Author Topic: List of the Very Best TV Shows  (Read 112290 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: List of the Very Best TV Shows
« Reply #1380 on: June 05, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
It's my favourite book. I don't know how many times I have read it. The first time, waaaaaaay back in 1990 when it came out, I finished my first reading while on the bus heading home. I closed the book and laughed my ass off for a solid minute. Then I wiped my eyes, turned the book over, opened it to page 1, and read the whole damn thing again before I slept.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1381 on: June 05, 2019, 02:18:58 PM »
Binged Chernobyl last night and today.  Very good.  Of course characters were collapsed and some liberties had to be taken for the sake of the medium, but it created a very visceral response in me. And I thought the sound design was excellent.  9/10
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #1382 on: June 05, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
Binged Chernobyl last night and today.  Very good.  Of course characters were collapsed and some liberties had to be taken for the sake of the medium, but it created a very visceral response in me. And I thought the sound design was excellent.  9/10

I have been binging Bosch on Amazon. Probably the best police drama I've seen in years. Plus, if you've ever spent time in LA it's the best use of the city and it's locations I've ever seen in any show.

10/10.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1383 on: June 07, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »
Yeah, Chernobyl was really excellent. And apparently very accurate - and pro-science, it seemed. Although it's too bad that they had to resort to representing a whole team of scientists by one made up character. I get why for narrative purposes, it's just kind of disappointing that it perpetuates the myth of the lone genius again.
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1384 on: June 07, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
Yeah, Chernobyl was really excellent. And apparently very accurate - and pro-science, it seemed. Although it's too bad that they had to resort to representing a whole team of scientists by one made up character. I get why for narrative purposes, it's just kind of disappointing that it perpetuates the myth of the lone genius again.

Like the dark cloud of smoke that was actually mostly an invisible cloud of radioactive particles.  After the initial roof fire was out there would have been almost no smoke; but it's hard to dramatize a helicopter straying too close to an invisible line in the air.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1385 on: June 07, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
I feel like these type of shows need to either begin or end with a discussion of all the mistakes and "creative freedoms" they made, to prevent them from being a source of misinformation. People can skip it if they don't care about accuracy, but with no reference to it, it's presented as if it's all fact.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #1386 on: June 07, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
You should listen to the Chernobyl podcast. That is a thread that they talk about for each episode what was real what was the conglomeration and what was done for dramaturgy.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
  • Physics makes us all its bitches.
« Reply #1387 on: June 07, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »
You should listen to the Chernobyl podcast. That is a thread that they talk about for each episode what was real what was the conglomeration and what was done for dramaturgy.

Yeah I really enjoyed the podcast and the "inside the episode" shorts at the end of each one.

I will say that neither of those explained what The Latinist just said about the fact that the smoke wasn't really there - so I have no idea what other liberties they took that they didn't bother to cover.

One tidbit from the podcast I liked, which was obvious in retrospect but which wouldn't have occurred to me was that the old party man in the first episode that praises everyone at the table for protecting the soviet union was simply a representation of the decaying soviet state and its hold over people. Also that the trial occurred in a courtroom that looked identical to the one in the show, but that it was far less dramatic (which is no surprise) and none of the key players we saw testify were actually there but that everything Lagasov says into the microphone were exact quotes (like "I was on the toilet").

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1388 on: June 07, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
I feel like these type of shows need to either begin or end with a discussion of all the mistakes and "creative freedoms" they made, to prevent them from being a source of misinformation. People can skip it if they don't care about accuracy, but with no reference to it, it's presented as if it's all fact.

It is pretty interesting to think about how many inaccuracies the majority of the public holds about historical events come from movies about said events. But you weigh that against the public never really knowing about those events at all. Which is better? Does it actually matter in most cases?

I'm gonna make a thread.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1389 on: June 07, 2019, 05:56:05 PM »

There’s a great podcast hosted by Peter Sagal and the show’s writer that addresses all of these things.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1390 on: June 07, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
I'm on episode 5 of the first season of Cobra Kai and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I loved the original Karate Kid and the fact that they got both the original leads for this and then spun the story 180o is priceless. William Zabka is fantastic. Never thought I'd be rooting for Johnny Lawrence. }|:op

On a side note, whenever I see one of these "through the eyes of the villain" type things, I keep thinking of this:

Mooohn!

Offline Neutral Milk

• Forum Historian
« Reply #1391 on: June 15, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »
Deadwood Season 1 - 10/10

I watched this show when it originally aired 15 years ago and I'd always listed it as one of my all time favorite shows but this is my first re-watch. It's better than I remember. I don't want Deadwood to end so I decided to start the series over before I went ahead and watched the movie. I also like the idea of having full context again before watching the concluding film.

It really has most of the elements people loved about Game of Thrones. Politics, ever-shifting alliances, lots of sex, great characters. The only things it doesn't have are magic and huge battle scenes although it makes up for that with the consistently best dialogue on a TV show bar-none (its own kind of magic) and small fight scenes (usually one on one) that are a joy to watch and feel incredibly real.

If you haven't seen Deadwood yet.. WTF?

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #1392 on: June 15, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »

I watched this show when it originally aired 15 years ago and I'd always listed it as one of my all time favorite shows but this is my first re-watch. It's better than I remember. I don't want Deadwood to end so I decided to start the series over before I went ahead and watched the movie. I also like the idea of having full context again before watching the concluding film.

It really has most of the elements people loved about Game of Thrones. Politics, ever-shifting alliances, lots of sex, great characters. The only things it doesn't have are magic and huge battle scenes although it makes up for that with the consistently best dialogue on a TV show bar-none (its own kind of magic) and small fight scenes (usually one on one) that are a joy to watch and feel incredibly real.

As I‘ve said before, I think Deadwood is the finest series of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline xenu

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #1393 on: June 15, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »
Has anyone watched season 5 of Black Mirror? I watched the first episode. I love the video game. Not the game itself but the idea that you are completely immersed in the program. I guess there are only 3? Is this all that they are going to produce or will they spread the shows out over the summer?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1394 on: June 15, 2019, 09:19:12 PM »

As I‘ve said before, I think Deadwood is the finest series of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely one of my favorites. Although the movie was just ever so slightly disappointing IMHO.
Mooohn!

personate-rain