Author Topic: 7 Signs You Are a Seasoned Windows User  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
7 Signs You Are a Seasoned Windows User
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »

I thought that this was pretty entertaining and has a lot of nostalgia value although I believe my first experience was Win 3.0  or 3.1 with a 286.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-signs-seasoned-windows-user/

I have to wonder how many people today don't know what drive A and B used to be for? Wonder if I can hijack those drive letters when I put a USB stick in.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:34:57 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: 7 Signs You Are a Seasoned Windows User
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:17:27 PM »
I'm old enough to remember the C prompt.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:08:20 PM »
I'm old enough to have used MS-DOS without any GUI.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »
I think a number of us have. . . . .I used to have these snazzy xcopy batch files I created to move files between computers.
Virtually every way I have seen of doing them in windows is overly complex.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:27:41 PM »
I have to wonder how many people today don't know what drive A and B used to be for?

I had to explain to someone today what the C drive was.

I remember the first time I installed a CDRom drive on a Windows 95 machine. It just worked! I didn't have to hack the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get it to work. That was amazing.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
I'm old enough to remember the C prompt.
I use PowerShell a lot as part of my job so I can truthfully say that I see the C: prompt on a weekly if not daily basis. Speaking of which, here are signs 8 and/or 9:

8. Not only do you know what the page file is, you know how to move it and you actually have moved it in the past on some configurations.

9. You know how to move your media folders to a different drive.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 02:07:10 AM »
Those are relatively new things, though. Media folders were only introduced circa Longhorn?
Anyway yeah, I also use PowerShell and CMD a lot, though I find for daily mundane stuff CMD is easier to use because it's not as sensitive to syntax as PowerShell.

And oh boy the autoexec.bat and command.sys days were dark and depressing. I remember having to use all sorts of memory and IRQ allocation hacks just to get my sound card (which was actually a huge card) working in 8 bit midi.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:10:18 AM by Ambious »
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:01:42 AM »
Page files go back to at least Windows 95, and the ability to change their location to... XP, I think? That's, like, 20 years, maaan.

I use Powershell specifically because the web-based platform I administrate/develop on has a big plug-in specifically for Powershell. It also has regular command prompt stuff (mostly just one command that is a massive PITA to use, although I can think of at least two others) but all the juicy stuff is to be had in Powershell cmdlets.

IRQ conflict crap and playing with base/extended/enhanced memory are two things I am very, very happy that we don't have to deal with anymore. I remember people were bitching back in the day about Win95 moving away from the 640k base, but by then memory sticks were quite a bit larger than that and, well, there was only limited utility in being able to keep software backwards compatible to the days of the 8086.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

IRQ conflict crap and playing with base/extended/enhanced memory are two things I am very, very happy that we don't have to deal with anymore. I remember people were bitching back in the day about Win95 moving away from the 640k base, but by then memory sticks were quite a bit larger than that and, well, there was only limited utility in being able to keep software backwards compatible to the days of the 8086.

I was fortunate enough to be an AOL phone tech in those days.  Trying to walk people who are completely computer ignorant through fixing IRQ conflicts and modifying modem strings was all kinds of fun.  Oh yeah... those were the days.

Online jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »

8. Not only do you know what the page file is, you know how to move it and you actually have moved it in the past on some configurations.

9. You know how to move your media folders to a different drive.

10. You finally gave up and installed Linux.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
My first computer was an ancient machine that a friend lent my family.  It was an old IBM that ran DOS 3.0.  This was in about 1994, so even by then this machine was badly outdated.  It really helped me learn about computers.  I am glad we had it.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:28:33 AM »
My first computer wasn't really mine. It was the family computer. A gateway2000 that came in the big cowprint box. It came with a free copy of Lucasarts MonkeyIsland, Loom, The Dig, and Day of the Tentacle. Changed my life.

Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline SpaceTrout

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
I use Powershell specifically because the web-based platform I administrate/develop on has a big plug-in specifically for Powershell. It also has regular command prompt stuff (mostly just one command that is a massive PITA to use, although I can think of at least two others) but all the juicy stuff is to be had in Powershell cmdlets.

I used PowerShell extensively in my last job.  IMO, it is one of the few things that MS has gotten right in quite a while.  It is so versatile and (GASP!) intuitive.  I used it for automating backups, executing reports, monitoring, remote management (services, software inventory and installation), user interfaces for file formatting, running SQL updates and user management in Active Directory. I was just getting into workflows before I left the job.  The only problems I ran into were pokey performance on big jobs (I'm guessing because of the slightly higher overhead due to running through .Net, but maybe I'm just impatient) and occasional weirdness with execution policy enforcement (could have been inconsistent group policy on the domain). Good stuff.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 07:29:18 PM »
For me, the big kicker is that because both the product I develop for/support (SharePoint if anyone cares) and Powershell are .NET based, the objects in PS have the exact same format as they do in C#. Opening up a Powershell command prompt saves me a crap-ton of time when I need to figure out, for example, the different ways I can look up a document from inside of a website. Without that support I'd have to go and search for the answer on Google or (gasp!) find a property of an object that I think looks like the thing that I want to index with and then run the program to see if in fact that's what it does. And then, of course, as you note, automating scripts is a breeze (and yet somehow opaque to so many of my fellow SP devs, but what can you do?).

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:30:49 PM »
To This day I still have the 11 floppy disks for windows 3.1
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.