Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 69155 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1125 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
Jessica Jones continued to be the best thing in the Marvel Universe and probably the best series out there, through the second season.
Im finding season 2 a bit dull.

But overall its one of Marvels better properties. The refusal to allow it to full live in and acknowledge the cinematic universe is pretty glaring at times though.

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1126 on: March 13, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
Jessica Jones continued to be the best thing in the Marvel Universe and probably the best series out there, through the second season.

It would have definitely benefited from a smaller episode count. However, I do enjoy that they are doing a lot of thorough character development through the overly long format.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1127 on: March 13, 2018, 12:13:48 PM »

But overall its one of Marvels better properties. The refusal to allow it to full live in and acknowledge the cinematic universe is pretty glaring at times though.

Just started it last night.  So far the pace is appropriate to the Noir genre - I may revise that assessment as I get deeper in.  The whole point of Noir is to start on the surface with a slow pace then things gather steam till before you know it it is careening out of control.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it
If no one seems to understand
Start your own revolution and cut out the middleman

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1128 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:24 PM »

I'm rewatching season 1 of Legion and you'll be hard pressed to convince me there's anything marvel has put out that comes close to touching legion. So fucking clever and well written/produced/directed/acted

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1129 on: March 14, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »

I'm rewatching season 1 of Legion and you'll be hard pressed to convince me there's anything marvel has put out that comes close to touching legion. So fucking clever and well written/produced/directed/acted
I found Legion incredibly tedious and just couldnt stick with it, so I guess you can safely ignore any recommendations I have.

Just finished Jessica Jones season 2 and overall, it is dull.
There are the best and most dramatic character moments that I have seen in a marvel property within it though.

Overall I didnt really like the plot. I didnt like how some of the characters behaved in quite bizarre ways to make llot stuff happen, I felt they deserved better.
The show is about a bunch of really unlikeable people being unlikeable.
That said.
I was hooked for the final 3 episodes and Carrie Ann Moss gave an incredible performance with an amazing scene of vulnerability that really got to me and somewhat made her character (who is basically a snobby creep) redeemable.

Worth watching if you liked season 1. It is certainly the most personal of the marvel stories and is the most detectivey one.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1130 on: March 15, 2018, 01:16:55 PM »
Really enjoying the season of homeland and the Magicians. Homeland if you think about it as a whole is not believable that the same people would go through everything they have. but really appropriate this season and much it times in to current events.  The magicians is just fun.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #1131 on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
About 8 eps into Sneaky Pete season 1. What promises to be a comedy series about a ex con scammer who uses his bag o tricks as a skip tracer evolves into a darker complex story arc of nested scams. As Breaking Bad was a lesson on "better crime through chemistry", Sneaky Pete also works in some education about classic long cons (ie spanish prisoner).
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #1132 on: March 20, 2018, 04:55:25 PM »
Jessica Jones season 2 is quite good. It's uneven in places and some of the supporting character storylines are painful (Trish, you fuckup) but overall it's well worth the watch.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1133 on: March 22, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
American Crime Story: The Assassination Of Gianni Versace - 9/10

Damn they did it again.

I was excited for the OJ season because I already knew a lot about OJ. It delivered.

This season I wasn't that thrilled about. I was too young (and sad to say too straight) to care about Versace when he was killed. I didn't think I'd care enough to stick through a whole season. This was so much better than I could have hoped. Phenomenal cast, amazing story telling, and gives you such an appreciation for how hard the 90s were for gay Americans.

It was also told in a really fascinating way. It's basically (although not entirely) told backwards. It's pretty brilliant. Anyway check it out. Obviously as an anthology you don't need to have seen season 1 but it's worth watching as well.

Offline drwfishesman

• Frequent Poster
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #1134 on: March 26, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »

I concur. Legion is the best.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1135 on: March 26, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
Netflix will have the entire Monty Python's Flying Circus starting in April.

:D

I was planning on buying the boxed set for my son for his 13th birthday a couple months ago but was alarmed to see that the only thing available was used ones.
I suspected that there was something in the words--either a new format introduced or new distribution stream.
My kids are well versed in the Holy Grail. They haven't seen Life of Brian yet, or Meaning of Life, which I think have been a little mature for them yet. (not so much my son, but definitely my daughter)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #1136 on: April 02, 2018, 02:21:25 AM »
I just watched the first two episodes of The Terror, about the Franklin Expedition, and it is great so far.

The cast is brillianf, there is a bit of a vague, creepy supernatural element, the athmosphere is fantastic, so it's all looking great so far.

Why I had to discover it by accident, I do not know.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #1137 on: April 02, 2018, 03:04:02 AM »
Have I mentioned Ash vs Evil Dead? It's still good, still on Amazon, and still goes well above the low hanging fruit of just watching Ash obliterate deadites.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1138 on: April 02, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »
Have I mentioned Ash vs Evil Dead? It's still good, still on Amazon, and still goes well above the low hanging fruit of just watching Ash obliterate deadites.
Man I am LOVING that show! The monster and set design are outdoing themselves every damn week!
And its funny as hell.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1139 on: April 02, 2018, 06:18:39 AM »
Man I am LOVING that show! The monster and set design are outdoing themselves every damn week!
And its funny as hell.

The morgue scene last season... "Oh god... Oh god I'm in the butt!" They went there and I loved it. I am still 13 years old on the inside.
Mooohn!

personate-rain
personate-rain