Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 98517 times)

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1320 on: March 26, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
Although one real complaint I have about Love Death and Robots is how ridiculously forced the nudity is. It's like it was a requirement for every episode. "Good Hunting" was particularly uncomfortable as I'm pretty sure the topless female is a child or borderline minor. I know its animated but why even do it?
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1321 on: March 26, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the new FX series What We Do in the Shadows.

It's based on the movie of the same name, which I recommend. Premieres on Wednesday.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1322 on: March 26, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »
Although one real complaint I have about Love Death and Robots is how ridiculously forced the nudity is. It's like it was a requirement for every episode. "Good Hunting" was particularly uncomfortable as I'm pretty sure the topless female is a child or borderline minor. I know its animated but why even do it?

I believe their overall mandate was to do a sexy/funny/horrifying adventure show as a spiritual successor to Heavy Metal.  In many cases they hit the mark, in other cases they missed.  In the couple cases where they were going for sexy and missed, it sticks out.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #1323 on: March 27, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »
I don't know that The Order on Netflix is 'very best' but the ten episode season 1 was enjoyable enough. The tone is relatively adult (violence) but the story is relatively simple overall. Some of the acting is pretty good. It might be aimed more at a YA audience?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1324 on: March 27, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »
I don't know that The Order on Netflix is 'very best' but the ten episode season 1 was enjoyable enough. The tone is relatively adult (violence) but the story is relatively simple overall. Some of the acting is pretty good. It might be aimed more at a YA audience?

I enjoyed it, too.  While I agree that some of the acting’s was good, some of the writing was not.  Some of the dialogue was downright painful.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1325 on: March 27, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »
I started watching Homeland again after abandoning it around Season 3 when it was airing due to too much family drama and too little interesting content.

Apart from its general racism, jingoism and the still annoying overwrought family drama, it is a very good series with fantastic acting and interesting inter-personal dynamics. Probably amongst the best in its genre these days.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1326 on: March 27, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »
"Cardinal" on Hulu. A Canadian police drama starring Billy Campbell and Karine Vanasse

This seems like just another "detectives hunt a serial killer" series, but there's enough intrigue and mystery to make it worth while. Once it gets going it's compelling. We ended up bingeing the first two seasons three or four episodes a night.

We'll start the third season tonight.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1327 on: March 27, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »

I enjoyed it, too.  While I agree that some of the acting’s was good, some of the writing was not.  Some of the dialogue was downright painful.

I watched the first episode and couldn't get over the writing and had to give up. Before I started I read something about the tone of the show changing for the better a few episodes in. Now that I see a few more recommendations maybe I'll give it another shot but man did I have little desire to continue.

FYI: There's a thread called "List of the Not Very Best TV Shows" that's for shows that make you feel like this, brilligtove. You enjoyed them but you admit they're not the best.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #1328 on: March 27, 2019, 06:12:37 PM »

I can feel your excitement.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1329 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
"What We Do In the Shadows"
I saw the movie and thought it was excellent. I was listening to the new SGU and they mentioned the movie. I wasn't sure that it was the same movie that I remember so looked it up. It was and it turns out that there is a TV series in FX. I watched it online and it is just as good as the movie. If you like that type of humor I recommend it.

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/what-we-do-in-the-shadows
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1330 on: April 15, 2019, 08:16:38 AM »
Black Summer on Netflix. I'm glad I didn't read this was a production of The Asylum, producers of an endless stream of low quality mockbuster flicks. I might not have given it a chance. Anyway, The Asylum has shown, if they put their mind to it, they can do a pretty decent modern zombie drama that's not just a piece o' walking shit. Walking Dead comparisons come quickly, and, yeah, this is The Walking Dead but they keep the pace moving. Each ep is ~30 minutes so they don't dick around.

It's fast mover zombies that turn lickity split, which I think is the only way to explain how zombies can over come the military. Zombies that can move at the limit of human ability when the human is not semi cognizant of pain, the limits of their body, or their own mortality. World War Z did a good show showing that.

I'm not sure if head shots kill the zombies or if the characters ever figure that out or they are more realistic that a head shot just isn't something anyone can do on a fast moving, zig zagging zombie.

Something to tuck into over the coming Easter Long weekend, I say. Hrm. Wonder if there's a connection and implication.

I'll say the ending is kind of quick and don't get too attached to any character. 8/10.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1331 on: April 26, 2019, 12:10:59 AM »
Atlanta (S2) - 10/10

It's like a comedy/drama which is notable for its craftsmanship and masterful dollops of surrealism.  It's got a unique feel and is very good.  The Teddy Perkins episode was something else.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #1332 on: April 29, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
Gentleman Jack looks promising after the first episode.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1333 on: April 29, 2019, 04:44:06 PM »
Atlanta (S2) - 10/10

It's like a comedy/drama which is notable for its craftsmanship and masterful dollops of surrealism.  It's got a unique feel and is very good.  The Teddy Perkins episode was something else.

I adore Atlanta and I've watched every episode twice but I have to say I feel like I'm missing something with the Teddy Perkins episode. I feel like it's way overhyped. It's by far the highest rated episode on IMDb so obviously I'm in the minority in my opinion. I don't find Glover's portrayal of teddy Perkins believable and I found the story to be predictable. I dunno.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1334 on: April 29, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »
I liked it as surreal horror.  But, yeah, not sure how much hype it warrants independent on Atlanta writ large.

It helped that it caught me completely off-guard so it was completely fresh.  Also, I honestly didn't know if they were going to kill the main character or not

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

personate-rain