Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 112161 times)

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1410 on: July 15, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »
And Stranger Things season 4 takes places in a post-WWIII nuclear wasteland, right? Cuz how is the USSR building a military base and having armed soldiers on American soil NOT an act of war?
The thing I find most breaks my suspension of disbelief is that they're all running around in uniforms speaking Russian.  WTF, who would think that was a great plan?  Lets build a big military research facility in enemy territory and send over a bunch goons that don't speak english?  I sort of get for the scientist, maybe they have special skills that aren't readily available but certainly, they'd have enough soldiers that speak English to make it less noticeable.  Also, there point guy with the mayor?

I was a little confused about how this was getting portrayed. I know in the mid-1980s there was still part of the American mindset that the USSR was very technologically advanced, only to learn after the end of the Cold War that they had some really shoddy tech and had become pretty behind the times.
Meanwhile on the show, their tech looks a bit more advanced than the American tech.
I think they took the size of the Russian facility several steps too far.
I think it was just about as good as season two, season one was largely exceptional.
My wife and kids thought season three was great and they thought it was the scariest season.
There's no such thing as denial.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1411 on: July 15, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »
And Stranger Things season 4 takes places in a post-WWIII nuclear wasteland, right? Cuz how is the USSR building a military base and having armed soldiers on American soil NOT an act of war?

We had a three months later and it like everything else was, probably, brushed under the carpet by the spooks. How do you acknowledge the Soviets without also acknowledging what they were there for.

Easier to just sweep it all under the carpet.

Season 4 will certainly include Russia
(click to show/hide)

I loved the
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:03:02 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1412 on: July 15, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
I was a little confused about how this was getting portrayed. I know in the mid-1980s there was still part of the American mindset that the USSR was very technologically advanced, only to learn after the end of the Cold War that they had some really shoddy tech and had become pretty behind the times.
Meanwhile on the show, their tech looks a bit more advanced than the American tech.
I think it was just about as good as season two, season one was largely exceptional.
My wife and kids thought season three was great and they thought it was the scariest season.
Probably depends on what you think is scary, there's lots of body horror in season 3 which wasn't much of a feature in the previous seasons. 

You're right about the Russian facility.  Doesn't need to be so big either. 

Other thoughts:
(click to show/hide)

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #1413 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »
I prefer the theory that the American prisoner is Jack Bauer.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1414 on: July 15, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
Probably depends on what you think is scary, there's lots of body horror in season 3 which wasn't much of a feature in the previous seasons. 

I was thinking they went to the 'body horror ' to dovetail with the '85 thing, with the kids going to see "Day of the Dead" (which I vividly remember doing the summer of '85, even bought the LP soundtrack).
 (Just a few months earlier was Nightmare on Elm Street, which also brought new levels of gore to the genre)

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #1415 on: July 16, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »

I was thinking they went to the 'body horror ' to dovetail with the '85 thing, with the kids going to see "Day of the Dead" (which I vividly remember doing the summer of '85, even bought the LP soundtrack).
 (Just a few months earlier was Nightmare on Elm Street, which also brought new levels of gore to the genre)
I was thinking there were a lot of parallels to the Thing which they even talk about in one episode.
(click to show/hide)
All deliberate I'm sure, considering the intro music is a straight rip off of Carpenter's scores.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1416 on: July 16, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »
I thought of the russian aspect more to do with the red scare at the time and an homage to all of the movies from the 80s where plucky kids take on scary russians.

In a universe where monsters and all your greatest fears are real I think its interesting to look at those other fears too.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #1417 on: July 16, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
I thought of the russian aspect more to do with the red scare at the time and an homage to all of the movies from the 80s where plucky kids take on scary russians.

In a universe where monsters and all your greatest fears are real I think its interesting to look at those other fears too.
Like buttons don't seem to work.  I think this is correct.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1418 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
Season 4 of Veronica Mars brought back some fond memories of that series, and I'm happy to say that imo the new season did not disappoint. I still love the Nancy Drew/Film Noir/Dramedy combo. The ending was a bit of a downer, but then I guess that's that film noir element for you.

EDIT: ETA, I just saw an old season 4 presentation from before it got cancelled, and I must say, I like the season we got now a lot better than the one we didn't get back then. It feels a bit like the parody series that Kristen Bell's character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall stars in. }|:op

« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:23:51 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1419 on: July 22, 2019, 01:28:18 AM »
What show are you guys talking about? I’m lost.
Stranger Things season 3.

I guess I was confused by the mention of it being shorter; season 3 was only one episode shorter than season 2.

I just finished season 3.
(click to show/hide)
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1420 on: July 22, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
I really liked season 3 of stranger things, I think they worked on a few of the aspects of the show that didn't work, though didn't fix them entirely.  By bringing in Russia and by having the mindflayer inhabit Billy, the villians this season had a more human face and didn't feel like fighting mindless onsters like in season 1.  They relied on El's power less.  And we finally get to have Will be more than a punching bag by the upside down.  It wasn't perfect, and these only mitigated some of the issues but it helped.  I also liked how they handled the group fractures and gets back together cliche.  It didn't feel like beating a dead horse like it can in other shows/movies.  Lastly, building on Steve and Dustin's relationship was a great idea.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1421 on: July 22, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »
And we finally get to have Will be more than a punching bag by the upside down.

Not much more. Except be whiny 'cause nobody would play with him and run around in a 5 year olds pair of shorts.

Really all he contributed was his "spidey sense" to let them know whenever the monster was around

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1422 on: July 22, 2019, 06:42:53 PM »
And we finally get to have Will be more than a punching bag by the upside down.

Not much more. Except be whiny 'cause nobody would play with him and run around in a 5 year olds pair of shorts.

Really all he contributed was his "spidey sense" to let them know whenever the monster was around

agreed, but it was at least a step forward.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1423 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
and run around in a 5 year olds pair of shorts.

BUT THOSE WERE COOL BACK THEN!!!

(click to show/hide)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1424 on: July 23, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
oh also -10 points for season: not enough Barb.

personate-rain
personate-rain