Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 53614 times)

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #600 on: May 09, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »
Tuca and Bertie - 0/10

New animated series by one of the producers of Bojack Horseman.  Unwatchable.  Gave up 15 excruciating minutes into the first episode.

Posted in this thread as a public service.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:52:43 PM by jt512 »
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2019, 09:53:46 AM »
Outlander 4.5/10 but my wife seems to like it.

A historical romance in which a nurse from the 1940s travels back in time to 1740s Scotland. 

It would probably be ok but for the incessant voice over.  It's probably a hold over from the books but on TV its either insulting the audience or lazy writing. 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
Outlander 4.5/10 but my wife seems to like it.

A historical romance in which a nurse from the 1940s travels back in time to 1740s Scotland. 

It would probably be ok but for the incessant voice over.  It's probably a hold over from the books but on TV its either insulting the audience or lazy writing.

OoohtLander
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #603 on: August 01, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
I have some friends who love Outlander but I couldn't get past an episode or two. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2019, 12:57:02 PM »
I genuinely enjoyed Outlander until season 3, but then diminishing returns hit quite hard.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #605 on: August 01, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Wrong thread
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:08:44 AM by Boßel »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2019, 08:17:20 AM »
Wu Assassins
Not going to rate it yet as Im only on the third ep and not sure if I will bother finishing it.
Its a martial arts 'chosen one' story set in modern San Francisco that focuses on the build up to a gang war between triads and russians while a mild mannered chef is experiencing some sort of magical transformation into an ancient monk assassin or something.
I LOVE hong kong cinema and wushu on screen, but this series takes itself FAR too seriously and tries too hard to be gritty. The lead actor (the dude from The Raid) is quite bad tbh and while the gang war story line is given loads of air to breath and we see the history of all the characters involved, the supernatural side of it is just thrown in with a strange girl showing up out of nowhere with massive exposition dumps for the main character with NO context whatsoever.
Aside from that, even the fights are contrived, with groups of 90s style punks just showing up being dickheads whenever an action beat is needed and no real consequences for anything.
Bad writing can be really fun but not when it takes itself this seriously.

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #607 on: August 14, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
At first glance Twelve Forever looks like any other cartoon about growing up: Twelve-year old Regina Abbot hates her lame hometown and "stuck-up" classmates, then discovers a magical world where she's powerful, yada yada… So definitely qualifies as "not the very best."

However after catching a few episodes with friends I was surprised at how the writers don't sugarcoat Reggie's significant behavioral problems: Quite often she is the bad guy but just can't see it that way, so even though each episode usually has a resolution when she's forced to acknowledge her mistakes, the tension keeps building anyway. So kudos to them for not glorifying "wackiness" when it's just selfish behavior that's causing harm.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #608 on: August 15, 2019, 12:57:35 PM »
Has anyone watched Another Life on Netflix? Sci-fi show starring Starbuck. I haven't yet. It has terrible reviews on IMDb. Id love for someone to tell me it's worth watching just to have another sci-fi show to binge but not unless someone can tell me it's worth the time.

Offline Ishmael

• Off to a Start
« Reply #609 on: August 20, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »
Has anyone watched Another Life on Netflix? Sci-fi show starring Starbuck. I haven't yet. It has terrible reviews on IMDb. Id love for someone to tell me it's worth watching just to have another sci-fi show to binge but not unless someone can tell me it's worth the time.
Is that the one where they have an untold number of people in deep freeze, so that if any actor demands a raise character gets killed, all they have to do is defrost a replacement?  Not a great way get the audience emotionally attached to any particular character, is it?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
-Hunter Thompson

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #610 on: September 02, 2019, 05:39:50 PM »
Better Than Us - Russian show about a near future with robots. The show revolving around a company that makes robots and a robot that starts to break Asimov's laws. It's also a sort of family drama.

It doesn't belong on the "Very Best" list but it's actually a really fun watch. I'm 3 episodes in. It's the first time Netflix has pushed a Russian TV show on me (not sure if there have been any other Russian produced Netflix shows). I'm dating someone who was born in Russia and I've been learning Russian so I'm watching it in original with subtitles.

My girlfriend says the main actors in the show are both B-list in Russia, but I think the acting has been pretty good so far. What I like most is the future technology. It's all really common sense stuff that I could see being developed in the next 5-10 years. Stuff like wristwatch projections on arms instead of smart phones (including AR games that kids play that utilize the projections), screens on different surfaces and how they're manipulated seems natural, light barriers in roadways to indicate when to stop at an intersection.. there's a ton of small tech details that make me go "that's a really good idea".

Worth a watch. I watched the English dubbing and it wasn't too bad either.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »
At first glance Twelve Forever looks like any other cartoon about growing up: Twelve-year old Regina Abbot hates her lame hometown and "stuck-up" classmates, then discovers a magical world where she's powerful, yada yada… So definitely qualifies as "not the very best."

However after catching a few episodes with friends I was surprised at how the writers don't sugarcoat Reggie's significant behavioral problems: Quite often she is the bad guy but just can't see it that way, so even though each episode usually has a resolution when she's forced to acknowledge her mistakes, the tension keeps building anyway. So kudos to them for not glorifying "wackiness" when it's just selfish behavior that's causing harm.

gave it a shot and it was interesting but too ADD for me. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #612 on: September 03, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »

Didn't  the creator get fired for being weird about sexualizing a boy?

EDIT:  no, apparently she was fired for abusing the staff, then later posted nasty thoughts about a 14yo boy.

Yikes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:01:51 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #613 on: September 03, 2019, 12:56:16 PM »
Didn't  the creator get fired for being weird about sexualizing a boy?

EDIT:  no, apparently she was fired for abusing the staff, then later posted nasty thoughts about a 14yo boy.

Yikes.

I hadn't heard about any of this, so thanks... and YIKES! from me now too. (It was creepy enough that Nickelodeon hired the creator of The Loud House even after he had published a comic about incest; he too was fired for sexual misconduct and other stuff.)

Now I'm reluctant to even mention Infinity Train...

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
Castle Rock - 0/10

It's one of those, "you'll have no idea what's going on for 10 hours then get a shitty, stupid ending!," shows.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

personate-rain