Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 112431 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1545 on: November 06, 2019, 10:56:29 AM »
Jack Ryan season 2 seems ok so far.
Could do without the Tom Clancy brands take on Venezuela though.
Just finished it.
Yep. They should not have tried to make a fictional version of the power struggle in that country. Especially mixing the CIA in as the benevolent good guys helping to deliver democracy. Its just tacky.
Ryan is made into more of a hard charging action hero in this one, he is a bull in a chinashop making reckless moves that get people killed and never answering for it or acknowledging it. Its all justified in his personal vendetta while other characters he has wronged comparably, just forgive and forget when he explains his need for a team up to achieve HIS goals.
The body count in this season is huge. On a scale with Rambo 2. There is very little use for Ryans analytical ability other than to determine the location for the next set piece.
The final action set piece is absurd
(click to show/hide)
Im very disappointed.

Yeah, it's a pretty silly show.  I was laughing a lot of the way, through.

Still watched it, though, and I'd probably watch an S3.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1546 on: November 06, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
Jack Ryan season 2 seems ok so far.
Could do without the Tom Clancy brands take on Venezuela though.
Just finished it.
Yep. They should not have tried to make a fictional version of the power struggle in that country. Especially mixing the CIA in as the benevolent good guys helping to deliver democracy. Its just tacky.
Ryan is made into more of a hard charging action hero in this one, he is a bull in a chinashop making reckless moves that get people killed and never answering for it or acknowledging it. Its all justified in his personal vendetta while other characters he has wronged comparably, just forgive and forget when he explains his need for a team up to achieve HIS goals.
The body count in this season is huge. On a scale with Rambo 2. There is very little use for Ryans analytical ability other than to determine the location for the next set piece.
The final action set piece is absurd
(click to show/hide)
Im very disappointed.

Yeah, it's a pretty silly show.  I was laughing a lot of the way, through.

Still watched it, though, and I'd probably watch an S3.
Same.
Though I spent a good amount of time berating the screen.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1547 on: November 06, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »
Dark is really quite good.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1548 on: November 17, 2019, 01:05:50 AM »
I just watched the finale of season 2 of Impulse. It's from the same cinematic universe as Jumper (2008), which is how I found it, but they take a different approach. The main character is a rebellious teenager living with her new stepfamily, and she is definitely a flawed character. Aside from her relatively new stepsister, she has an autistic sidekick (who is both great and grate-ing). She discovers that she's a teleporter when she is on the verge of being raped, and spends pretty much the whole series so far coming to terms with that. The series seems to be criticized mainly for the fact that she is a recalcitrant teenager and acts like it, i.e., she's an egocentric character. I think that's kind of a crappy criticism of the series, since that seems to be exactly what they're aiming for. And I mean, well, how well would you have dealt with being a teenager with a bizarre superpower that you're having trouble controlling because it is mainly triggered by PTSD, and which is pretty much guaranteed to attract evil peoples, at that age? I kind of like how they're making the "blessing/curse" thing work. I'd give it an 8/10.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:09:46 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1549 on: November 21, 2019, 03:04:18 PM »
Part way through ep 1 of The Watchmen series. Good but depressing. They've created a world I don't want to live in. If I read it right, Robert Redford was elected president in this universe.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1550 on: November 21, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
Part way through ep 1 of The Watchmen series. Good but depressing. They've created a world I don't want to live in. If I read it right, Robert Redford was elected president in this universe.

Not only was he elected President, he is in his 7th term  ???

Hopefully it doesn't give Trump any ideas  ;D

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #1551 on: November 21, 2019, 04:18:45 PM »

Join us on the watchman discussion when you get caught up. It gets better.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1552 on: November 21, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »

Bear in mind though, Redford has Hydra supporting his campaigns.

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1553 on: November 21, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »

Bear in mind though, Redford has Hydra supporting his campaigns.

Hail Hydra  >:D

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #1554 on: November 22, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
In the comic, wasn't Nixon still president in the 80s?  So basically, the US had only two presidents from 1972 to 2019?

Online Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1555 on: November 22, 2019, 12:40:44 PM »
In the comic, wasn't Nixon still president in the 80s?  So basically, the US had only two presidents from 1972 to 2019?

In the Watchmen timeline:

Richard Nixon was President - 1969 to 1989 (20 years/5 Terms)
Gerald Ford was President - 1989 to 1993 (4 years/1 Term)
Robert Redford is President - 1993 to Present. (26 years/7 Terms)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:43:20 PM by Tassie Dave »

Online swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #1556 on: November 24, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Much as I hate to applaud CBS All Access, Why Women Kill definitely belongs here. I definitely recommend staying away from spoilers and just taking it as it comes, but be prepared for a few truly heartbreaking moments along the way.

(Comedy, Crime) An anthology series that follows three women in different decades all living in the same house, as they deal with infidelity and betrayals in their marriages.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1557 on: November 25, 2019, 12:51:21 AM »
If you like Star Wars, The Mandalorian on Disney+ is really quite good. The effects are generally excellent and the story and main character intriguing. The first episode was a little uneven, but episode 3 was spot-on in tone and execution. I'm impressed.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1558 on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »
I'm also liking The Mandalorian.

Also, Warrior (2018). Chinese Kung Fu prodigy arrives in 1880s San Fransisco and gets caught up in the Tong wars. The Irish join in for good measure. Apparently loosely based on an 8 page screenplay by Bruce Lee. Not really historically accurate, but quite entertaining.
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1559 on: November 25, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
finally caught up on a few favorites from this list.
Sherlock---eh I get why people like this, but it is literally just doctor who and has all the same pros and cons. 

The Boys, I didn't love the first couple of episodes but stuck through it and glad I did.  Once they finally set up all the story pieces it was excellent.  The characters became a lot more 3 dimensional and there are a lot of complex stories to look forward to in season 2.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.