Author Topic: Non-skeptical must reads?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Dr Andrew Weil.  I quite liked his "Healthy Ageing".
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
Re: Non-skeptical must reads?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
I don't personally recommend going to read stuff by "the other side" unless you really want to because I for one don't find it terribly enjoyable or enlightening. I understand the moral hazard there of getting caught in a loop where you only believe in skepticky things because you're never exposed to the alternative, but I also feel like you can get quite a bit of exposure to "alternative" points of view just by interacting with the outside world.

Some of the Ray Comfort/Kirk Cameron videos are amusing enough to sit through if you're into irony.
I'm trying to educate myself, and I have never encountered much woo and pseudoscience in my personal life. I'm not talking about reading all kinds of crap, just a little bit. But I guess a couple of articles now and then will suffice?

Consider yourself lucky.

It depends what sort of woo interests you.

I was a huge fan of the occult, so I am, or was, fairly well versed in astrology and tarot cards, I also had a dabble in Wiccan.

Recently, I read a book by Rudolf Steiner (Waldorf Schools/Anthroposophy), and when I wasn't bored to tears, I was laughing my ass off.

You could always pick a religious book like the Bible or Koran, it really does depend on your interest.

You might just find that it really it is really quite tedious reading utter bullshit.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »
OP mentioned some Kevin Trudeau books.  Despite never having read them, I think I can assert that these are the 'other side' books that you shouldn't even bother with.  There will be absolutely zero content in these books, very few lessons on how to directly combat nonsense, and plenty of stuff that just plain pisses you off.

My suggestion is to try to find sources with at least a shred of scientific clout, or alternatively, find books written by people who are way too obscure to ever make money off their nonsense.  Trudeau wouldn't meet this standard, nor would anyone cranking out a diet book once a year.  If you're interested in evolution, I'd eventually check out Behe's intelligent design book to see what passes for evidence in the creationist circles.  There are probably a handful climate change skeptics that are worth reading, although I honestly have no clue who they are because the conspiracy nuts have successfully elbowed them out of the way.

As Tatyana pointed out, it is exhausting trying to read some of this stuff.  Some of the better hucksters are successful simply because they have time on their side; it will take you hours to fully dissect arguments that literally took them five minutes to research and write down.  Not worth it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:34:57 PM by Sawyer »

Offline spawnstar

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
Watch Ancient Aliens and play spot that logical fallacy. It's a pretty entertaining watch.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 04:36:02 AM »
If you want to get a feel for where the other side is coming from, try watching what the bleep do we know. It's infuriating, but educational in a sense.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Online superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 06:36:56 AM »
I read one of Jenny Mccarthy's books.  It was helpful in the sense that it made me more understanding the anti vax crowd.  As a book it was a pretty bad but very light reading,  I finished it in an afternoon.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:21 AM »
Carlos Castaneda 'The teachings of Don Juan'. A fun read, as are all of his books in that oeuvre, if you like trying to separate fact from fiction.

'The Celestine Prophecy'. Not so much fun to read but a good insight into how a magico-religio-spiritual-o model of reality can be quite compelling for the suggestible.

Erich Von Daniken 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. How to stitch together meaningless patterns and geographical triangles into million dollar book sales.
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

personate-rain
personate-rain