Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 112659 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1365 on: May 13, 2019, 02:22:10 PM »
Wathced Christina Applegate's new show on Netflix - Dead to Me - and it was quite good. I like that they're using the 30 minute episode more often for shows that aren't strictly comedies. This show is much more drama than comedy. There are tons of twists and turns so I'll just say Christina Applegate is kind of a bitch and the show starts shortly after her husband is killed in a hit and run accident. Worth a binge. 7.5/10.
FTFY  ;)

It is so fuckin weird that I got that wrong. I mean I've definitely gotten the two of them confused before but I probably haven't thought about Melissa Joan Hart in like 10 years.

Thanks for fixing that, seams.  I'm far more likely to watch it knowing it's CA than MJH.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #1366 on: May 13, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »
Veep, Series Finale - 11/10

The less you know about it ahead of time, the better.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1367 on: May 13, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
"Line of Duty" is coming back and this looks like it's going to be another good season.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1368 on: May 13, 2019, 09:55:41 PM »
Veep, Series Finale - 11/10

The less you know about it ahead of time, the better.

(click to show/hide)

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #1369 on: May 17, 2019, 02:18:19 PM »
Wathced Christina Applegate's new show on Netflix - Dead to Me - and it was quite good. I like that they're using the 30 minute episode more often for shows that aren't strictly comedies. This show is much more drama than comedy. There are tons of twists and turns so I'll just say Christina Applegate is kind of a bitch and the show starts shortly after her husband is killed in a hit and run accident. Worth a binge. 7.5/10.
FTFY  ;)

It is so fuckin weird that I got that wrong. I mean I've definitely gotten the two of them confused before but I probably haven't thought about Melissa Joan Hart in like 10 years.

Thanks for fixing that, seams.  I'm far more likely to watch it knowing it's CA than MJH.

We finished up dead to me a few nights ago and enjoyed it. Cast and writing where really good. I really like Christina Applegate and glad she has had such a long, rich career. She's someone I'd love to have a beer or glass of wine and talk about life.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #1370 on: May 17, 2019, 05:16:10 PM »
Just finished Dead to Me.  Good, not great and I recommend it.  Its not really clear what the show is.  Its much more drama than comedy but its definitely got some darkly comic beats.  The main characters go to a retreat for folks in grief counseling to get laid for instance. 

Solid acting by both leads. 

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #1371 on: May 22, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »
Catch-22 - 7/10.  If you liked the book, you'll like the series; if you didn't, you won't.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1372 on: May 24, 2019, 10:43:40 PM »
Catch-22 - 7/10.  If you liked the book, you'll like the series; if you didn't, you won't.

I'll give it an 8.5.

I read the book literally 20 years ago but from what I remember: A really good adaptation of the book. Some of the really clever laugh out loud dialogue from the book really can't be translated to the screen but they did as good of a job as they could. It did make the silliness of war and what soldiers are expected to accept feel very real. I guess I recommend it even if you didn't necessarily like the book.. my reasoning is that some of the things that made the book a challenge to read are presented in a more easily consumable way in the series.

This spoiler is sort of a question for people who have both read the book and seen the show
(click to show/hide)

Offline uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #1373 on: May 26, 2019, 04:14:51 AM »
Fleabag

Amazon prime show (it's a British show, so not purely Amazon Prime I don't think). Main character only identified as "fleabag" regularly breaks the fourth wall. It's basically just a show about fleabag who is sort of an awful person. It's very funny, while also having a very sad undertone. Olivia Coleman is in it.

Season 2 is even better (she's less awful) and at 2.5 hours for the whole season it's absolutely worth a quick binge. Watch season 1 first, though, if you haven't.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #1374 on: May 28, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »
Fleabag

Amazon prime show (it's a British show, so not purely Amazon Prime I don't think). Main character only identified as "fleabag" regularly breaks the fourth wall. It's basically just a show about fleabag who is sort of an awful person. It's very funny, while also having a very sad undertone. Olivia Coleman is in it.

Season 2 is even better (she's less awful) and at 2.5 hours for the whole season it's absolutely worth a quick binge. Watch season 1 first, though, if you haven't.

We watched the both seasons this weekend and enjoyed it. So short, the BBC needs longer seasons.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1375 on: May 28, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
Chernobyl.

Fuck. Fuck me. Ugh.

10/10

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #1376 on: June 02, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
Deadwood, the Movie - 10/10

But don't watch it until you've watched all three seasons of the series.

And if you haven't watched all three seasons of the series, what the fuck are you thinking?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:25:32 PM by jt512 »

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1377 on: June 03, 2019, 02:23:43 AM »
I've been binging Vida, and it is fantastic, about 9/10. It is about two Mexican American sisters returning to Boyle Heights after their mom dies, to find out that she was married to a woman with whom they have to share the inheritance of a whole building, with elderly, poor tenants and a gay bar. One sister is successful angry and assholish, the other is an agent of chaos.

It may have a bit too much sex, but otherwise the writing is great, the flawed characters and their dynamics are fantastic, the acting is exceptional and even the soundtrack kicks ass.
Tinkety tonk old fruit & down with the Nazis

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #1378 on: June 03, 2019, 07:30:10 AM »
I'm only one ep in to Good Omens on Amazon. It is an AMAZING adaptation so far.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1379 on: June 05, 2019, 12:48:03 AM »
Binged Good Omens today.  Never read the book, but the show was excellent. 9/10
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain