Author Topic: 7 Signs You Are a Seasoned Windows User  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: 7 Signs You Are a Seasoned Windows User
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 12:39:42 AM »
If memory serves, Windows 95 required 25 of them. Back in the day that meant you had to just sit in front of your computer all day feeding floppy disks into that bad boy.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 12:45:40 AM »
I don't remember 95 - I always installed it from CDRom - but I do remember that Windows NT 4 was on about thirty floppies.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
What I miss about win95/98 is being able to make up product keys for it on the fly.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 12:46:51 PM »
If memory serves, Windows 95 required 25 of them. Back in the day that meant you had to just sit in front of your computer all day feeding floppy disks into that bad boy.

I remember something to that amount as well, or something between that and 35. Anyway, your one before last floppy was ALWAYS corrupted, and those things weren't fast, mind you.
I think if there's one field apart from transistor capacity where we've really advanced eons in it's exchangeable storage.
I had a feeling we've surpassed Moore's law, and the numbers tell an amazing story:
In 1971 IBM released the first floppy disk which was 8" in diameter (surface area of approx. 32429 mm2) and contained 80KB of storage.
That's 0.002466...KB per mm2.
Moore's law says it should double every 24 months (the less harsh '18 months' time period was later factored by David House, one of Moore's colleagues), so that means that in 45 years, it should have doubled 22.5 times. Meaning it should now be around 0.002 * 222.5 kb/mm2 which is 14632.9 kb/mm2 - which is approx. 14 MBs per mm2!
This means the best microSD could only contain about 2240MBs, which is approx. 2GB.
The highest capacity of a commercially available microSD card is 128GB. A microSD card is approx. 165mm2. That would be 775758kb per mm2, which is 775.8MB per mm2 which is 55 times more than the harshest approximation according to Moore's Law.
Had the storage advancements been in accordance to Moore's law, we would only get to that in the year 2046!
Note that all these calculations only takes into account removable self-sustained storage, meaning it did not take into account detachable storage such as external hard-drives, although my back-of-the-envelope calculations actually seem to say that microSD cards are far more efficient than SSDs: The highest capacity SSD available commercially 'only' holds 4TB in a box of 100mm x 10mm x 70mm = 70000mm3, which would hold (assuming the height of 1 microSD card is 1 mm) 4375 microSD cards which at 128GB each would be 560TB, which means the best SSD in the market is 140 times LESS effective than a microSD card!
Of course none of that takes into account things like consumer price and speed, mostly because I couldn't find data about those things going back far enough, but I have a feeling we made huge advancements in those areas as well ;-)
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »

Never tried to install Windows 95 with floppy disks.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline cantor_set

• Brand New
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »
This one is kind of memorable, specially when you were in the middle of something important...

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
This one is kind of memorable, specially when you were in the middle of something important...

It's memetic at this point, but hasn't REALLY been a problem since Windows XP, or, rather 2000 (depending on which was your first NT based version).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

–Maimonides

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 02:56:16 PM »
Still can lose data with Windows NT based OS though
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 03:10:46 PM »
Even 8 has a BSOD. It even has a frowny face on it.

I have to say, I prefer the "just the facts, ma'am" stuff that the older versions gave you. The frowny face only serves to piss me off even more in a situation where I'm already likely to be pissed off because my computer crashed for no apparent reason.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
When my old Dell laptop started crashing, I was able to get that the error was caused by the video card by the codes.
Turned out it was dying.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »
Still can lose data with Windows NT based OS though

Even 8 has a BSOD. It even has a frowny face on it.

I have to say, I prefer the "just the facts, ma'am" stuff that the older versions gave you. The frowny face only serves to piss me off even more in a situation where I'm already likely to be pissed off because my computer crashed for no apparent reason.

When my old Dell laptop started crashing, I was able to get that the error was caused by the video card by the codes.
Turned out it was dying.

Oh definitely, it can still happen but it no longer happens over every little bleep. Even GPU has received a serious backbone and random driver issues, software or memory errors no longer cause BSODs (especially not at the rate they did in Windows 9*/ME). When those DO occure it usually means you have a serious hardware issue, and you can still find those error codes through the recovery environment when needed.
–Maimonides

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
With my laptop, I had upgraded to Windows 7 and the code was pretty useful. The BSOD with Windows 95 was pretty useless in my opinion. Also, with OS prior to Windows XP (not including NT or 2000 because they were uncommon), you simply could not effectively use a computer as a TV server because the computers could run trouble free for more than a day or so.
— Robert G. Ingersoll