Author Topic: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 55672 times)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: List of the Not the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #675 on: January 12, 2020, 02:04:40 PM »
Carrying on from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Star Trek: Voyager S01

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #676 on: January 12, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S02-S03E01

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #677 on: January 12, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S03E02-S04E01

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #678 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S04E02-S04E26

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #679 on: January 12, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S05-S05E11

If you were wondering which Star Trek season I had the longest comments for, this is it (at the time this was posted).

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #680 on: January 12, 2020, 02:10:38 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S05E12-S06E01

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #681 on: January 12, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S06E02-S07E01

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #682 on: January 12, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
Star Trek: Voyager S07E02-S07E26

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #683 on: January 12, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »
So in summary, Neelix is male. A.k.a. I hadn't really heard much about this show, before watching it.

Along the way, I was reminded of a later character who I had seen references to. They turned out to be a better character than expected. Possibly helped by the low standards set by almost everyone else.

There are some good episodes here and there. But the good episodes stand alone. The bad episodes stand together, and make it difficult to forget about the earlier flaws, as they keep failing in the same ways, even bringing up past mistakes and doubling down on their decisions.

It's okay to try something different. But with 9 "modern" Star Trek seasons preceding them, I don't expect them to start completely from scratch and spend a lot of time on finding their way, as it were. They spent the first 4 seasons on launching the series. Then when it starts to feel like they might be hitting their stride, it collapses into a random mess again.

If the Voyager crew were meant to be portrayed as incompetent, insane, or villains, then maybe the series would've been more enjoyable if that intent had been made clear from the start.

In terms of sci-fi, at least they explored holograms and emergent properties. Well, for one hologram. But they overused the holodeck, without really doing anything meaningful with it. Same with various deep space phenomena. A bunch of weird stuff happens, and then it stops happening, with no further consequences.

In terms of consistency and worldbuilding, they're the opposite of DS9. Very little builds from one episode to the next. When they do revisit past events, they usually don't account for what Voyager has been up to in the meantime. And the characters don't really build, either. They change behavior with the plot. In terms of ethics, they're often the opposite of Starfleet.

The needs of Voyager outweigh the needs of everyone else in the galaxy, seems to the moral of the story

Here are some deleted lines from the episode reviews:

(click to show/hide)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #684 on: January 16, 2020, 01:08:30 AM »
I rewatched the Witcher and I have thoughts.

Even on second viewing, the timelines do not work. You can't just have three separate timelines and plot threads and not explain/signal them properly, it is just bad writing, especially with all the jumping around that is going on in every episode. If you go non-linear, you have to make sure that you know what you are doing and you have a rock-solid script and director, otherwise this is the end result. You also cannot jump decades and have regular human characters look exactly the same as before.

Also, I really feel that they should have had more episodes. Of the three plot threads, only Yennefer's feels compelling. Ciri's is a weird and disjointed trauma conga line that does not really go anywhere and Geralt's is too episodic and too tied to a tried dead girl story. They should have fleshed it all out more, especially in the buildup to the grand finale which falls flat exactly due to the fact that we have not met most of these characters before and suddenly their mass deaths are supposed to elicit some kind of response. This in particular feels like large chunks of the story were either forgotten about or suddenly cut without a proper workaround.

They may use the timelines to build these characters up in future seasons, but that is no way to make the finale of the first season work.

Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #685 on: January 16, 2020, 02:48:47 AM »
Netflix have put an interactive timeline up for the TV show. It differs slightly from the books. In the books Yennefer is about 10 years older than Geralt. In the TV show she's 32 years younger.

https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

The season takes place over 57 years of Yennerfer's timeline (From age 14 to 71) and 32 years of Geralt's timeline (from age 71 to 103), Ciri's timeline is all over a short period (weeks or months)

The Bard is the problematic human as far as  onscreen aging goes. He is 18 when we first meet him in the show and 40 when we last see him.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #686 on: January 16, 2020, 03:30:06 AM »
The interactive timeline does help, but external explanations should not be necessary to make sense of a TV show.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #687 on: January 16, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »
I think everyone has nailed the Witcher's biggest issue. Even putting Geralt in a different colored tunic would have helped a little. But ultimately it was unnecessary and only front-loaded to create urgency. The show for Geralt truly only starts at the end of the last episode. This is the real problem with flashbacks, they just suck the wind out of the forward momentum, and these are worse as they are confusing. I did find it more entertaining by the end of the season though when he became less a gloom stalker and more invested in having a life.
That said, for the money, I expected this to have GoT level production design, but it honestly felt closer to Xena on screen. Aside from already thinking Cavill is not a good actor anyway, he just looked awkward with how swole he was. Do Witchers have complimentary gym memberships? I get that physique for superheros, but in a fantasy setting it always looks weird.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #688 on: January 17, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
Yeah I just finished the Witcher and agree. They could have done it way better.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #689 on: January 19, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
I took Geralts phsyique to be part and parcel of being a mutant. No one in the world looks like him so that kind of works for me. I do like Cavill though so I might be biased. His brother is (or was) CO of 30 Commando. I dislike officers but that adds yet more bias for me.
The biggest part of the timeline I struggled with was the time between Ciri leaving the castle and meeting Geralt. Her story seems to span great time and distance but he seems to walk into the woods wearing the same shirt he was locked up in and then pass out for a day?
Also...did they address the fact that he has multiple great horses with the same name?
And yeah, it did look very cheap. But I liked it overall.

Anyway...
AJ and the Queen is very enjoyable.
I strongly dislike drag race, I am not fond of Ru Paul as a person and I find drag shows to be uninteresting.
BUT
This is a really good character driven comedy about a queen who gets conned out of all his money and ends up on a road trip with a stray kid.
Highly recommend. Just not ready to call it one of the greatest.

personate-rain