Author Topic: USB 3.0 Hubs?  (Read 1645 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
USB 3.0 Hubs?
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
I purchased a generic USB 3.0 Hub on eBay and it does not actually operate at 3.0 Speeds. There are utilities that can test it.
Wondering if anybody has a USB 3.0 hub and might recommend some brands that will operate at 3.0 speeds?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: USB 3.0 Hubs?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
I don't have USB 3.0, so I can't help you there.  But, damn, you've not had good luck with buying knock-offs online lately.  Maybe you ought to stick to known retailers?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »
If it is settled tech, I don't think there usually is an issue and was thinking that USB 3.0 was I considered "settled tech," both that it has been out for a while and reasonably workable.  Just before this, I bought a USB 2.0 hub for my laptop and that works great. I also have bought two external blu ray drives on eBay that work fine. The new case for my phone also comes from eBay.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »
does anything operate at the claimed speeds?
I got a USB 3 card/slot thing for my PC a while back, and with my newer 3.0 external drives I get about twice the USB2 speed at best (around 45mb/s on average)

I've never really known, though, if it's just that I have a piece of shit PC (though it's not like file transfers max out my CPU or RAM, so that seems unlikely).
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
It's your money and your hassle, but if I'd been burned twice in a row by fraudulent online listings, I think I'd think twice before buying from an unknown source again.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
does anything operate at the claimed speeds?
I got a USB 3 card/slot thing for my PC a while back, and with my newer 3.0 external drives I get about twice the USB2 speed at best (around 45mb/s on average)

I've never really known, though, if it's just that I have a piece of shit PC (though it's not like file transfers max out my CPU or RAM, so that seems unlikely).

The biggest things that USB 3.0 are my external hard drives where the USB 3.0 allows me to transfer files over much faster than otherwise. I don't use a USB 3.0 card but instead my motherboard came with two ports.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:30:51 PM »
It's your money and your hassle, but if I'd been burned twice in a row by fraudulent online listings, I think I'd think twice before buying from an unknown source again.

\No matter what, you are going to get burned. Just not really worth sending a $15 hub back and instead better just to plug into a USB 2.0 port. I would argue that things very much depend on their source as well. Probably have saved more money by shopping eBay than I have had problems.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
No matter what, you are going to get burned.

Not sure what that means.

Probably have saved more money by shopping eBay than I have had problems.

Again, it's your call.  I merely expressed my own opinion.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »
No matter what, you are going to get burned.

Not sure what that means.

Do you remember when processors were mounted as a slot instead of a socket. It was kind of a brief flirtation with computers. I had never mounted one and built a computer with one. Kept crashing. Brought it to a computer store who told me that I had not mounted the processor right. Got it back and kept crashing. . . They lied. Was a bad motherboard.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »
I have had nothing but problems with every single USB 3.0 product I have tried. Either you get crap speeds or they won't maintain connection.  I've had two different hard drive docks, and one interface card all have the same issue where when moving files they just freeze up.  Similar issues when it's built in on the motherboard, transfers drop dead, after six months will randomly stop recognizing what's plugged into them...

"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
I have had nothing but problems with every single USB 3.0 product I have tried. Either you get crap speeds or they won't maintain connection.  I've had two different hard drive docks, and one interface card all have the same issue where when moving files they just freeze up.  Similar issues when it's built in on the motherboard, transfers drop dead, after six months will randomly stop recognizing what's plugged into them...

I had similar trouble with the USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure. What I have found works well are USB 3.0 hard drives built as USB 3.0 plugged into USB 3.0 ports which are part of my mother board. Never had any issues with them. I have three USB 3.0 device total, 3 TB My Book, a 2 TB Passport, and a 1 TB Passport (all are WD products.) There is a 4 TB 2.5 inch form factor external hard drive by Seagate which I might want to buy in the future although I am kind of hoping that WD begins selling a competing model soon. (Edit: My new phone - Galaxy S5 is also USB 3.0).

When USB first was available in Win 98 days, I had a friend who bought an all USB computer with USB ports for the keyboard and mouse. Was nothing but trouble and had issues myself with a USB plug in for my printer. Now though there are no issues and my new computer does not have any PS/2ports and my mouse and keyboard are all USB and I still have that old printer and now it is plugged into my USB ports. I suspect that USB 3.0 will be similar.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:16:48 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 08:36:08 AM »

I had similar trouble with the USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure. What I have found works well are USB 3.0 hard drives built as USB 3.0 plugged into USB 3.0 ports which are part of my mother board. Never had any issues with them. I have three USB 3.0 device total, 3 TB My Book, a 2 TB Passport, and a 1 TB Passport (all are WD products.) There is a 4 TB 2.5 inch form factor external hard drive by Seagate which I might want to buy in the future although I am kind of hoping that WD begins selling a competing model soon. (Edit: My new phone - Galaxy S5 is also USB 3.0).

When USB first was available in Win 98 days, I had a friend who bought an all USB computer with USB ports for the keyboard and mouse. Was nothing but trouble and had issues myself with a USB plug in for my printer. Now though there are no issues and my new computer does not have any PS/2ports and my mouse and keyboard are all USB and I still have that old printer and now it is plugged into my USB ports. I suspect that USB 3.0 will be similar.

I build and repair computers for a living and I'm still waiting for this magical day when they work they bugs out.  I've learned to just avoid plugging anything into the USB 3.0 ports when I'm setting up a computer for a client.
"The biofield is the master energy field that regulates the body’s functions and informs the body to relax."

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
I build and repair computers for a living and I'm still waiting for this magical day when they work they bugs out.  I've learned to just avoid plugging anything into the USB 3.0 ports when I'm setting up a computer for a client.

I know I have not had issues with WD external USB 3.0 drives - They work fine to be blunt.
If it makes a difference, I also have an ASUS motherboard.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rider

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
I never use anything besides ASUS motherboards. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
I never use anything besides ASUS motherboards.

There likely will be no issue if you stay with factory USB 3.0 hard drives but I bought a USB 3.0 enclosure and it had issues.
Eventually I gave up and just plugged it into one of my USB 2.0 ports.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain