Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 92190 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1230 on: January 26, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
the assassination of gianni versace

Really well done. Only 9 episodes, on netflix now. I remember when he died but didn't know about how crazy it really was. The show is way more about the killer and how messed up he is.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1231 on: January 27, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
Glass 6/10
Really such a waste of potential. All the pieces were in place, the cast was amazing, the premise was great and then...from the second act Shyamalan goes on to waste every bit of goodwill and patience from the audience by over indulgent and overly contrived dialogue scenes and beating us over the head with the concept that the story is going to follow a comic book arc narrative pattern. Except he clearly does not understand comicbooks in the slightest.
The action is exceptionally poor because he has no eye for choreography. Everything is a dull push/pull shoving match and "the beast" is actually pretty inefficient at taking out normal people despite his acrobatic skills.

The finale is poorly conceived, poorly executed and seems like a parody at times due to Shyamalans lazy fear of showing the beast in action.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1232 on: January 27, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
Glass 6/10
Really such a waste of potential. All the pieces were in place, the cast was amazing, the premise was great and then...from the second act Shyamalan goes on to waste every bit of goodwill and patience from the audience by over indulgent and overly contrived dialogue scenes and beating us over the head with the concept that the story is going to follow a comic book arc narrative pattern. Except he clearly does not understand comicbooks in the slightest.
The action is exceptionally poor because he has no eye for choreography. Everything is a dull push/pull shoving match and "the beast" is actually pretty inefficient at taking out normal people despite his acrobatic skills.

The finale is poorly conceived, poorly executed and seems like a parody at times due to Shyamalans lazy fear of showing the beast in action.

Wrong thread I assume  ???

I was looking forward to this. I've just seen Split.

Is the beast different from the one at the end of Split? Without being too spoilery.  8)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1233 on: January 28, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »
Lol! Yes. Wrong thread!
Sorry!!

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1234 on: January 28, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
so yeah i was not thrilled by season 3 of the good place.  It's still an interesting and creative show but I hope it ends on season 4 with a strong close,  they burned through some good ideas so fast that they are pretty much running on empty.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1235 on: February 13, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »
Stargate Atlantis (Amazon)

I just adore this show. I never got to watch the entire series my first go around because they took it off the air, leaving me with hanging with a cliffhanger. I think it was season 2 when it happened. Happy to say that all 5 seasons are on Amazon.

I love Rodney and Sheppard. It's almost like David Hewlett, the guy who plays Rodney, was thrown into the show thinking the whole thing was actually happening. He's such a fantastic actor.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1236 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
Season 4 of The Magicians is killing it.  They are truly firing on all cylinders.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1237 on: February 14, 2019, 09:58:18 PM »
I'm really liking it too. Not as good this season 3, at least not yet, but we shall see.  Not much can surpass Season 3's "A Life in the Day".

Any ideas on who the monster is? I have this wild-ass theory that it is Typhon or Echidna.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:53:18 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1238 on: February 15, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
we haven't started 4 yet but looking forward to. Just stock piled our DVR but may start this weekend.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1239 on: February 15, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
This is a spoiler for the last episode of the magicians and also the last jedi..but

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:42:10 AM by superdave »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1240 on: February 16, 2019, 03:33:59 AM »
Stargate Atlantis (Amazon)

I just adore this show. I never got to watch the entire series my first go around because they took it off the air, leaving me with hanging with a cliffhanger. I think it was season 2 when it happened. Happy to say that all 5 seasons are on Amazon.

I love Rodney and Sheppard. It's almost like David Hewlett, the guy who plays Rodney, was thrown into the show thinking the whole thing was actually happening. He's such a fantastic actor.

I could go into detail about all the things wrong with that show, but only because I've watched it several times. I agree about McKay and Sheppard.

Maybe the main flaw with the show is that it's called Stargate Atlantis as opposed to Stargate SG-1, but it still focused mostly on a small number of characters. We only see them explore the city when the main characters are involved.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1241 on: February 17, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »
Umbrella Academy

I had never heard of the comic book nor the Netflix show and stumbles on this last night. 10 unexpected uninterrupted hours later I can say how much fun this series is to watch. I think Ill watch it again.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1242 on: February 17, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
Nice tip - I'll put it next on my list.  I coincidentally had another recommendation for it in another friend circle just this morning.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1243 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »
Umbrella Academy

I had never heard of the comic book nor the Netflix show and stumbles on this last night. 10 unexpected uninterrupted hours later I can say how much fun this series is to watch. I think Ill watch it again.

The comic is really good.  It is written by Gerard Way, who went on to take up the mantle of Doom Patrol a la Morrison style.   He acquitted himself admirably.  I like his stuff, even if he does sing for My Chemical Romance.

While I am here, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Doom Patrol TV Show.  I don't know if it is one of the Best shows on TV, but it is probably the second best super hero show on TV.  And it has Alan Tudyk.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1244 on: February 26, 2019, 11:17:46 AM »
Nice tip - I'll put it next on my list.  I coincidentally had another recommendation for it in another friend circle just this morning.

Got to the end.  It was pretty good.  Pushed all my buttons.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain