Author Topic: \m/ Metal \m/  (Read 21819 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: \m/ Metal \m/
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:01 PM »
I was mainly commenting on the fact the kick drum is back to And Justice mix levels.The Black album changed their sound a ton, I feel like this is the first time they've gone back a little. Although to be honest I don't recall much about Death Magnetic, haven't listened to it since it came out... I didn't think it was bad, just uninspiring.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Going old school.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
I was mainly commenting on the fact the kick drum is back to And Justice mix levels.The Black album changed their sound a ton, I feel like this is the first time they've gone back a little. Although to be honest I don't recall much about Death Magnetic, haven't listened to it since it came out... I didn't think it was bad, just uninspiring.

So, I’ve listened to "Hardwired..." a couple times over the weekend, and a few things spring to mind.

One is that the record isn’t all that great.  It’s not horrible, but most of the songs aren’t grabbing me.  I like a few songs such as “Atlas, Rise!” and “Spit Out the Bone” but nothing is an instant classic or anything.  Perhaps Metallica will now fall into the pattern that 21st century Motorhead records had.  Each album had a couple songs that delivered the band as I liked/want them, then the rest was just sorta filler.  That’s fine. 

Also, I did like the Rainbow/Dio covers, but it would be pretty hard to mess those up.  Except, why the medleys?  You’re Metallica.  If you want to put 3 Rainbow covers or Sabbath covers on your record, who’s going to stop you? Just do it. I wouldn’t complain.

A couple thoughts on performances.   Is Lars actually becoming a good drummer?  Not just a good “Metallica” drummer?  There were a couple songs where I found myself thinking: “Wait, was that a vamp, and a complicated fill?”

I can’t tell if Trujillo is simply a superior bassist to Newstead or if it’s just he’s been given the opportunity to provide input and improve his parts of the songs.  I suspect it might be both.

I find it amusing that at one point in the band’s life, James and Lars thought that the band would be better if they didn’t just allow Hammett to go berserk with the pedal and his solos in pretty much every song.  I think at one point they totally misread how important Kirk was to why people liked their songs.

Well.  There it is.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
Hardwired has definitely grown on me.
I like that they sorta took their sound from the 80s and mixed it with the melodic tight capabilities they developed in the 90s.

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »

So, I’ve listened to "Hardwired..." a couple times over the weekend, and a few things spring to mind.

One is that the record isn’t all that great.  It’s not horrible, but most of the songs aren’t grabbing me.  I like a few songs such as “Atlas, Rise!” and “Spit Out the Bone” but nothing is an instant classic or anything.  Perhaps Metallica will now fall into the pattern that 21st century Motorhead records had.  Each album had a couple songs that delivered the band as I liked/want them, then the rest was just sorta filler.  That’s fine. 

Also, I did like the Rainbow/Dio covers, but it would be pretty hard to mess those up.  Except, why the medleys?  You’re Metallica.  If you want to put 3 Rainbow covers or Sabbath covers on your record, who’s going to stop you? Just do it. I wouldn’t complain.

A couple thoughts on performances.   Is Lars actually becoming a good drummer?  Not just a good “Metallica” drummer?  There were a couple songs where I found myself thinking: “Wait, was that a vamp, and a complicated fill?”

I can’t tell if Trujillo is simply a superior bassist to Newstead or if it’s just he’s been given the opportunity to provide input and improve his parts of the songs.  I suspect it might be both.

I find it amusing that at one point in the band’s life, James and Lars thought that the band would be better if they didn’t just allow Hammett to go berserk with the pedal and his solos in pretty much every song.  I think at one point they totally misread how important Kirk was to why people liked their songs.
I concur, with all of it.
Trujillo though is a better bass player than most bassists. The guy is a monster player. When you get to that level it's tough to compare who is "better," but I would say in raw ability he's probably better than Burton was, but Burton was also a master song writer, so it's kind of a moot point to compare them. But yeah, Trujillo can play the shit outta that instrument.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
I've never seen Cliff live in person, just videotape.

I've seen Newstead do his bass solo/doodle around thingy live leading into "For Whom The Bell Tolls" in person as part of two Metallica sets and it was good both times.  I've seen Trujillo do that same thing once in person.  His made me say "holy shit".

Also, this popped up on my facebook feed today.  Fun day.

(click to show/hide)
Well.  There it is.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #232 on: December 08, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »

Sometimes I feel like this. Is that a reason to be concerned?
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
moderation in all things.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2017, 05:32:22 PM »
Been really into Iced Earth recently.
They're REALLY good!
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:02 PM »
Iron Maiden is back out in the US this year with GHOST!!!!

Totally going.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »

Totally going.

damn.
that's one heckuva bill.
checking ticket prices now.
Anyone in the nyc/nj/pa area?

edit, sorry to the UK people who are stuck with shinedown.  We totally got the better end of that stick.

also wow that was your 667th post..what timing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:26:17 PM by superdave »

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »
hahaha no that's my signature.  :laugh:

The last band they had out to was meh, but it was Steve Harris's son and I think Roger Water's kid too. Didn't do much for me, but Ghost should kill.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
Been really into Iced Earth recently.
They're REALLY good!

was never 'my genre', but I couldn't frong on Watching Over Me or Transylvania
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2017, 10:04:01 AM »

Totally going.

damn.
that's one heckuva bill.
checking ticket prices now.
Anyone in the nyc/nj/pa area?

edit, sorry to the UK people who are stuck with shinedown.  We totally got the better end of that stick.

also wow that was your 667th post..what timing.

Maiden/Ghost coming June 3rd in the Northern VA/DC area.

Totally going.
Well.  There it is.