Author Topic: Technical improvement idea  (Read 2781 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
Re: Technical improvement idea
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
For that specific thread, AQB could go to the trouble of sticking the img ] avatar by whoever she is quoting. Maybe even make a table for nice formatting. I dunno if I'd want avatars to always be taking up space in the readin' part of all the threads.

Derp! Why, hello there. Ahmahgahd. Not a euphemism.

I wanted to "like" this but there's no like button for these posts. Why can you not "like" forum admin posts?
Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 12:07:37 PM »
For that specific thread, AQB could go to the trouble of sticking the img ] avatar by whoever she is quoting. Maybe even make a table for nice formatting. I dunno if I'd want avatars to always be taking up space in the readin' part of all the threads.

Derp! Why, hello there. Ahmahgahd. Not a euphemism.

That's a nice use of a feature I never thought to use. But as you can see, it can easily be done - and like most things nowadays, if you don't like it, I assume it should be easy to add an option in the settings to not show it.
I'm just throwing it out there, I'm not a mod or a web designer so I'm all talk, but I actually kinda like it the way Henning presented it.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
EVERYONE forgot about tables. The world is divs now.  :)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
But as you can see, it can easily be done

I'm afraid you're very much overestimating the ease of doing this.  I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not a matter of html and css as you seem to be imagining; sure, it's easy to do a mock-up using even BBCode, but applying this to the entire site would involve scripting in PHP and MySQL, as well as pretty low-level rewrites of the quoting code.  It can be done, but it's by no means easy.

EVERYONE forgot about tables. The world is divs now.  :)

Yeah, if we were to do this the layout would of course all be done with divs and css.  But that's really the least difficult part of it.

I wanted to "like" this but there's no like button for these posts. Why can you not "like" forum admin posts?

Because Like Posts was not enabled for this sub forum.  It is now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:28:13 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell