Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 106139 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1485 on: September 03, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
(click to show/hide)
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1486 on: September 03, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
I just assume they were like the Republican party.  It was gradual enough that it wasn't immediately obvious when they crossed the line into evil and tyranny.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #1487 on: September 03, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
First episode of "Carnival Row" looks pretty good.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #1488 on: September 08, 2019, 12:19:05 AM »
The Boys almost lost me in e01 with the casting couch. It took me three weeks or so to even think about fast forwarding past it to see the rest. I'm glad they handled it the way they did.

Overall it is among the best TV I have seen. Acting, writing, narrative... Damn.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1489 on: September 08, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
I enjoyed Carnival Row. Maybe not in my top of all time list, but solid entertainment. Really liked the rest of The Dark Crystal. And just started The Boys... Is it just me or is Simon Pegg's voice utterly unrecognizable with an American accent? It's weird how different he sounds to me. Then again, it's not as if I recognized his voice when he played the Chamberlain in TDC.

EDIT: Castle Rock was interesting, too. Among the better King adaptations I've seen, though I don't know if it is faithful to the original as I haven't read it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:53:32 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1490 on: September 08, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »
I watched the first episode of Carnival Row. I'm going to withhold judgment for now, but I found it plodding and heavy-handed.  Hopefully it improves.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1491 on: September 08, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
I enjoyed Carnival Row.  It's generic action/adventure fantasy.  Reminded me a bit of some random NPCs questing around Baldur's Gate, if any of you ever played that one.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1492 on: September 09, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »
I enjoyed Carnival Row.  It's generic action/adventure fantasy.  Reminded me a bit of some random NPCs questing around Baldur's Gate, if any of you ever played that one.

I thought the first episode was OK but I felt like it really hit its stride at about episode 4. The main plot line was only mildly interesting (until the second half of the season) but the side-plot lines were much more intriguing. It concluded very nicely and I'm excited to see where the show goes from here. They've opened the door to a much more interesting series of storylines.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1493 on: September 09, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »

I thought the first episode was OK but I felt like it really hit its stride at about episode 4. The main plot line was only mildly interesting (until the second half of the season) but the side-plot lines were much more intriguing. It concluded very nicely and I'm excited to see where the show goes from here. They've opened the door to a much more interesting series of storylines.

That’s how I was hoping to hear it would go. I’ll keep watching and see.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #1494 on: September 11, 2019, 09:38:08 PM »
I was waiting to hear from you all about Carnival Row before starting. The reviews I read were not kind.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1495 on: September 11, 2019, 11:30:02 PM »
I was waiting to hear from you all about Carnival Row before starting. The reviews I read were not kind.

I've finished episode 4, and it's improved somewhat. I think there's a great story in there, which I get glimpses of from time to time, but I'm not sure that it's quite being pulled off.