. Bad jokes, stilted acting. I HATE when you can see the actors pause after every lame joke so as to leave room for the laugh track to go on for 3-4 seconds.

Every sitcom that goes on in perpetuity falls victim to this.  The characters all start out as distinct personalities, but people love Kramer,  so eventually everyone is Kramer.

I think in this way the British model is superior.  A show lasts 3-4 seasons on purpose.  Just look at the British "Office" and American "Office".  In the American "Office" Michael Scott becomes the hero of the thing, which was NOT how the show started, but hey, everyone loves Michael......
Well.  There it is.

Online Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 19, 2016, 11:59:02 am »
I think in this way the British model is superior.  A show lasts 3-4 seasons on purpose.  Just look at the British "Office" and American "Office".  In the American "Office" Michael Scott becomes the hero of the thing, which was NOT how the show started, but hey, everyone loves Michael......
Even if the show lasts 20 series, its only as many episodes as 5 or 6 seasons of a US tv show.  It just doesn't give them as much time to get stale.  Also, one show cant' be a full time job, doesn't give the writers or actors nearly as much time to get bored of a show. 

On the other hand, it doesn't give them time to do something like the X-files, where I'd argue the filler episodes were better than than the main story line.  Or something like the 24.  If the US would just let hit shows die at there peak instead of dragging on past their prime, we wouldn't have that problem. 

Also, 2BG and 2.5 men, sucked start to finish, it wasn't because they got stale, they started out stale.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:15 pm »

"hiLARIOUS jon"
"oH! INSPIRED!"

Every sitcom that goes on in perpetuity falls victim to this.  The characters all start out as distinct personalities, but people love Kramer,  so eventually everyone is Kramer.

I was speaking more of the awful stilted feeling that most TV pilots have--including the pilot---and whole early 1st season of Seinfeld.

Hated that character. In general I don't care for the actor either.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »

Morgan Murphy, one of the comics on their writing staff has spoken highly of her talents as an actress, too.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2016, 08:35:56 am »

"hiLARIOUS jon"
"oH! INSPIRED!"

I was speaking more of the awful stilted feeling that most TV pilots have--including the pilot---and whole early 1st season of Seinfeld.

You do understand that as far as television goes, that show was a hit and a big reason was that character though, right?  I wasn't attempting to specifically address your personal tastes.
Well.  There it is.

Online Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2016, 09:39:05 am »

Morgan Murphy, one of the comics on their writing staff has spoken highly of her talents as an actress, too.
Ironic, considering its primarily the writing(and direction) that make that show suck so much.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2016, 10:24:20 am »
Kat Dennings is actually pretty good, the writing just sucks and the laugh track necessarily throws timing out the window.  I've seen roughly 20 minutes of the show, I still say 2 1/2 men is worse but not by much.

The cast of all those shows is actually pretty good, and they need to be.  Those actors really wring all they can out of the total crap they are given.

Also, so far Season 3 of Mozart in the Jungle continues its streak of perfectly cromulent television.  *though compared to the above shows, this is shakespeare.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 20, 2016, 01:17:46 pm »

"hiLARIOUS jon"
"oH! INSPIRED!"

You do understand that as far as television goes, that show was a hit and a big reason was that character though, right?  I wasn't attempting to specifically address your personal tastes.

Oh, I didn't think you were commenting on my taste.  You might be right about him being the reason for the show being a hit. I didn't care for how they had the other characters become more fond of him. Didn't ring well. I watched it from time to time and occasionally it could be very good, but have never had the urge to rewatch it. The original (british version) was pretty good but didn't do much more for me.

Offline GodSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 20, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »

Ironic, considering its primarily the writing(and direction) that make that show suck so much.

maybe she's impressed someone can pull off such atrocious material?

Online Ah.hell

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2017, 02:31:33 pm »
Found this thing on Amazon last night. 
Super knocked-up.  A sit come based on the notion of a super villain and super hero have a one night stand and the super villain gets knocked, hilarity ensues.  Its not good but I think the concept is funny enough I kind of hope it gets more episodes and a better budget.  Episodes are maybe 3 minutes long.

It would drive my wife nuts because any plot about a couple forced together after a one night stand stopped making sense since 1973.   She also hates the plot device because she wants abortion normalized.  I keep telling her there's no humor and not much drama in character having an abortion with out any drama but it practically writes itself if the mother chooses not to have an abortion or there's angst about it. 

Anyrate, its not good but its short and has potential.  So, maybe they'd get a better budget if you all take a look?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • View Profile
    • Anomalina
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
The Young Pope

I made it through, but I fell asleep literally on every one of the four episodes. I guess it's interesting to find some parallels to Trump's power grab. Guy who drinks his own koolaid, anointed by God, gets in power and then bucks all expectation and tradition to swerve hard right. People who actually got him there can do nothing but watch the newly-infallible strong-man ruin their institution. Eventually, they will resort to treachery to try and oust him. Except it moves so goddamned slow, everything unfolds in terse 20 minute conversations behind a desk or else in long strolls through the garden. I think everything that happened so far could have been condensed to 1 episode.
There's a little magical realism, which I like, where they toy with: is he or isn't he God's chosen one, with some actual mystical powers. That could be fun, in the next series.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2017, 07:55:24 pm »
Van Helsing (Netflix) folding clothes/10

The show was awkward and uneven, especially the editing. You shouldn't notice editing. Interesting idea, but also quite predictable.