Author Topic: Hugo Award Politics?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
Hugo Award Politics?
« on: April 19, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »
So I was dimly aware that there were some political shenanigans regarding the Hugo awards in the past few years, but since I'm not an avid sci-fi reader I had no clue about the details.  Today I heard a segment on On The Media about the Hugos, and wow, this is f'ing crazy.  I was under the assumption that right-wing science fiction authors were just mildly annoyed with the changing cultural trends.  I had no clue of the underhanded methods they were taking to manipulate awards and polls.  While I doubt he represents the attitudes of most right wing sci-fi fans, John C. Wright appears to be flat out mentally ill.

OTM Piece :  http://www.onthemedia.org/story/hugo-awards-sad-puppy-edition/

Anyone have more details about the transformation of the Hugos?  The Gamergate whining appears to get inevitably get latched onto this issue, and I'd prefer to steer clear of it here.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Hugo Award Politics?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »
Anyone have more details about the transformation of the Hugos?  The Gamergate whining appears to get inevitably get latched onto this issue, and I'd prefer to steer clear of it here.

From what I can tell, you're basically asking for details, and then asking to steer clear of the details (you'd have to do some serious rhetorical backflips to talk about Sad Puppies without talking about GG).  They are both symptoms of a conservative/traditionalist backlash against the progression of society.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

You may want to befriend David Gerrold on Facebook. He's a gay science fiction writer ("Star Trek: The Trouble with Tribbles") who is hosting this year's ceremony and he's kind of caught in the middle and has done some posts about it.

https://www.facebook.com/david.gerrold
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
Wow.  How sad.  I agree with GRRM.  It done broke.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »

From what I can tell, you're basically asking for details, and then asking to steer clear of the details (you'd have to do some serious rhetorical backflips to talk about Sad Puppies without talking about GG).  They are both symptoms of a conservative/traditionalist backlash against the progression of society.

I didn't realize how closely the two were tied up together.  I guess I should have known, considering the invasion of "OMG ETHICS IN JOURNALISM FREEZE PEACH TWO SIDES TO THE STORY" comments on the piece I linked to.

Oh well.  The ultimate result for me is seeking out new female/minority/progressive authors.  Mission accomplished, Sad Puppies.   ;D

Online amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »
If you want a completely (unapologetically) partisan snapshot, check out Scalzi.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:19:48 PM »
If you want a completely (unapologetically) partisan snapshot, check out Scalzi.

Wiki did a brief non-partisan snapshot:

In 2015, two groups of science fiction writers, the "Sad Puppies" led by Brad R. Torgersen and Larry Correia, and the "Rabid Puppies" led by Vox Day, each put forward slates of nominations which came to dominate the ballot.[32][33][34][35][36] According to Torgersen, the Sad Puppies campaign is a reaction to what he considers the prevalence of "niche, academic, overtly [leftist]" - as opposed to "fun" - science fiction among award nominations and winners,[32] and in opposition to "an affirmative action award" that preferred female and non-white authors, or works featuring such characters.[37][33] The campaigns triggered an "uproar"[32] among some fans and authors,[38] with at least one nominee declining their nomination before the ballot was published and two afterwards,[32][39] a fourth attempting to decline after the ballot was finalized,[40] many people advocating "no award" votes,[37] and multiple Hugo Award winner Connie Willis declining to offer to present the awards this year.[41] This was the first time in the history of the Hugos that a nomination was declined after the ballot was published, rather than before.[42] The Guardian and The A.V. Club assessed the campaigns as a "right wing",[32] "orchestrated backlash"[43] by a "group of white guys"[44] against a trend of increasing diversity in the Hugo awards. Conversely, National Review characterized the negative response to the Sad Puppies slate as "leftist", "slanderous" and noted that the Sad Puppies slate included women and non-Caucasian authors.[45] Various commentators compared the affair to the Gamergate controversy.[46][35][36] The Boston Globe[46] called the Sad Puppies "Gamergate-affiliated", which Correia denied.[47][48]
Hugo Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Award#Since_2000

The "Talk" discussion for the page is almost entertaining.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
Here's a link that was tweetered by Neil Gaiman (who is solidly not in the Sad Puppy camp).

Science Fiction's White Boys' Club Strikes Back

It's long, but looks backward in a way that challenges the Sad Puppy narrative.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online amysrevenge

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
Here's one that goes even deeper.  I've been getting a lot of links in Twitter today about this - I guess people have had enough time to digest and write about it.

Guided by the Beauty of Their Weapons: An Analysis of Theodore Beale [aka Vox Day] and his Supporters
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 12:22:25 AM »
My internet is down so I haven't been able to respond, but thanks for all the links.  The scalzi one made my day.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

personate-rain
personate-rain