Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 103755 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1455 on: August 07, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
I give the boys 6/10.  It wanted it both ways, and that made the characters far too mercurial, IMO.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1456 on: August 07, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »
I give the boys 6/10.  It wanted it both ways, and that made the characters far too mercurial, IMO.

The Deep really fell flat for me. In the first scene we see him in he's a complete and total monster, and then without redeeming himself in any way he's supposed to be the comic foil. And even if it weren't for that weird attempt at changing the character without doing the work the joke situations they put him in were weird and not funny at all.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #1457 on: August 07, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »

The Deep really fell flat for me. In the first scene we see him in he's a complete and total monster, and then without redeeming himself in any way he's supposed to be the comic foil. And even if it weren't for that weird attempt at changing the character without doing the work the joke situations they put him in were weird and not funny at all.

It's the only part that didn't work for me as well - like, he's a monster, and then some bad shit happens to him and it looks like we're being led to sympathize maybe?  I mean, I don't sympathize, like, at all.  Even at the end for his sad mirror scene.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1458 on: August 07, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
It's the only part that didn't work for me as well - like, he's a monster, and then some bad shit happens to him and it looks like we're being led to sympathize maybe?  I mean, I don't sympathize, like, at all.  Even at the end for his sad mirror scene.

I took it as Dark Comedy.

Mild Spoilers:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:32:47 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1459 on: August 07, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
The Boys seems a Bush era commentary (privatization of the military and them being above the law) versus a commentary on the Trump era (dictatorship).
Very astute!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1460 on: August 11, 2019, 08:53:03 AM »
Re: The Boys
As I said I have been rereading the comic and I forgot how specifically problematic it is. Im afraid to say, its flat out racist.
The whole portrayal of black people basically comes from early 2000s Jerry Springer and MTV with a smattering of police proceedurals. Its done in a smug style that thinks it is being progressive while still being edgy but it isnt.

I didnt notice it at the time because thats the sort of person I was too. But I dont recommend anyone read the comics as the show is FAR superior in every way.

Not specifically a post about the show I know but I did somewhat recommend the books upthread and wanted to address that.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #1461 on: August 12, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »
Finished the final season of "Orange is the New Black." One of the best seasons. 

Particularly the depictions of ICE detention of immigrants in legal limbo; that and immigrant children at their own deportation hearings.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1462 on: August 12, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »
Finished the final season of "Orange is the New Black." One of the best seasons. 

Particularly the depictions of ICE detention of immigrants in legal limbo; that and immigrant children at their own deportation hearings.

I've got a few episodes left and I have to agree. I have almost stopped watching several times but I'm glad I kept up for this season (with the exception of the really really bizarre season premiere where we can hear several characters' inner monologues in a really dumb and ineffective way).

You could actually watch this season after missing several seasons and probably understand 90% of it. While many story-lines carry over they aren't that important to enjoying the parts of the show that make this season good.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #1463 on: August 12, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
You could actually watch this season after missing several seasons and probably understand 90% of it. While many story-lines carry over they aren't that important to enjoying the parts of the show that make this season good.

I did exactly this, and had zero problem following any of the story lines.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #1464 on: August 13, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »

I did exactly this, and had zero problem following any of the story lines.

Good to know, we stopped mid way though a few seasons ago. I think season 4 but not sure. We may just pick up the last one.

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1465 on: August 13, 2019, 07:35:26 PM »
Finished that last season of OTNB. Rare for a TV show to make up for a series of mediocre to poor seasons with a really excellent final season. (again I'll state my caveat that the first episode of season 7 was weirdly terrible)

One especially impressive feat was the way they brought back all the old characters (I couldn't think of any they left out) in ways that [mostly] didn't feel forced. Even on those occasions that it felt sort of forced it was still welcome and tasteful.

Also, the whole season was a better commentary on prisons than any season so far, and it as an excellent commentary on immigration prison. And they didn't even say Trump's name once! (I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's right)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1466 on: August 14, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
I'm 2 episodes away from finishing The Boys.

I'm enjoying it but its not exactly the best show. Without seeing the last 2 episodes I would give it a 6/10

That said I still cant stop laughing about one of the scenes in ep 106 that had such a funny inside joke.

(click to show/hide)
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1467 on: August 14, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
I liked the set-up for S2.  Elevates the whole season a bit, imo.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

personate-rain
personate-rain