Author Topic: Rate the last movie you just saw.  (Read 678518 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Rate the last movie you just saw.
« Reply #12405 on: December 09, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Stephen_King
Man, there's a lot of King's stories made into movie and tv shows.
Most are bad, the best aren't horror. Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption etc. 

There are a lot that I think are highly over rated, Carrie and The Shinning come to mind.  Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, they're just not as good as folks think.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12406 on: December 09, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
I thought both versions of the Shining succeeded. Maybe because I saw the non-Nicholson version first, but they are largely similar visions.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
« Reply #12407 on: December 09, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Stephen_King
Man, there's a lot of King's stories made into movie and tv shows.
Most are bad, the best aren't horror. Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption etc. 

There are a lot that I think are highly over rated, Carrie and The Shinning come to mind.  Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, they're just not as good as folks think.
lol I'd love to understand how you're qualifying that The Shining isn't as good as I think it is.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12408 on: December 09, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
I've seen both the Shining and Carrie a number of times, and am only now seeing that I was mistaken for thinking they were good as I thought they were.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #12409 on: December 09, 2019, 04:16:18 PM »
I've seen both the Shining and Carrie a number of times, and am only now seeing that I was mistaken for thinking they were good as I thought they were.
Halo effect.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #12410 on: December 09, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »
Carrie was a great movie. But the really surprising thing is that the remake with Chloe Moritz is also great.

Queen of the Damned (on Netflix now). 5.5/10. Decent popcorn movie. After sleeping away the past century or two, the vampire Lestat decides to emerge from his coffin and become the leader of a rock band. The title character is gorgeous, though she plays a second-tier role in the movie. And there's a secret society that investigates and keeps track of vampires, for no particular reason. One of their members is another very hot lady. So there's two gorgeous women in the movie, which is why it gets 5.5 stars instead of 3.
Daniel
----------------
“You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.”
-- Greta Thunberg

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12411 on: December 09, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer (2018) (Or, Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver): This was one of my favorite books as a kid (it's one of the few books I can actually vividly remember my dad reading to me), so I am 100% biased. It's by Michael Ende, the guy who wrote the Neverending Story, and as such it's pretty imaginative. I vividly recall my dad reading me a bedtime story about a "schijnreus", or "mock giant", which is a guy for whom perspective is inverted, i.e. he looks bigger as you get further away from him. He lives in the desert and guides our heroes to the "black rocks" (I even remember criticizing my dad's intonation on one line that is in the movie about the "black rocks" -which I actually remembered before watching the movie- because the books said the character uttering that line was being "serious", and my dad went for "mysterious" - one of those moments that is somehow etched into my memory). That chapter also taught me what a fata morgana is, albeit in a not so accurate way.

I really like that they made it into a kids movie (long overdue, really), but one thing that really irked me was that a lot of the actors didn't speak German, so they just dubbed them. I guess that's a natural thing to do in a country that dubs everything, but since I hate dubbing I'm not used to it, and when the lips don't match the speech it really throws me off. Would it really have been that hard to get a little black boy and some Asian actors that spoke native German? Well, I suppose maybe it was.

Still, they hit pretty much all of the major plot points I vaguely recall (red/white mountains, mock giants, tiny children in a kind of mock China, a "half dragon" that is discriminated against by a kind of fascist dragon state, a crevasse that massively amplifies sound, and of course the three main characters (the two titular ones and the locomotive they drive, called Emma). The acting is not great, but the visuals are actually pretty good and it seems to have been made by someone who loved the book. They could've done a lot worse. Apparently they are aiming for the sequel (based on the second book) next year. It's obviously a kids movie, but my nostalgia says 8-/10, so I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:47:19 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #12412 on: December 10, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
I remember seeing Christine in the theater and enjoyed it. Not a great movie, but definitely not a case for not making a movie from a King novel.

Carrie was also a good watch.

"I can see your dirtypillows… everyone will."

If only for that line.

I remember enjoying the Salem's Lot TV mini series back in the day. Though I remembered enjoying the It mini series and when I rewatched it a couple years ago it didn't much hold up. But then I rewatched Part 2 after It Part 2 movie version and I realized the TV part 2 was actually better (relatively) than movie Part 2.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #12413 on: December 11, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »
Doctor Sleep (2019): Certainly a good looking movie. The first half felt more like "psychic vampires versus psy superheroes" than The Shining - though not necessarily in a bad way. The return to the Hotel is well done. But my problem is with the feel of the movie. The Shining was scary because creepy things were happening to a little boy and his mom who barely knew what was going on. In this movie Danny and especially his protectee are way overpowered and act more like superheroes iso horror movie victims. As such, there is basically no sense of dread to speak of, and it really doesn't feel like a sequel to the Shining. It's well made for what it is, and as a standalone movie I'd rate it higher. But as it stands, it's more of "Hollywood doesn't quite get it's own movie history", and I'll just leave it at: 7.5/10
Mooohn!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12414 on: December 13, 2019, 06:14:28 AM »
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot 4/10

Theres a couple of scenes that made me smile but overall, even as a long time Kevin Smith fan, this is a bad film.

You can feel the strain as he struggles to create iconic moments, but each one falls flat. The nearest we get is Silent Bobs Glengarry Glenross speech but again, it builds to nothing.
There is some charm to the idea of a Laurel and Hardy type duo stumbling through life and adventures but its just so badly written. Smith isnt a bad director, he is a bad writer.
He has top shelf talent in this film and only Matt Damon manages to deliver his lines without sounding like he took a blow to the head.
For Affleck et al, this is no big deal but for Harleyquinn Smith its a shame, because I feel like she has very little chance of getting work off the back of this.
He takes the piss out of Tusk in this but honestly, I thought that was his best work in a long time and I would be well up for a series of films written while stoned on a podcast. If he did a series of stoned pitches and the best one got greenlit at the end of a season? That would be more in keeping with the Kevin Smith Im a fan of.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12415 on: December 13, 2019, 06:29:56 PM »
Jumanji: The Next Generation Fun/10. They upped the game on this one. More action, more complexity. If they keep this up the third one will be amazing.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12416 on: December 13, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
Knives Out
you all were right/10

Fun movie. Didn't offer a lot, but was engaging.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12417 on: December 13, 2019, 06:47:46 PM »
Knives Out
you all were right/10

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #12418 on: December 13, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
Knives Out
you all were right/10

(click to show/hide)

I hear ya, but them the tropes of that genre.  I thought it was a nice subversion.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12419 on: December 13, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »
Knives Out
you all were right/10

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)