Author Topic: Reanimated Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers!)  (Read 17911 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Reanimated Walking Dead Thread (Spoilers!)
« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
Yeah, I couldn't honestly say how it would play out, but I feel like in general the remainders would be a little more cooperative, but really most of the drama of the show happens because people get super irrational about taking revenge. I suppose there might be a selection bias for psychopaths who would go to any lengths necessary to protect themselves, but humanity would only survive by strength in numbers, and as slow moving as the zombies are they would make short order of them once organized.
It's fascinating to me, the idea of living in a post apocalyptic society where if your spouse dies in his or sleep from a heart attack, you have to immediately drive a knife into their head to keep them from eating the family. What a world.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
Someone pointed out, this season ends nearly the same way last season ended. A whole season to pretty much get us right back to where Rick & Co. were last year.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »
The finale was a bit silly.

The tip people are a bit too feral and weird for such a short time period since the plague (2 years)

How did the Hill people, the Alexandrians and the Kingdom get so good (and competent) at military strategy? and how could they distinguish friend from foe?
In a real life situation there would be wide spread panic and multiple friendly fire deaths.

and Shiva  ??? How the fuck do you aim a tiger. Once released, it's 50/50 whether she goes for friend or enemy

I'm still on board, but I want the Saviour's storyline tied up quickly next season. Quicker than the comic managed.

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
Someone pointed out, this season ends nearly the same way last season ended. A whole season to pretty much get us right back to where Rick & Co. were last year.

Not.

This season got to the point where last season ended, but then it went way past that. Did you watch the whole season finale, or did you stop after an hour?

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #289 on: April 05, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »

Not.

This season got to the point where last season ended, but then it went way past that. Did you watch the whole season finale, or did you stop after an hour?

Yes. This is the assessment I agree with:

But apart from the finale’s tearjerker moments of finding out who lives and who dies, showrunner Scott M. Gimple has largely left us where we were at the end of season six: with the threat of Negan unresolved, Rick still vowing to kill him, and tearjerking montages of characters preparing to fight.

http://www.vox.com/2017/4/3/15156968/the-walking-dead-finale-recap-first-day-of-the-rest-of-your-life

Korean Podcast

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #290 on: April 05, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »

Not.

Yes. This is the assessment I agree with:

But apart from the finale’s tearjerker moments of finding out who lives and who dies, showrunner Scott M. Gimple has largely left us where we were at the end of season six: with the threat of Negan unresolved, Rick still vowing to kill him, and tearjerking montages of characters preparing to fight.

http://www.vox.com/2017/4/3/15156968/the-walking-dead-finale-recap-first-day-of-the-rest-of-your-life

Yeah, and the dead are still walking, so nothing changes, right?

I just don't think that's a fair comparison at all.

At the end of last season, the Alexandrians were literally on their knees after suffering a major defeat and were completely alone at the mercy of the Saviors. At the end of this season, they were no longer on their knees in defeat. They had just won a major victory, allied with Hilltop and the Kingdom.

Yes, the conflict is not resolved, there was no coup de gras or knockout blow, but their situation is nothing like the end of last season.

The “future” our heroes are fighting for is just as violent as the present

Watching this episode, I finally figured out why the show has so fully stagnated when it comes to its themes of violence this season.

It’s not just that ever since last season’s controversial finale, the show has committed itself to drawn-out suspense built around brutality. It’s not just that Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and his sadism have dominated a plot line that has often felt listless and stalled out except for occasional gratuitous acts of violence. It’s not just that these violent acts have had no real impact on the plot or yielded any long-term repercussions.

I guess the writer of that post doesn't like violent TV and wouldn't be satisfied until all the groups formed something like the EU (before Brexit, of course).

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
Showrunner Scott Gimple has said he wants the show to run twenty years.

Twenty. Years.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »

Twenty. Years.

They have enough material already available to get it to at least 10 seasons.
With Kirkman into his 14th year of the comic and looking like ending it no time soon. 20 years looks achievable. As long as they can maintain the interest of the viewers.

I will agree they would need to lift their game from Season 7.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »

Twenty. Years.

I would really like if they wrapped it up this season or at least the next season. This show really needs an end point.

Korean Podcast

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #294 on: October 27, 2017, 01:39:54 AM »
Reanimating this reanimated thread...

I like this show, but the new season opener really makes it challenging! Spoilers ahoy:

• Rick was shot in the previous episode, and Michonne had the crap beaten out of her. So just how much time has passed between these 2 episodes to allow Rick to heal up and go taunt Negan?? It had to be several days at least, so in the meantime, why didn't Negan regroup, grab his military-grade weapons, and go back to confront Rick and the superfriends? Why sit around "having a meeting" for what must have been those several days.
  • When the superfriends went to taunt Negan, why on earth did he just walk unarmed out onto his balcony? Did he think Rick no longer wanted to kill him? Did he think that Rick just wanted to talk?
  • SHOOT HIM NOW, RICK! SHOOT HIM NOW!!
  • Speaking of, Fr. Gabriel has a gun. Negan has a bat. That should be the end of Negan -- but I bet it won't be.
  • Too many speeches.

I'll keep watching the show, but very annoying last Sunday!
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #295 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
Rick was shot in the previous episode, and Michonne had the crap beaten out of her. So just how much time has passed between these 2 episodes to allow Rick to heal up and go taunt Negan??

Look at little baby Judith. She looks ways older now than she looked in the season finale. She's played as a 6-year-old, so it may be more than a year.

(Same thing happens in Game of Thrones, they don't tell you how much time has been passing between events, episodes, seasons, but Sawmill's little stepson is a toddler now.)

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #296 on: October 27, 2017, 01:17:03 PM »
Rick was shot in the previous episode, and Michonne had the crap beaten out of her. So just how much time has passed between these 2 episodes to allow Rick to heal up and go taunt Negan??

Look at little baby Judith. She looks ways older now than she looked in the season finale. She's played as a 6-year-old, so it may be more than a year.

(Same thing happens in Game of Thrones, they don't tell you how much time has been passing between events, episodes, seasons, but Sawmill's little stepson is a toddler now.)

Maggie's pregnancy has barely advanced, however.  So it couldn't be too long.  Maybe a month?
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #297 on: October 27, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »

Maggie's pregnancy has barely advanced, however.  So it couldn't be too long.  Maybe a month?

Good point. Nevermind!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:39:17 PM by estockly »

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #298 on: October 27, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
I stopped reading the comic right at the end of The Negan War. It was a good end point for the series I thought. I'm thinking I'll drop the show at the same place, which will possibly be the end of this season if they don't pad it out.

BUT if Negan's fate is the same as in the comic....TV viewers are gonna be pissed I'm betting.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2017, 02:15:21 AM »
I finished the 1st Compendium but haven't cracked open the 2nd one yet. Does that complete the Negan arc in the comics? I might just wait until this season of the TV show finishes before going back to the comics. Don't want to spoil anything.
"The power of Christ compels you!"

personate-rain