Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 28423 times)

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
Finished Into The Badlands.
Dumb story and a slow first season. But the fight scenes....
Nostalgic bliss and a triumph of talent over budget.
Nick Frost elevates the second season very impressively!

You could watch the first and last episodes of season one (though I recommend skimming for the fights) and then watch season two complete.
Definitely liked what they're trying to do with that but, didn't seem quite successful to me.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #451 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
I haven't seen much more than Voyager and one of the new movies, but I suspect avid fans who recognise all the things they're parodying might enjoy this more

This is an actual TV show. I thought it was a youtube parody. Oh dear.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
Black Sails. Based on an SGU mention recommendation, I'm tucking into this 4 season series. I'm on episode 4 season 1. Okay so far. Not a lot of actual action. Lot of milling about on land. Some boobs. Have a helluva time remember names.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #453 on: July 17, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
Black Sails. Based on an SGU mention recommendation, I'm tucking into this 4 season series. I'm on episode 4 season 1. Okay so far. Not a lot of actual action. Lot of milling about on land. Some boobs. Have a helluva time remember names.

Season 1 is really meh, but it picks up a LOT and becomes the best gay anarchist pirate show ever.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
I haven't seen much more than Voyager and one of the new movies, but I suspect avid fans who recognise all the things they're parodying might enjoy this more

This is an actual TV show. I thought it was a youtube parody. Oh dear.

Seth wants to make a show, they give him a show.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #455 on: July 17, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
Black Books
I have a certain respect for a show not trying to reinvent the wheel by any stretch (it is shocking this was not produced in the 80s)  but totally nailing it.  Formulaic as fuck, but these formulas exist for a reason, they work when used effectively.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #456 on: July 18, 2017, 04:50:54 PM »
I liked black books, though your criticisms are not without merit.

Love, netflix series from Judd Apatow.    Not funny but I think its meant to be.   The main female lead is a terrible person, the only reason the main male would be into her is because she's hot and the only reason she would be into him is if she thought he could somehow save her from her miserable self destructive life.
The series is presented as a "down-to-earth look at dating", exploring male and female perspectives on romantic relationships through the characters Mickey and Gus, played by Jacobs and Rust respectively.[4]
Not really.  The relationship might make sense if the characters were much younger than they are, then you could call it a "down to earth" look at dating. 

The show is terrible but quite well reviewed by critics.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:58:08 PM by Ah.hell »

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #457 on: July 18, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
I liked black books, though your criticisms are not without merit.
I enjoy it.  It's well made sillyness.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #458 on: July 18, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
Yeah, Black Books was pretty good.
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Comrade Detective
Presented by Channing Tatum and Jon Ronson (?) this is a fictional tv show from the 80s about a Romanian cop during the communist era dubbed by Tatumand others who seem recognisable from every hilariously bad dub you ever saw.
The show itself is played 100% and is about a tough detective with a penchant for chess and a disregard for the rules.
Of course the villains are indulgent American capitalists.

40min seems too long for this joke to be stretched over but Im interested to try episode 2 because this is just so nuts and oddly watchable.

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #460 on: August 16, 2017, 06:51:59 AM »
Don't know if this series has been mentioned yet, but three episodes in, and Get Shorty is looking good.
I'm not going to use your pronouns.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #461 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
Comrade Detective
Presented by Channing Tatum and Jon Ronson (?) this is a fictional tv show from the 80s about a Romanian cop during the communist era dubbed by Tatumand others who seem recognisable from every hilariously bad dub you ever saw.
The show itself is played 100% and is about a tough detective with a penchant for chess and a disregard for the rules.

40min seems too long for this joke to be stretched over but Im interested to try episode 2 because this is just so nuts and oddly watchable.

Is this anything like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? Sounds a bit similar, and that series is awesome.
Mooohn!

Online Harry Black

« Reply #462 on: August 17, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »
Comrade Detective

Is this anything like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace? Sounds a bit similar, and that series is awesome.
I actually compared it to that yesterday when describing to my friends.
Its FAR more subtle than Dark Place. Theres no big joke moments and you could be forgiven for thinking that its a real show.
Its a clever commentary on propaganda by showing the absurdity from the opposite side.
I didnt realise its actually written in english then translated and performed in Romanian by Romanian actors on location and only then is it actually dubbed.
The sheer balls of that makes it worth a look imo but dont go in expecting a laugh a minute.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
Marvel's The Defenders

Its pretty good. Check it out if you liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones but its not quite as strong as either.
The weakest link is still the casting mistakes we are stuck with from Iron Fist. Danny Rand is no less annoying and no smarter and another character from that series shows up and really does a bad job to be honest.
There are some really great actors in this like Rosario Dawson, the lady who plays Madam Gau etc, but they kind show up their co-stars and end up making the cracks show.

Theres some breaking of internal logic when you are trying to remember who can hurt who in the fight scenes and peoples powers seem to be set by the person who is in front of them. But welcome to comics!

The overall plot isnt great and the end is a bit anti climatic but its good overal and its well under 8hrs long.
I do honestly recommend it if you are at all interested in the marvel netflix shows.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #464 on: August 19, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
Marvel's The Defenders

Its pretty good. Check it out if you liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones but its not quite as strong as either.
The weakest link is still the casting mistakes we are stuck with from Iron Fist. Danny Rand is no less annoying and no smarter and another character from that series shows up and really does a bad job to be honest.
There are some really great actors in this like Rosario Dawson, the lady who plays Madam Gau etc, but they kind show up their co-stars and end up making the cracks show.

Theres some breaking of internal logic when you are trying to remember who can hurt who in the fight scenes and peoples powers seem to be set by the person who is in front of them. But welcome to comics!

The overall plot isnt great and the end is a bit anti climatic but its good overal and its well under 8hrs long.
I do honestly recommend it if you are at all interested in the marvel netflix shows.

Gearing up to watch it right now.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.