Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 112397 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1350 on: May 06, 2019, 03:25:02 AM »
I am really liking the US TV version of "What We Do in the Shadows"
I had my doubts it could be as good as the New Zealand film, but it is.  8)  It is written by the same team that made the film.

It's a mockumentary style program about a group of Vampires living in Staten Island (The NZ film was set in Wellington)

The episode where they meet the Werewolves (ep 3) is the highlight so far. As it was in the film.

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1351 on: May 06, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
Yes it is very good IMO.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1352 on: May 06, 2019, 08:10:37 AM »
Wathced Melissa Joan Hart's new show on Netflix - Dead to Me - and it was quite good. I like that they're using the 30 minute episode more often for shows that aren't strictly comedies. This show is much more drama than comedy. There are tons of twists and turns so I'll just say Melissa Joan Hart is kind of a bitch and the show starts shortly after her husband is killed in a hit and run accident. Worth a binge. 7.5/10.

Started Remy last night on Hulu. It's another 30 minute dramedy but this one leans more on the comedy. It's about a 20 something devout muslim in NYC and his life, often his dating life but not always. I'd been putting off watching it because I was worried it would be too much like Master of None (which I loved but didn't need to see someone else do) but this show turns out to really take its own spin. Still a lot of similarities to Master of None but all in a good way.

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1353 on: May 06, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »
What did you guys think of Russian Doll? It was ok I thought, an interesting twist on Ground Hog Day. I'm not that happy with the ending.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1354 on: May 06, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »
What did you guys think of Russian Doll? It was ok I thought, an interesting twist on Ground Hog Day. I'm not that happy with the ending.

I enjoyed that, but these two shows are very different. There's no magical realism in either of the shows I just mentioned. They're not trying to be quirky but they have really great quirks despite that. Nothing as in your face as Russian Doll.

Online xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1355 on: May 06, 2019, 06:11:50 PM »

I enjoyed that, but these two shows are very different. There's no magical realism in either of the shows I just mentioned. They're not trying to be quirky but they have really great quirks despite that. Nothing as in your face as Russian Doll.

Yes they are which is what I liked about it. Russian Doll was a problem solving and things changed. Where as Ground Hog day was the same thing every single time. Kind of like if you saved a game in a bad spot and then try to make the best of it. The ending of Russian Doll I'm still not sure about.
Douglas Adams

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1356 on: May 06, 2019, 11:15:45 PM »

My interpretation is that, like a tourist helping a baby elephant out of a ditch, some passing cosmic entity helped some randos out because life on earth is a nightmare.

All in all, I really like it as a low-key inversion of cosmic horror.  Like some Lovecraftian thing was floating through, took a gander at our lives and was like, "Yikes!," then just up and helped a couple sadsacks out by funneling them through an increasingly narrow series of time-loops and fabricated realities toward certain key decisions and interactions.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #1357 on: May 07, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »

My interpretation is that, like a tourist helping a baby elephant out of a ditch, some passing cosmic entity helped some randos out because life on earth is a nightmare.

All in all, I really like it as a low-key inversion of cosmic horror.  Like some Lovecraftian thing was floating through, took a gander at our lives and was like, "Yikes!," then just up and helped a couple sadsacks out by funneling them through an increasingly narrow series of time-loops and fabricated realities toward certain key decisions and interactions.
I bit snarky but....

It sounds like you like the show because of the backstory you wrote for it.

I'm of the same opinion as Xenu.  It was an interesting take on the time loop thing but kind of a let down.  I'd give it a 6.5/10

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1358 on: May 07, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
It sounds like you like the show because of the backstory you wrote for it.

To an extent, yeah.  As a general statement, I don't think you can separate interpretation from the material, no matter what it is.  If your interpretation's supported by the material, it's valid.  And what I described is just the pattern I saw in the material.

It's based on direct cues from the show:
  • The horror movie kid appears to be in control (cosmic entity)
  • Each successive loop's a little more stripped down to the key elements (funnels them into certain key decisions and interactions)
  • After a few loops, the entity manually resetting them (doesn't have all day)
  • Hammers home how miserable people are. Suicide, depression, "Life is a nightmare," etc. (pity as possible motive)
The show's quite vague but I felt like those are hardpoints you can build off.  And they pretty neatly assemble into the above described interpretation.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1359 on: May 07, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »
As a general statement, I don't think you can separate interpretation from the material, no matter what it is.

This is a good way to start describing why I kind of like the Hobbit movies even though they are bad. 

Part of it is what I think of as meta-headcannon, where you take the main Hobbit story as a "real" event, and then take Rankin-Bass, Peter Jackson, Dixon/Wenzel (graphic adaptation) and even Tolkien himself each as a different attempt to tell that story in each creator's own preferred style.  With this meta-headcannon, even the Tolkien version isn't the "real" story, it's his adaptation of the real story into a children's' faerie story, the same way PJ's trilogy is his adaptation of the real story into a 2010s action blockbuster.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1360 on: May 09, 2019, 05:05:50 PM »
Wathced Christina Applegate's new show on Netflix - Dead to Me - and it was quite good. I like that they're using the 30 minute episode more often for shows that aren't strictly comedies. This show is much more drama than comedy. There are tons of twists and turns so I'll just say Christina Applegate is kind of a bitch and the show starts shortly after her husband is killed in a hit and run accident. Worth a binge. 7.5/10.

FTFY  ;)
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1361 on: May 09, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
I really enjoyed the first series of Dead Pixels; basically a britcom about a couple of MMORPG players and their virtual world. Sure, the characters are stereotypes, but who cares.
Mooohn!

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1362 on: May 09, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Wathced Christina Applegate's new show on Netflix - Dead to Me - and it was quite good. I like that they're using the 30 minute episode more often for shows that aren't strictly comedies. This show is much more drama than comedy. There are tons of twists and turns so I'll just say Christina Applegate is kind of a bitch and the show starts shortly after her husband is killed in a hit and run accident. Worth a binge. 7.5/10.
FTFY  ;)

It is so fuckin weird that I got that wrong. I mean I've definitely gotten the two of them confused before but I probably haven't thought about Melissa Joan Hart in like 10 years.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1363 on: May 10, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »
Sneaky Pete is back on Prime for a third season. If you've not seen it, you need to get past the first ep which was their pilot. After the pilot they take the series in a very dark direction very quickly. Season 2 held up well.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1364 on: May 13, 2019, 02:10:52 PM »
FTFY  ;)

It is so fuckin weird that I got that wrong. I mean I've definitely gotten the two of them confused before but I probably haven't thought about Melissa Joan Hart in like 10 years.

I just started watching this too.
I didn't see Christina Applegate's character as all that bitchy, she does have some edge to her. She is definitely a type of person I'm not spending much time with (aggressive well-off real estate agent), but I find her largely sympathetic.
The show is is good as far as I have gotten into it (most of the way)-and they definitely do a good job in leading to from episode to episode .
While I have always found Linda Cardillini to be an excellent actress (and my eye always drawn to her), I have to say that Applegate  has used this series as a means to show far more acting talent than I had ever expected, she is doing a great job.
There's no such thing as denial.

personate-rain