Author Topic: "What is the podcaster Jay's last name?" registration question  (Read 6294 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: "What is the podcaster Jay's last name?" registration question
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »
Even making you log on using your email address instead of your username has a reason.

I hadn't even noticed that. What does that do, if the answer wouldn't compromise its effectiveness?

There was a member (now banned) who used the "forgot password" feature of this board's software to send hundreds of emails that looked like hacking attempts to a few dozen other members he didn't like. All he needed to know was the other member's username. The way it is now, he would have to know the other member's email address already, and that's not so easily attained.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 10:15:46 AM »
Without data that shows what is and isn't most effective, this would seem to be a subjective question.

I'm sorry, but you guys just aren't in a position to know that data.  You don't and can't have access to the logs, so you really have no idea whether and how big a problem with attempted spam registrations we have.  Since that is the case, you're going to just have to trust that we know what we're doing.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline uolj

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »
Without data that shows what is and isn't most effective, this would seem to be a subjective question.

I'm sorry, but you guys just aren't in a position to know that data.  You don't and can't have access to the logs, so you really have no idea whether and how big a problem with attempted spam registrations we have.  Since that is the case, you're going to just have to trust that we know what we're doing.

It's just feedback. People can trust that you know what you're doing and still provide feedback. Feedback often sounds like criticism or lack of faith in the abilities of those in charge, but I think this is just feedback.

Also, I think I got the wrong impression that you didn't have the stats either. Obviously if you do then that changes the discussion, although I still think the feedback is acceptable.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »

Is there any reason for not making these records public? Perhaps in the form of a quarterly report or something? Is there a compelling reason for this data to be private?

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 12:34:17 AM »

Is there any reason for not making these records public? Perhaps in the form of a quarterly report or something? Is there a compelling reason for this data to be private?

SMF only allows people with elevated privileges (admin, I think; I'm not sure moderators have access) to see the logs. To let everyone see the logs would be a lot of work and a potential security hole.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:43 AM »

SMF only allows people with elevated privileges (admin, I think; I'm not sure moderators have access) to see the logs. To let everyone see the logs would be a lot of work and a potential security hole.

Fair enough, but could an admin spend a few minutes once every three months and produce a quarterly report from these statistics? Would there even be any interest among the regular members in seeing such a report?

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 01:20:56 AM »
I briefly dabbled in being a forum admin a few years ago.  The amount of spam registrations was not small.  My job for a while was to basically delete the spam posts and ban the spam bots.  I can't imagine this forum has any less attempts and I personally couldn't care less about knowing how many attempts have been made.  Maybe if they were successful attempts and it was a real problem I could see going over all this stuff, but since our mod and admin team clearly has things under control in that regard, and as theLatinist pointed out googling the question brings the answer up as the first response, and since there are resources at the top of the homescreen for people who still cannot log in after that, I don't see why this is even an issue.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
I briefly dabbled in being a forum admin a few years ago.  The amount of spam registrations was not small.

I have been a member of boards that didn't have active spam inspections and I can testify that it sucks.  Spam bots make posts and contact members and screw up all sense of community.

Thanks admins!
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »
We'll give the questions and suggestions raised in this thread some thought. It's possible that we're going to come to the conclusion that the Jay question can be changed into something equally bot-repelling but slightly less obscure to those who don't know the podcast (or how to use Google). It's much less possible that we'll start putting out a quarterly report on the efficacy our spam filters, for the very simple reason that I have absolutely no clue why we'd do that and what purpose it would serve.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 07:33:33 PM »
the very simple reason that I have absolutely no clue why we'd do that and what purpose it would serve.

The same reason we have a Personal section, and a Forum Games section, and etc... Because people are interested and would enjoy learning about it and discussing?
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 08:54:01 PM »
The same reason we have a Personal section, and a Forum Games section, and etc... Because people are interested and would enjoy learning about it and discussing?

The slight difference being that we're expected to gather and write up the content that is to be discussed. Would it really be that interesting to discuss the slight rises and falls in the number of spammers intercepted by our filters on a quarterly basis? I'm sure I speak for the entire team when I say that we're willing to put in a bit of extra effort, but the pay-off here seems extraordinarily low.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline TheIrreverend

• A Nonsensical Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • On Her Majesty's Prosecution Service
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
Keep this simple rule in mind when you ask the moderators to do something which might require a significant investment of time:

Volunteers.
"I'm this generation's Disney" - Kanye West, philosopher

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 12:41:24 AM »
But I don't even like Tennessee! >:(
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
You should definitely change that question.
Something along the lines of "What is the podcaster Bobs last name?" seems much more reasonable and accessable.

Ive been over the moon with how few time wasters Ive encountered here. If there is a layer or two of security more than is needed in place then I dont really care. I value the comfort I have here and it doesnt seem logical or productive to start messing with it.
Perhaps a user poll might be in order before taking on something like a quarterly report?

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
Would it really be that interesting to discuss the slight rises and falls in the number of spammers intercepted by our filters on a quarterly basis? I'm sure I speak for the entire team when I say that we're willing to put in a bit of extra effort, but the pay-off here seems extraordinarily low.

Honestly I have no idea if itd be interesting or not. I suspect at least for the first occasion some of us would find it interesting, but its a bit of a Dunning Kruger situation - without knowing the things we dont know, its hard to judge the value of the stuff we dont know.

As a comp sci grad I think Id find it mildly interesting (Ive been known to read captcha system anlysis in the past just for the sake of it), but I cant speak for anyone else. Im happy to take your word for it that its not that interesting, though (and particularly that theres not much interesting variation over time).
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

personate-rain